2012, Mayan end date.

Azraellod

Dec 23, 2008
look, i really think people should get some of their facts straight before posting. i am no expert, but i know some of the basic facts of how this is predicted to happen

the mayans belived that there were 7 stages of the world. we are currently in stage 4 or 5 (cant remember which) and that this particular stage was due to die horribly in fire on (depending how you transate this into modern time) either the 21st or the 23rd of december, 2012.

according to some experts on this subject, the previous ages of humanity didnt work properly, so that is why the mayan gods burned them. (come to think of it, we arent working properly right now either)

to belivers in this prophecy, the end of the world dates of the past and future coincide with a comet flying through the solar system and showering debris on the earth. the mayan mathematical system was easily the best in the ancient world, so they would have been able to predict mathematically when the comet would next fly bye.

and oe again, i dont belive this will actually happen, but humanity is basically screwed up right now anyway, so in some ways i hope the prophecy is correct.

anNIALLator

Jul 24, 2008
The closest thing to any credibility for the Mayan thing is the solar flare/storm thing that is scheduled to shoot some energy from the sun that could induce currents in wires on earth, causing some fires. Hardly the end of the world.

Saverio

Feb 17, 2009
Why are you all talking about a society that lacked basic metallurgy skills is going to be advanced enough to predict the future of the world?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Saverio said:
Why are you all talking about a society that lacked basic metallurgy skills is going to be advanced enough to predict the future of the world?
They also didn't use the wheel for some weird reason.

Apr 14, 2009
Saverio said:

The accuracy of Mayan astronomy still astounds people today. The cycles of the moon were mapped so precisely that today, 1,500 years later, Maya calendar predictions and calculations are off by only 33 seconds. Even the moment of Maya creation some 5,000 years ago, is a fixed point in the sacred calendar.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
People have been talking about the end of time since the beginning of time. Chill out..

How bout this. If the world ends in 2012, I owe you all a coke.

Apr 14, 2009
zen5887 said:
People have been talking about the end of time since the beginning of time. Chill out..

How bout this. If the world ends in 2012, I owe you all a coke.
Im gunna hold you to that...

DarkLordofDevon

May 11, 2008
Maybe they just forgot to put the dates on afterwards. A bit like forgetting to buy a new calender at the beginning of the year. Everyone does it, stop picking on the poor Mayans!

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Yes the Mayans were brilliant minds for their time, there were many brilliant philosophers, astrologists, alchemists and scholars throught early history surley great minds but most of them were wrong. Flat out wrong.

Jolly Madness

Mar 21, 2008
"Hey, what're you doing?" - "'m making a calendar" - "ooh... fancy, how long can we use it?" - "Meh, "2012 is aaaaages away, someone'll probably've made a new one by then" - "Whatever"

But acopalypse could be cool too.

Saverio

Feb 17, 2009
Skeleon said:
Saverio said:
They also didn't use the wheel for some weird reason.
Indeed! They didn't even have carts!

0110100110 said:
Saverio said:

The accuracy of Mayan astronomy still astounds people today. The cycles of the moon were mapped so precisely that today, 1,500 years later, Maya calendar predictions and calculations are off by only 33 seconds. Even the moment of Maya creation some 5,000 years ago, is a fixed point in the sacred calendar.
Yeah, and the Greeks got the circumferance of the world. Doesn't mean much of anything in the real world. Certainly not that the world will end. More so it means that they probably had to devote more time to the European Invaders, or internal strife then astrology.

Martymer

Mar 17, 2009
0110100110 said:
When scholars first began to study the ancient Mayan culture, which flourished in Latin America during the first millennium, they were surprised to discover how highly developed Mayan knowledge of astronomy was. The Mayans were able to predict astronomical events such as eclipses with perfect accuracy far into the future. But something else struck the scholars too : for some reason the Mayan calendar came to an abrupt end on December 21 2012. What did this mean?
Exactly what you just said. That this is the date where their calendar ends. That's all.

The 2012 Mystery

Interpretations of the Mayan calendar and the significance of its end date vary significantly. Some insist it means nothing. The Mayans just picked that end date arbitrarily because their calendar had to end somewhere, they say. For others, though, the Mayan end date is a forecast of doom : life as we know it will end on that day. Either everyone will die, or something so tumultuously significant will happen, that our lives will never be the same again.
Based on what? To assume that something special will happen is to assume one of the following things:

1) One hell of a coincidence will occur, which is a pretty stupid thing to *assume*.

