New 2D Sonic Coming in 2010

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
New 2D Sonic Coming in 2010

Sega has revealed a new 2D Sonic game with HD graphics codenamed Project Needlemouse that's meant to be the first step in bringing Sonic "back to his 2D roots."

It might not be the Dreamcast 2 news we were all hoping for, but Sega's announcement today of Project Needlemouse, a new Sonic game, is not completely insignificant. Due in 2010, Project Needlemouse is a brand-new 2D Sonic game with HD graphics that sounds at least like Sega is finally giving all the Sonic fans what they want and making an old-school-inspired Sonic game.

"Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay," Sega's Kevin Ballough told GameSpot [http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/projectneedlemouse/news.html?sid=6216990&mode=previews]. "Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots."

Old-school is definitely the vibe the Project Needlemouse teaser trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGkCKDcf3xo] is going for. It opens with the classic "SE-GA" start-up jingle and then a blue blur speeding across the screen from left to right, collecting rings. "Speed returns in an all-new 2D adventure built from the ground up," the trailer declares. Next there's a glimpse of a silhouette of a logo that looks like the old Sonic emblem.

I have to wonder, though, that doesn't look exactly like the shape of Sonic's head in the logo. Maybe it's just me being blind, or maybe Project Needlemouse has a new character? One that no old-school Sonic fans will even come close to liking? Wouldn't be the first time it happens.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
This might actually be good. Might buy it to see if it is.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I've never played Sonic games but I've heard a lot about them. It sounds like they're adding another character. And why didn't Sonic work in 3d? Seems like it would be easier since you see what's in front of you.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Huzah just what we have all wanted from the sonic team, ABOUT TIME thats all I have to say

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
zauxz said:
*cough* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.140076
*coughs* Idiot
Every time, someone like you comes and points out that the news has been posted..by a user. However, as is shortly noted to THAt person (you in this case) that 'use search bar' does not apply to official news articles by Escapist Staff and not everyone finds those user topics.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
God. It took them long enough to figure it out, didn't they?

How long have they been doing 3D and not realising they were churning out shit except for Sonic Adventures?

dstryfe

Mar 27, 2009
This actually looks like a return to form. I'm hoping that the reason it "doesn't look like Sonic's head" is cause he's in a different pose/the spikes aren't quite as gravity-defying as they once were. Really, I am.

...and yes, I know that holding out hope based on Sonic's track record is a terrible idea, but I'm willing to give it one more chance...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Macksheath said:
No point anyway. It'll turn out shite, just like every Sonic game since the 3rd has.
Yup - Sonic team have screwed him up too much to get it right again for many centuries.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
scotth266 said:
[HEADING=1]OH
MAH
GAWD.[/HEADING]

Took Sega long enough, but finally they seem to have figured out that they needed to actually REVIVE the franchise, rather than slapping Sonic's face onto other half-hearted games.

With this and a GOOD Batman game out, does this mean that we will soon have a good 3D Sonic game too? Or that at least, Team Sonic is undergoing some quality control?

Anyway, let's hope that Team Sonic has been cleansed of bad developers, or that SEGA isn't actually giving this one to them.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I think I know how all Sonic fans feel right about now...

[HEADING=1]FINALLY!!![/HEADING]​

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
If they took just the day stages of the 360/PS3 versions of Unleashed, and worked around that, we'd have a good 3D Sonic game. No werehog, no "collect these items to gain access to the next level". Just fast-paced, 3D platforming.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Keane Ng said:
I have to wonder, though, that doesn't look exactly like the shape of Sonic's head in the logo. Maybe it's just me being blind, or maybe Project Needlemouse has a new character? One that no old-school Sonic fans will even come close to liking? Wouldn't be the first time it happens.

I assure you, it's him.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
zauxz said:
*cough* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.140076
Aw, don't do that please they don't like that. Like the mods said, their stories go through proper channels, which is why they don't pop up straight away, and a lot of people come to The Escapist and don't touch the forums at all.

And this will be interesting, hopefully it will be on PC because I don't have the other two consoles and don't plan to buy any more yet, just a Wii and PC.