2022 French Presidential Election

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Good thing Le Pen made it through, otherwise France might have had a contest about something other than who can be more racist.
Man, now they can go full masks of racists and not worry about it. I don't think Macron can keep up

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
He's an Islamophobe
Islam is a religion, not a people. So it’s not racism, but I’m not sure what the term for someone who’s bigoted against a religion is.

And it’s isn’t like France hasn’t got good reason to be very much sick of Radical Islam’s shit.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
And yet people get beaten up for looking Muslim. It's perhaps not always, but often, racism.
That most certainly is; no one has ever accused skinheads or the degenerate thugs who assault people based on their skin colour of being smart. And all that happened is divides got worse because slanging abuse was easier than talking properly.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Islam is a religion, not a people. So it’s not racism, but I’m not sure what the term for someone who’s bigoted against a religion is.

And it’s isn’t like France hasn’t got good reason to be very much sick of Radical Islam’s shit.
So, most of the time, Le Penn is not a racist

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Islam is a religion, not a people. So it’s not racism...
I hate that phrase. The problem is bigotry, not what people are bigotted about, and it's just people trying to dodge criticism of their bigotry on a semantic technicality.

Next, let's face it, Westerners would be significantly more relaxed about Islam if it were only practised by white people. That's not to say religion doesn't have the potential for discontent even amongst people of the same race or that radical Islam hasn't got issues, but we all know perfectly well that "Islam" is as often as not a convenient code to attack outsiders, especially if they are darker-skinned.

This is precisely the tactic of the further right. Back in the 60s they openly advocated racism and won votes. The more it has become socially unacceptable, they more they've shifted to such codes to keep up appeals to racism, but with plausible deniability. Le Pen is a racist: totally and unquestionably. So are Farage, Trump, and all their ilk. They also overwhelmingly tend to hate homosexuals, transpeople, often Jews, and anyone else outside their narrow conception of what their ideal homogenous society should be. That's why they love Putin so much, because he does what they would if they could get away with it.

I don't see why anyone should waste their time debating and vindicating their bullshit. Cut through it and just call them what they are: a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic cunts.

Reactions: Silvanus

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
Next, let's face it, Westerners would be significantly more relaxed about Islam if it were only practised by white people. That's not to say religion doesn't have the potential for discontent even amongst people of the same race or that radical Islam hasn't got issues, but we all know perfectly well that "Islam" is as often as not a convenient code to attack outsiders, especially if they are darker-skinned.
The same way Neo progressives are far more relaxed about Islamic conservatism than Christian conservatism exactly because it isn't practiced by white people?

EDIT: In a way it's sad the duel wasn't between Melenchon and Le Pen, it would have been great to see the clash of Left wing racist populism vs Right wing racist populism.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I hate that phrase. The problem is bigotry, not what people are bigotted about, and it's just people trying to dodge criticism of their bigotry on a semantic technicality.
Maybe I'm just lucky I grew up with a big melting pot of folks in primary school and high school. Or maybe its the fact that I'm geographically close to the most populous Muslim nation on the planet, but I've generally found the assumption of 'dark skin = muslim' to be wrong-headed and the province of fucking idiots.

Cut through it and just call them what they are: a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic cunts.
You'll get no argument from me that they trade in bigotry. And again as soon as I can find out what you call someone who hates a person based only on their religion - apart from arsehole that is - then we can add that to the existing list already provided.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Maybe I'm just lucky I grew up with a big melting pot of folks in primary school and high school. Or maybe its the fact that I'm geographically close to the most populous Muslim nation on the planet, but I've generally found the assumption of 'dark skin = muslim' to be wrong-headed and the province of fucking idiots.
As many Hindus, Sikhs etc are painfully aware of, that people aren't very discerning about which darker-skinned people are Muslims is a feature of most Western Islamophobic rhetoric, not a bug.

And again as soon as I can find out what you call someone who hates a person based only on their religion
"Religious bigot". Or "[religion root]-phobe" if their ire is directed at a specific religion.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The same way Neo progressives are far more relaxed about Islamic conservatism than Christian conservatism exactly because it isn't practiced by white people?

EDIT: In a way it's sad the duel wasn't between Melenchon and Le Pen, it would have been great to see the clash of Left wing racist populism vs Right wing racist populism.
Considering both of those would likely lead to the downfall of the EU and thus the continent it wouldn't be very great at all.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

Okay Le Pen, I understand you are excited at the chance of being president, but how is this going to help you win? I'm not complaining because I want you to lose but you think you could have read the room before revealing you're just a Russian puppet.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

Okay Le Pen, I understand you are excited at the chance of being president, but how is this going to help you win? I'm not complaining because I want you to lose but you think you could have read the room before revealing you're just a Russian puppet.
I mean considering the right's recent foray into the realm of "Taliban, really so bad?" is it surprising. Enough of her followers will believe it because it goes against "the libs". Those that didn't, do now.