Microsoft Wants to "Lead the Way" in PC Gaming

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Wants to "Lead the Way" in PC Gaming

Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] says it's putting "real investment and big IPs" into the Windows platform in order to provide leadership to the rest of the PC gaming industry.

Say "MCV [http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/index.aspx] that the company is aware of its failings and is prepared to do something about them.

"There's been a fair bit of criticism aimed at Microsoft that we were spending a lot of our focus on console, and we need to be putting resources behind PC as well," he said. "Other companies should look to Microsoft for leadership, but I'm not sure they do. It is our job to lead the way on PC. And in some ways we are doing that and in other ways we are not. So we need to step up."

"We are putting some real investment and big IPs behind the Windows platform. We've spoken of the first three, Microsoft Flight [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Pc/dp/B002I0KO8I/ref=sr_1_3?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285687818&sr=8-3]," he continued. "However we are not going to stop there."

If Luehmann's words ring familiar, it's likely because Microsoft already re-committed to the PC as a gaming platform in 2008 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101550-Microsoft-Pledges-to-Save-PC-Gaming-Again], then-Vice President John Schappert claimed that Microsoft's "continued investments" in the PC segment would provide consumers with "the kind of gaming experiences they will love."

But all the assurances and commitments in the world don't change the fact that Games for Windows Live remains the most universally-loathed online gaming platform in existence, or that major publishers have begun delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101221-Fallout-New-Vegas-Switches-to-Steam] port of an Xbox 360 RPG, an online RTS and a reboot of a hardcore flight sim. If that's the company's idea of an attention-grabbing headliner, while more mainstream (and successful) titles remain exclusive to the 360, then maybe just "stopping there" would be for the best after all.

Pinky09

Sep 20, 2010
Lol, a few days ago, a microsoft rep says pc gaming is basically dead. now they say they want to lead on pc gaming... what is going on...

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I'm going to call bullshit.

Like 90% of the people reading this will as well.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I was on another forum discussing Dawn of War 2 and it's steam/Gfwl clusterfuck. The new expansion is clearing this issue by...

You guessed it, bumping Gfwl. It simply does not provide anything that Steam can't and it does it badly anyway. The general consensus is distaste, bar a few XBL gamers who see it as an extension of their system (as opposed to a seperate entity) and judge it on the merits of XBL as a whole.

While I'm at it, Microsoft thinks they are to be seen as the leader in PC gaming? I'm sorry to burst your bubble Bill, but Valve has beaten you to that over the last 10 years.

I have no faith in Mircrosoft... I don't expect to see anything they promise.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Stop saying your going to do something and actually do it for crying out loud, no more procrastinating...

Actually I don't care, nothing you've promised is actually gonna do anything for the PC.

Online RTS, dont like MMOs, Don't like RTS... off to a bad start. Reboot of a long gone flight sim? That is an incredibly niche audience, a niche I am not in. Fable 3? not really my kind of game, but saying a Port is going to change PC gaming, or at least "save" it is freaking stupid.

It's not like we actually need Microsoft to support PC gaming with anything other then they already do(DX and OSs), Steam has kicked the shit out of their crappy GFWL and I honestly don't think that thing could be salvaged to a point where it would be usable, let alone the community would want to actually try it.

May 25, 2010
Maybe this will make Bioshock: Infinite a worthy purchase on PC. I did see that disgusting "Games for Windows - LIVE" at the end of the trailer after all.

I doubt it though...

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Like hell they are. Microsoft isn't even trying to take advantage of the changing PC games market. Sitting on one's behind, picking their nose and talking shit does not constitute backing a platform.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
You know, GFWL could be a good system. It isn't. If they stop talking about making it better and make it better...

Mornelithe said:
Amusingly enough, Microsoft is quite possibly in last place, as far as companies that Lead the Way, in PC Gaming. Eastern Europe seems to have the market cornered, from where I'm sitting (Stalker/Arma 2).
Neither Stalker or Arma 2 really sold that much. Successful, yes, but not dominant. I personally love the Stalker series, even that damned impossible and buggy second one.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Didn't they say this exact same thing like 10 times already and nothing happened afterward?

Jul 22, 2009
Go on Microsoft. I'd love it if you did.

Use that GFWL platform of yours to the fullest.

I'll make a deal with you. Release high quality PC games... and I'll buy them, hows that?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Get rid of GfWL.

THAT'S ALL WE FUCKING WANT FROM YOU!

(And a proper fucking DirectX update, instead of one that can be mimicked by editing configs in the previous iteration.)

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
Fuck off, I'd much rather see PC gaming dead than see what ever Microsoft would have planned for it.