2) The Mayans -- an ancient civilization that at the time was *as least* a millennium behind us (today) in terms of science and technology -- were able to accurately predict something that we cannot. I have more faith in the dates Jehova's Witnesses keep making up at random; at least they have *access* to modern science and technology (even if they don't use them). So I guess this means I have "negative faith" in the Mayan thing, since my faith in JW is zero...

The esoteric scholar Terence McKenna added another layer to the Mayan mystery when he published the result of his researches into the I Ching, an ancient Chinese book of prophecy. McKenna claimed that careful analysis of the I Ching revealed a pattern which paralleled events in human history.
A prophecy is open to interpretation. Looking back with hindsight, they always seem to come true. The reason is simple. Prophecies are vague and general. Let's look at an example: "A comet will appear in the sky and an empire will fall. There shall be a day of darkness, and this day shall be the first day of the End Times." (I made this up, btw)

Interpretation: Holy shit! Haley's Comet came around, and the Soviet Union fell... There's been several eclipses since then... FUCK! We're already in the End Times!!! PANIC!!!!

But on the other hand... the probability that "between the appearance of a comet, and a total eclipse" (in other words, at absolutely any time) some large nation will fall, is damn-near 100%. Nations fall. Comets swing past the earth. Eclipses occur quite often. Whoever wrote that prophecy (eh... me, that is, but they're all pretty much like that) sure felt like placing an insanely safe bet. So the prophecy actually means absolutely shit.

Mysteriously, it came to an abrupt end on December 21 2012. Rather than seeing in it a prediction of doom, however, McKenna tended to view the change positively. He believed that, on that date, a new era of enlightenment would begin. What would actually happen he was usually vague about, but some of his ideas included the invention of a time machine, the emergence of the first truly sentient artificial intelligence, or a global first contact event with an alien species.
If this McKenna is a scientist then he knows better than to speculate with absolutely no foundation. Logical conclusion: He's not a scientist, just another guy with a couple of vague ideas of what might happen in the future. Time machine -- no, and no more sci-fi for you! Read for example "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking. First sentient AI -- plausible, but only because there is no single, clear, scientifically verifiable definition of "sentient" (so in other words, it's open to interpretation). First contact with aliens -- plausible, assuming he means we'll pick up some signal or something (if he means aliens landing on the White House lawn, he should seek help). But the probability that this (or the AI thing) would occur on that date is negligible. If he means it will happen "sometime after that date" (including an infinite time after that date, AKA never), then we're back to safe bet prophecies.

It's certainly fascinating that two separate ancient predictive systems, originating in completely distinct cultures, should both attach cosmic significance to the winter solstice event of 2012. Is it time to get scared?
Fascinating? Not really. If enough people (cultures) make up random dates when "something big" will happen, two are bound to hit the same mark just by chance. Now, if they arrived at it based on some form of verifiable, empirical foundation, that might be worth shitting a brick or two over. But as they left no way to verify anything, the only reasonable conclusion is that they didn't want people to know they had just pulled the dates out of their respective asses.

Why that date, though? The year is as probably the last year in some cycle in both calendars, so they both figured it was a good point to quit. Neither of them thought of it as "2012", as they didn't use the Christian calendar, so it has nothing to do with the number. Why winter solstice? Darkest day of the year. Perfect for an end or a new beginning. So perfect I find it highly unlikely that it would *not* be made up by humans...

2012 : Enlightenment or Doom?
So if we are all doomed, what could the source of this doom possibly be? Some claim that the precessional cycle of the winter solstice will be in a once-in-every 26,000 years alignment with the galactic plane in 2012. In astrology, this precessional movement corresponds to a change in the precessional age : from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius, long foreseen as a time of enlightenment and joy. Some see in the alignment not joy, but danger, however. They fear that a great astronomical catastrophe is about to occur.
There are several systems for astrology, all assigning different meaning to various phenomena. All of them are based on absolutely nothing. Astrology has been proven no better than guessing on multiple occasions, and has been laughed at by scientists for some 400 years now; ever since we learned that the earth isn't the center of the universe, and that it is, in fact, just another planet. This knowledge causes the central idea behind astrology to fall apart, as "the Heavens" aren't "intended" to be observed from any specific point. Astrology assumes that there is a special meaning in how space appears when viewed from the earth. That implies that the earth has a special "function" in the universe. It does not. It just happens to be the only place from where we've ever observed space.

What is your opinion? Do you think December 21 2012 is a day of destruction? world peace? world war? or do you think it is a load of rubbish.
Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.