600 Points, No Deaths, One Rescued Princess

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
If that's the lowest score someone can get without cheating let's see what the lowest score is with cheating.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
jerrrry said:
ultimasupersaiyan said:
If it was done with hacks or an auto computer player then I will admit to this guy being the best Super Mario Bros player in the world... if it was legit. I can't help but feel it isn't legit.
I think it looks pretty legit. Almost everything he does is stuff I've done in person at some point (maybe not all strung together in one super-impressive run like that though). Never though to try to get as few points as possible though...I don't think I'd have the patience to wait for all the timers to wind down and some of those jumps require crazy precision(mostly that goomba).

The one thing I don't understand though is how he got up to where the vine takes you via that pipe in 4-2. Can anyone explain what happened there?
It's a legit exploit of game mechanics, basically. The game is programmed to take Mario to a certain scene when leaving the screen - it doesn't distinguish between whether it's by vine or by pipe. Normally the pipe he goes in leads to a bonus room - what he did was carefully scroll the screen just so, to reach a very small point where the game hasn't yet loaded the bonus-room code and so sends him to the previously-loaded bonus stage, which is the up-the-vine warp zone.

Essentially, it's the same exploit of mechanics used to reach the Minus World.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
coldfrog said:
jerrrry said:
ultimasupersaiyan said:
If it was done with hacks or an auto computer player then I will admit to this guy being the best Super Mario Bros player in the world... if it was legit. I can't help but feel it isn't legit.
I think it looks pretty legit. Almost everything he does is stuff I've done in person at some point (maybe not all strung together in one super-impressive run like that though). Never though to try to get as few points as possible though...I don't think I'd have the patience to wait for all the timers to wind down and some of those jumps require crazy precision(mostly that goomba).

The one thing I don't understand though is how he got up to where the vine takes you via that pipe in 4-2. Can anyone explain what happened there?
Yes! This is exactly what I was wondering.

Additionally, he was clearly not against using glitches, so why didn't he do the wall jump where he stomped that goomba to end with 500 points? or am I wrong about that? I just play Mario the regular way, so I could be misinformed. Is that a glitch that can ONLY be used with tool assisted stuff?
Wall jumping wasn't in Super Mario Bros, that was only introduced later in the series.

OT: Impressive, SMB is one of my favourite games and I wish I was as good as this guy is :-D

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
RidetheLightning said:
A prime exampe of people with wayy too much free time
Egh, posts like yours really upset me, if you think they have so much free time why don't you ask them? eyhe might be just a loyal fan doing this over the weekend, how prude and condescending >_>

kogane

Apr 11, 2009
SomebodyNowhere said:
My favorite part was probably the goomba he killed to just barely make the jump while avoiding the coins.
That part actually made me gasp!

This was truly fascinating to watch.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
captainjackofms said:
He's clearly hitting the piranha plants
Not to mention that in the original SMB you cannot jump in rapid succession as he does. I just fired the game up to check because I needed confirmation.

Computer assisted, probably. Still impressive? Definitely

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jonci said:
Yeah, since when did that pipe in 4-2 take you to the vine warp zone?
It doesn't, he cheated. That part bugged me too so I quickly loaded up SMB on my Wii Virtual Console to see for myself and sure enough that pipe goes to a hidden stash of coins not the warp zone.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
They should build a monument to videos like this. An entire parthenon filled with video clips of people trying to speed run Super Mario Bros. or beat the first Final Fantasy with increasingly more elaborate handicaps like "All Blackbelts", "All Thieves", and "One White Mage". Then, at the bottom of the hill leading to those grand marble steps, we'll erect a giant sign with words written in every language proudly proclaiming "This is why we haven't invented the flying car or cured cancer yet."

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
It looks legit to me. You've always been able to run over the 1-unit gaps and the piranha plant hitboxes have always been messed up like that.

Crazy, but if he was already good enough at SMB to do something like this, it probably really didn't take all that long.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Wow, and I thought I was impressed by people who beat IWBTG.

GasMasksAreForChumps said:
He seemed to walk over some gaps....or is it just game design? Anyways, I was laughing my butt off at the hammer bros, when they can't hit him when he's right in front of them.
You can sprint over 1 missing square in every Mario game I have ever played.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
TASvideos did it better with only 500 points. [http://tasvideos.org/2908S.html]

Unfortunately the above link was never officially published due to it's goal choice, most of TASvideos' users didn't want a 15 minute video that's 10 minutes waiting for a timer to run down.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Flour said:
TASvideos did it better with only 500 points. [http://tasvideos.org/2908S.html]

Unfortunately the above link was never officially published due to it's goal choice, most of TASvideos' users didn't want a 15 minute video that's 10 minutes waiting for a timer to run down.
And most (read: all) TAS runs are tool-assisted, by definition.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
SomebodyNowhere said:
My favorite part was probably the goomba he killed to just barely make the jump while avoiding the coins.
Yeah he killed somebody instead of stealing, pretty dysfunctional moral compass.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
jerrrry said:
Yes, at 2:32 he goes down a pipe and ends up at a warp zone, I am convinced that is incorrect, surely the warp zone is located in the bricks above, I never knew that pipe also led to it, I shall have to investigate.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
coldfrog said:
jerrrry said:
ultimasupersaiyan said:

Additionally, he was clearly not against using glitches, so why didn't he do the wall jump where he stomped that goomba to end with 500 points? or am I wrong about that? I just play Mario the regular way, so I could be misinformed. Is that a glitch that can ONLY be used with tool assisted stuff?
Wall jumping wasn't in Super Mario Bros, that was only introduced later in the series.

OT: Impressive, SMB is one of my favourite games and I wish I was as good as this guy is :-D
This is what I was referring to, not the wall jumps that exist in the more recent games:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Bros./Glitches#Wall_Jump

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
coldfrog said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
coldfrog said:
jerrrry said:
ultimasupersaiyan said:

This is what I was referring to, not the wall jumps that exist in the more recent games:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Bros./Glitches#Wall_Jump
Fair enough, no idea then, maybe he didn't use it as it's a glitch, though I think he might have used another else where...