2012, Mayan end date.

ify_

Mar 19, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
That's right, people. If these guys are correct, we're going to become a telepathic race.

[/facepalm]
That's funny because in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, telepathy was a form of punishment.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Prophets have foretold our doom so many times already and we're still here...
Maybe people should stop using arbitrary numbers for the end of humanity.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
ify_ said:
Undead Dragon King said:
That's right, people. If these guys are correct, we're going to become a telepathic race.

[/facepalm]
That's funny because in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, telepathy was a form of punishment.
Ah herd dat.

Can you imagine telepathic telemarketers? I'd probably shoot myself if it came to that.

SirZanton

Apr 15, 2009
ZOMFG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!

not really, but i do think that the sun will enter a new solar cycle as the mayans based their calendar on the sun

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
Time is an illusion created by man. The grand scheme of the universe does not work on our time, because frankly our time is measured by our sun and orbit around it. You can't possibly predict the end of everything by a single year compared to the billions maybe trillions of years past. For people trying to think big on this, they surprisingly miss the larger picture.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
0110100110 said:
bodyklok said:
0110100110 said:
Hi I am an avatar theif
You bastard! You stole my avatar:(
Anyway that aside I don't think 2012 will be of any major importance. Regardless of what a book or calendar says, I do find the astrological side of things interesting. But neither disturbing or joyful.
:eek: How dare you make such powerful accusations.
Thank you.

YIDOSH

Apr 15, 2009
I'm gonna go with that Shadowrun game. 21/12/2012, we will all gain magical powers and other races such as Elves and Trolls will suddenly appear. I for one can't wait =D

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
0110100110 said:
But something else struck the scholars too : for some reason the Mayan calendar came to an abrupt end on December 21 2012. What did this mean?
It was their creation myth. The Third Creation ended at the end of the twelfth baktun, and the fourth creation began.

The point is that this had already happened, and was not expected to happen again. There are distance dates recorded in Mayan carvings (future dates in Mayan notation are recorded as the current date plus the amount of time to pass until the date indicated) which will not come about for another two thousand years or more, and they do not indicate a change in or reset of the calendar.

This, even the Gregorian calendar runs out eventually,
No, you just stick new numbers on the front, happily the set of real integers is infinite.

The Mayan calendar works the same way, except since it works in base 20 not base 10 (Mayans counted in base 20) you need less digits to record spectacularly large numbers (using only the significant digits the Mayans had individual names for, their version of hundred, thousand, etc. you could nearly express the full age of the solar system without running out of digits).

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The Mayans were brilliant at predicting their absorption by the Aztecs, as well as the general end of their culture. Why shouldn't we trust them when they say the world will end?

I mean they're obviously the ONLY culture that has predicted the end of the world...

It's not like there is currently a 100% inaccuracy rating on theories about "the end times"

It's not like the European conversion of the Mayan Calendar is completely off...

It's not like Astrology is complete bullshit anyway...

Right?

(/Sarcasm)

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Oh look, another thread about 2012.

OP? STFU

YIDOSH said:
I'm gonna go with that Shadowrun game. 21/12/2012, we will all gain magical powers and other races such as Elves and Trolls will suddenly appear. I for one can't wait =D
This is AWESOME.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
YukoValis said:
Time is an illusion created by man. The grand scheme of the universe does not work on our time, because frankly our time is measured by our sun and orbit around it.
Not even that. Our conception of time as the linear progression of events happening after each other, is woefully inaccurate.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
0110100110 said:
for some reason the Mayan calendar came to an abrupt end on December 21 2012. What did this mean?
THAT THEY HAD MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO. Or died. Or noticed they couldn't make infinite calenders to they figured covering a few hundred years would suffice at the time...

How fucking arbitrary can you get before you notice these things are complete bullshit? Did you honestly expect them to make calenders ad infinitum? THEY ARE DEAD. ALL OF THEM. They were all subdued in 1697, during a colossal war (which I think kinda pushed the priority of "calender making" down a bit)... They had calenders setup for 315 more years... What the unholy fuck do you think that means? I'm guessing, they were doing calenders, then one day "oh shit, there's a war... Should I fight it or die finishing those last days in a calender that'll only be any good in over 300 years???? I don't know!".

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Seriously, any person that actually belives this crap deserves to be shot dead *glares at insane christians*

Lord Kofun

Mar 18, 2009
I think people are taking it too literally. I would say that they had good enough reason to end their calender about 500 years after their entire culture was wiped from the face of the globe. Screw it, my calender goes about a week from now. I'd say they were technologically brialliant, but simply laid back, not predictors of the apocalypse. Really.. calm down, everyone.