New 2D Sonic Coming in 2010

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
This is the first Sonic game I've been interested in since I was, like, 12...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I don't think this game will be that great. Sonic returning to 2D does not automatically guarantee a good game. It could still have the problems that plagued the other modern Sonic games (incredibly dumb plot, annoying new characters, annoying old characters, bad level design etc.) so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Besides, this could just be an attempt to cash in on nostalgia. Make another crappy Sonic game that more people buy with the hopes that it's like the old games.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
I just hope that they don't fuck it up this time. Maybe Sega actually went to the Internet, read the fans comments, and did what they have been asking for YEARS.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
blimey, Team Sonic actually listening to its customers? I am... suspicious... but optimistically so... I hope that Sonic FINALLY makes a return... or they re-start development on Sonic Extreme :p

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
2D games is what Sega did well. I think that they really do need to get back to basics since it's been all downhill since Sonic 3D Blast.

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
Kiutu said:
zauxz said:
*cough* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.140076
*coughs* Idiot
Every time, someone like you comes and points out that the news has been posted..by a user. However, as is shortly noted to THAt person (you in this case) that 'use search bar' does not apply to official news articles by Escapist Staff and not everyone finds those user topics.
Yeah yeah yeah.

First of all its the first time that i did this, and i did it just because he's a mod and i wanted to nag him a bit.

Second of all f*** you (can you figure that out? the "*" symbols are hidden letters!) it was just a joke. Do you think it really bothers me? Well it shouldnt bother you.

iamnotincompliance

Apr 23, 2008
I will feign cautious optimism about this. I, for one, have never been happy with three-dimensional Sonic, starting as far back as 3D Blast. Then I heard the voice acting on the Dreamcast and tried playing it... for me, the series was over. I've been stuck in my happy little cocoon ending with Sonic and Knuckles for 15 years, impressive given I'm only 23. Could this be the one that pulls me back into the fray? Could this also lead to my first console purchase since the 16 bit era? One thing's for sure: I am following this story.

If nothing else, at least they got the logo right.

AnAnemicTurtle

Aug 17, 2009
*Crosses finger* Please don't screw this up. I seems Sonic Team finally cracked from all the fan-pressure to make a new 2-D Sonic game. Right they are too :p
Oh and by the way Needlemouse was Sonic's original name.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
scotth266 said:
scotth266 said:
[HEADING=1]OH
MAH
GAWD.[/HEADING]

Took Sega long enough, but finally they seem to have figured out that they needed to actually REVIVE the franchise, rather than slapping Sonic's face onto other half-hearted games.

With this and a GOOD Batman game out, does this mean that we will soon have a good 3D Sonic game too? Or that at least, Team Sonic is undergoing some quality control?

Anyway, let's hope that Team Sonic has been cleansed of bad developers, or that SEGA isn't actually giving this one to them.
Amen, Scott, amen. It looks like there is actually a shred of intelligence amongst Sonic Team.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Oh god I pray to the Gods of Gaming themselves that they do this right...Sonic, Tails,and Knuckles ONLY please. We don't need anymore characters. Also call Robotnik by that name, not "Eggman"

Edit: Also Sonic Adventure was the best 3D sonic game in my opinion. Followed by Sonic 3D on the Mega Drive.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Sounds promising, lets just hope its like the original Mega Drive games. Fast, frenetic and fun

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I'll just pray that Sega won't come and say "Oh, we also added X (X meaning new complete stupid feature). We're certain it will bring new life to the Sonic franchise".

They did that....with every 3D Sonic. (Sonic Heroes and after).

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Pointless. 2-D or not, Sonic games don't really have a place any more, people are far less tolerant of trial and error gameplay than they used to be. Sonic died a long time ago.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
heh heh. Needlemouse.

That's quite clever, SEGA. I'm so amazed by their wit.

At this point, I can't really tell whether I'm being sarcastic.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Rusty Bucket said:
Pointless. 2-D or not, Sonic games don't really have a place any more, people are far less tolerant of trial and error gameplay than they used to be. Sonic died a long time ago.
I would say the success of games like 'Splosion Man would prove that there's still a market for this type of game.

That being said, if this going to work they will have to make some major ajustments, but ofcoarse thats to be expected. Sonic doesn't hold up that well today, so yer, there will have to be some updates for the modern day.

It's nice to see that Sega are finally doing what people have been asking them to do for over a decade.

I do wonder though...You can't see Sonics face. Do you think this may be a different character? I mean Sonic is such an annoying character now-a-days and he's associated with such shitty games that I think they may just invent a new character. Maybe Needle Mouse actually is a Mouse?

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
WELL, this was a surprise, I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Plus, if this contains any characters other than Sonic, Tails and possibly Knuckles, then I'm not buying it no matter how many good reviews by Sonic fanboys there are.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
great news I like the 2d sonic games

but i also like some of the 3d sonic games. Sonic has not progresed forward going back into the past will just keep him stuck there.

Look at Link and Mario they 3d games and 2d games and they both sucessful
*sharpens his pitchfork* The sole point there is that Zelda and Mario are made by Nintendo, and not Sonic Team. As far as I'm concerned there are no 3D sonic games, and I'm going to pretend that they decided to pick up sonic after all these years after leaving him at Sonic 3.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I'm 100% with Yahtzee on this one. Put both barrels to his head and wipe up the splatter afterwards. NO MORE SONIC, PLEASE.