21st Century Children and Respect

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Huh? They didn't find film scary so don't have respect o_O

Thing is, respect is something which is also taught, parents who're not this generation aren't teaching it to their children to respect people, toys, themselves.

I don't think we can throw all of the blame on the kids.

Plus, every generation has said kids have no respect. Just in different ways (as in, they didn't have the gadgets in the 70's like the do today which can show disrespect) there will always be people who frankly don't give a shit.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
overpuce said:
I've seen it when working in retail. 12 year old kid wants GTA. I warn the parents that the game is rated M and may not be suitable for his/her child. Parent takes time to read the back of the game. Parent says no. Kid pitches fit. Parent says yes.
I'd throw a hissy fit over that. Not because my parents said no, but because they said no as a result of seeing the rating. Ratings are hugely exaggerated. I was watching/playing M and MA movies/games when I was eleven years old. I wasn't any more succeptible to them then than I am now. I think the problem with kids today is that we coddle them and treat them like stupid retards who can't cope with anything or think for themselves. Then we act confused when they start acting up or rebelling. Or worse, when they actually wind up as mindless dumbasses.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ok that scared thing is just silly, please don't make connections like that.

But on the topic of respect, no kids are not being taught to disrespect things they learn it from others, and who might those others be?! Strange people on a lost island somewhere?
No those others are adults, they learned disrespect from adults.
Now let that one sink in next time you go banging on how disrespectful kids are, because that is what you taught them to be.

Treat people with respect only then can they learn how it works.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
There have been changes in the way children behave, but it's nothing to do with a specific generation, more to do with a steady progression down the last few generations. The current crop of children, including my stepson, are being taught that they can be anything they want to be... but equally that they need to KNOW what they want to be, at eleven.

Parents, increasingly confused as to what they can and cannot do to teach and discipline their children, are being forced to leave it to the schools.. and the schools have their hands tied and are trying to do more than they can reasonably do.

Still.. I don't think the fact they are not scared of video games can really be used as a factor in that.

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
"Doom 3 is not scarry" -> OP got trolled by two 12 year olds.
Also, fear is not synonymous with respect.
Silly trolls.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Well i consider that HAS A KID EVERYTHING IS SCARY. Heck i remember watching Alladin's sequel and watching Jafar's big scary eyes, scared me completely. Heck when i was a kid i acctually thinked The Ring 2 was a scary movie. And at the time i felt scared about it.

Now has an Adult i can play survival horrors or watch scary movies withouth feeling scared... cuz i know it's all fantasy, unreal, fake.

So yeah... sorry to burst your bubble in wich you think your bulletproof to every single horror movie/ game. It would be kinda ridiculous if those games left you scared.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I dunno about kids, but I still find shit scary and I'm 21. Last halloween, me and my housemates sat down to watch the original Halloween movie. We totally freaked the fuck out. We kept hearing noises from the house, we were afraid to leave the living room first. I think the kids aren't watching the stuff properly, and wanting to sound hard to their friends.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
...The fuck? I'm 18, so I've spent the better part of my upbringing in this oh-so-terrible century, and I'm not some barbarian. Every generation thinks the following one is full of savages, right back to Socrates' day. Nothing new, nothing to worry about.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Istvan said:
A good example of the logical fallacy of generalization.
Ninja'd by the first reply. Damn.

Jakub324 said:
...The fuck? I'm 18, so I've spent the better part of my upbringing in this oh-so-terrible century, and I'm not some barbarian. Every generation thinks the following one is full of savages, right back to Socrates' day. Nothing new, nothing to worry about.
Basically, this. The only game that really scared me was Amnesia: The Dark Descent (and it's expansion, Justine). Does that mean I don't respect anything? Because I react differently to some people in other situations?

I think the reason that, dare I say, my Generation, and the Generation below mine, raise less fingers and hide behind less sofas than older people at things like Alien is because we've seen it parodied, redone, parodied again by another parody, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters. We're used to these things, and aren't as intimidated by them as we know, more or less, what to expect.

I leave you, with this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594WLzzb3JI&feature=related].

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm 17; almost 18. I do consider that there is another Generation after mine right now.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Read Hesiod. Apparently we've all been the worst generation ever since ancient Greece. Now either everyone woke up one day after the Mycenaean period and turned into terrible people, or we've always been just as bad.

Ashadow700

Jun 28, 2010
I think you are generalizing way too much OP. You cannot judge all kids of an entire nation based only on the behaviour of the once you have meet.

Also, I just have to add that you made me facepalm when I read the line "...the problems with today's youth."

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
This argument has no support. Simply not being fearful of something does not make you disrespectful of it. I too am not scared of Dead Space, Friday the 13th, Doom 3, etc. Mostly because those entertainment mediums fail to suck me in.

Friday the 13th while good for its time has become overused. It is now easily predictable and therefore your never really surprised.

The video games I mentioned while environmentally twisted seems to lose its power when they use the same scare tactic that certain youtube videos use (make sure you turn up your speakers!). Shit just spawns in front of you surprising you.

I prefer a horror movie where I am weak, helpless, and constantly running and hiding. Give me something where the only time I see the enemy is when there is a very good chance I'm about to die.

I do agree that we take things for granted, but its not really a bad thing. For decades people have said kids have taken things for granted.

When I was your age I was running from tanks!
When I was your age all I wanted to entertain myself I went outside.
When I was your age we had to go to a library to find things.

Frankly we should be proud of this. That we have continuously given the next generation something that would make their lives better than when we were their age. You can't expect them to know what you had to deal with when you were a kid, they can't comprehend it because for the most part it no longer exists. Also remember they have their own problems, problems that you didn't have when you were a kid.

vaderaider

Nov 2, 2009
I don't understand this thread,
I mean...I don't find 'The Thing' scary but respect it for having amazing special affects.
The same for 'Alien' I respect the build up of atmosphere and the design of everything.
I'm not entirely sure this is even what you mean...

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
I know that when people who were insecure as kids face kids now who have confidence or traits we wished we had, we really really hate them. I remember squaring off with a right little shit for about 40 minutes, because he was saying he's had sex with 5 girls, and "how many have you? I bet none!" It was like being trolled in real life. The worst part was it was true, I was a virgin! He wanted to "take it outside", and I would've obliged except I was supposed to be on a date...yeah that girl never talked to me again. But if she has those kind of mini-satans hanging around, I don't mind too much. So yeah, respect lacking, but every generation has bad eggs. I think you have to attack them...with wood.