New 2D Sonic Coming in 2010

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Sonic died for me with Sonic & Knuckles which was the last good sonic game because it was in a 2D format. When Sonic ventured into 3D his brain exploded which resulted in many bad games. But the thought that the blue rat thing will be returning the game style that made him good is making me a little excited but not to much so

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
What I learned from being a Sonic and Earthbound fan is that I shouldn't expect good news (Due to mother 3 not being released)and I shouldn't expect any good games being a sonic fan ( Sonic 06, Unleashed, so many more).
And the fans have been said go back to 2d, what changed there mind to listen to fans ? This isn't good it's just retarded

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
*headdesk* Sonic Team, I think you are mistaking nostalgia for a path forward. Whatever, the last good Sonic game I played was the Genesis ones anyway...

Here are my thoughts on the matter, with only one or two mild changes:
Notably, I believe that Shadow is a VERY salvageable character if you remember what he originally was and get rid of all those guns and stupidity. Cream the Rabbit, though? Yeah, she can go to hell.

NOTE: This is the second in a two-part series that the Game Overthinker (AKA Moviebob) did on Sonic. Watch the first one too for his exploration on why it went to shit...I think, I aven't watched it in a while...gonna go do that now, in fact...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
I think I know how all Sonic fans feel right about now...

[HEADING=1]FINALLY!!![/HEADING]​
That's because we're still in Stage 1 of The Cycle.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
zauxz said:
Kiutu said:
zauxz said:
*cough* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.140076
*coughs* Idiot
Every time, someone like you comes and points out that the news has been posted..by a user. However, as is shortly noted to THAt person (you in this case) that 'use search bar' does not apply to official news articles by Escapist Staff and not everyone finds those user topics.
Yeah yeah yeah.

First of all its the first time that i did this, and i did it just because he's a mod and i wanted to nag him a bit.

Second of all f*** you (can you figure that out? the "*" symbols are hidden letters!) it was just a joke. Do you think it really bothers me? Well it shouldnt bother you.
Fuck you more. No need to get like that. I just did it cause well...its douchy to do what you did. Wanting to annoy the moderators is not really a good reason.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
So he's NOT dead yet?

This might as well be the top Sonic game to be made so far other than the original's.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
That blue rat drowned a looong time ago... stop dressing up a carcass it doesn't change the fact it's dead.

1 franchise down a couple dozen left. Soon we will be forced to have new IP's :D

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Yay! It's about time we see something from Sonic that won't be a TOTAL waste. Last decent game from Sonic was (in my opinion) Shadow the Hedgehog (and that just barely passed the bar for me).

But it is completely 2D or are they doing the 2.5D thing? It'd be a weird step backwards to go completely 2D.

Sep 4, 2009
I will not be buying a new Sonic game. Even if it measures up the the originals. Even if it exceeds them.

I enjoyed 1, 2, 3 and S&K. I don't replay them though. If I was going to play an "old school platformer", I'd probably play an old one I've never gotten around to, made years ago. I've never played a Super Mario game that wasn't on the Gameboy, so there are many.

This is just another sequel. Even done well, it will be just another sequel.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
That does sound pretty cool, but Sega hasn't made a good Sonic game since the Saturn era so I bet it will suck.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
HardRockSamurai said:
I think I know how all Sonic fans feel right about now...

[HEADING=1]FINALLY!!![/HEADING]​
That's because we're still in Stage 1 of The Cycle.

Now that's what I was talking about! Great reference my friend.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Finally indeed!

Given that they are giving this (what I assume is) the working title of Project Needlemouse (the name originally given to Sonic, if you recall), might we also see the return of Dr Robotnik? Here's hoping. Also, as BobisOnlyBob pointed out in visual form, that is definitely Sonic in silhouette there. The top part of his head may be obscured by the ring, but it's definitely him.

Of course, if the lights go up and it's somebody completely different, we'll just have to eat our hats won't we? :p

Darth Pope

Jun 30, 2009
oppp7 said:
I've never played Sonic games but I've heard a lot about them. It sounds like they're adding another character. And why didn't Sonic work in 3d? Seems like it would be easier since you see what's in front of you.

To those uninitiated to Sonic for the past six years, behold the source of our nightmares.

Fans, I'm sorry I had do dig up bad memories...

In all seriousness though, 3D Sonic wasn't bad to start. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were shining examples of just what a platformer ought to be. But starting with Sonic Heroes Sonic Team has gotten sloppy with its programing and VERY sloppy with it's story telling. (I still have nightmares about Shadow the Hedgehog.)