Minecraft 1.6 Breaks the Game, Mojang Fixes It

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Minecraft 1.6 Breaks the Game, Mojang Fixes It

The latest patch for indie sensation Minecraft is out, and so is the patch fixing everything that the patch broke.

Patching a game as intricate and complex as Minecraft isn't easy. Still, creator Notch and his team at Mojang do their best with regular updates to the game, and patch 1.6 hit servers yesterday, adding maps - among other things [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3293-Minecraft-1-6-Update] - to the addictive build-a-thon.

Unfortunately, Patch 1.6 brought with it a host of nasty bugs and potentially-crippling performance issues. So, Mojang released not one, not two, but four bug fixes [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/5864594578/minecraft-beta-1-6-3] in an attempt to set right what had been set wrong, by themselves, not a day before. And then, setting right the things that they'd said they'd set right, but that actually hadn't been set right at all.

The full Beta 1.6 patch notes can be found here [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/5861083562/minecraft-beta-1-6], if you're curious. The best part, though, is the notes for Beta 1.6.1 through 1.6.4. Somebody was feeling a little irritated at this point:

[blockquote]Update 1.6.1
-Fixed a visual item duplication bug when trying to pick up items while the inventory is full

Update 1.6.2
-Fixed an ACTUAL item duplication bug while picking up some items

Update 1.6.3
-The renderer is now capped at 100 fps while there are chunks to be generated. The excess time will be spent generating chunks instead of rendering frames
-The "limit framerate" option now limits the game to 40 fps and will spend at least 10 ms per frame sleeping
-The "limit framerate" option has been reset to "off" for all players, enable it again if you want it
-Fixed some block updates not updating lighting properly under some circumstances by reverting the "don't always send block data" fix in 1.6
-Fixed a major CPU load issue in the server where a very tight loop would starve all other threads
-Fixed furnaces dropping/duplicating their contents when they change state from lit to unlit or back

Update 1.6.4
-Fixed 1.6.3 using more CPU despite it claiming to use less
-Totally professional[/blockquote]

I bet Obsidian and Bethesda wish they could fix their own patch screwups [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109645-Report-New-Vegas-Patch-Just-Makes-Things-Worse] this quickly.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/27/minecraft-beta-1-6-released-four-bug-fixing-patches-follow-soon/])

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Indie game patches: prone to breaking things, but they're bloody quick with fixing stuff. (See also Arcen Games, who in full flight can get full patches [not hotfixes] out daily).

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Copying Bethesda now are we?
(Which is apparently at the bottom, i thought Bethesda were the ones behind the patch...or are they behind the hotfix?)

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Funny thing is, this STILL didn't fix the major issues. Notch announced on twitter just moments ago he was heading in to the office in the morning to fix the gamebreakers. (Lag on SMP, destroying tools and light issues).
Amazing that people still call him lazy

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
[blockquote]Update 1.6.4
-Totally professional[/blockquote]

I found this mostly hilarious.

Anyhow, haven't had so much fun running around telling our admin to keep updating the server software every couple of hours.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Varya said:
Funny thing is, this STILL didn't fix the major issues. Notch announced on twitter just moments ago he was heading in to the office in the morning to fix the gamebreakers. (Lag on SMP, destroying tools and light issues).
Was experiancing those problems myself :(
but at least i trust them to get fixed rather quickly, unlike some other devs
*glares at new vegas disk*

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
EllEzDee said:
Copying Bethesda now are we?
(Which is apparently at the bottom, i thought Bethesda were the ones behind the patch...or are they behind the hotfix?)
No, Notch actually fixes stuff.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Varya said:
That's just it, though, first impressions last a lifetime, no matter what you do to set it right.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Varya said:
People cannot be pleased, if I was Notch, I'd be in full-on trolling mode by now.

Anyways, I'm still having chunk-loading issues. Crossing my fingers that it'll be fixed when I get home tonight.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Phlakes said:
This is why Mojang deserves the MM win.
For doing what a dev should do in the first place?

Damn, I am crying inside. You don't need to be exceptional to win anymore, you just have to reach the bar.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Anyways, I'm still having chunk-loading issues. Crossing my fingers that it'll be fixed when I get home tonight.
Don't think so. Here in Sweden it's 9.30 PM, so he's out for the day. Seems he'll go work the weekend for this one though.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
dogstile said:
Phlakes said:

Damn, I am crying inside. You don't need to be exceptional to win anymore, you just have to reach the bar.
This is a game, in BETA, that's all the difference really. He works weekends so that his Beta-testers won't have to play a buggy game

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Varya said:
lacktheknack said:
Don't think so. Here in Sweden it's 9.30 PM, so he's out for the day. Seems he'll go work the weekend for this one though.
Grah. Oh well, maybe tomorrow morning.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
dogstile said:
Phlakes said:

Because most developers take a really long time to get a patch out. I only heard about the problems with 1.6 yesterday, and it's already fixed. Basically no other dev except Valve actually cares enough to do that.

And you may be a bit right about the reaching the bar thing, but right now the bar is pretty low.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Ahhh, the item duplication patch is fixed, there goes my evil diamond cloning scheme.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Thats funny lol, didnt even remember to patch and when I do log on, ~I see "Super Pro" on the 1.6.4 notes lol. Mojang are so fun <3