600 Points, No Deaths, One Rescued Princess

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
mysecondlife said:
canadamus_prime said:
Jonci said:
Yeah, since when did that pipe in 4-2 take you to the vine warp zone?
It doesn't, he cheated. That part bugged me too so I quickly loaded up SMB on my Wii Virtual Console to see for myself and sure enough that pipe goes to a hidden stash of coins not the warp zone.
in the youtube video description, it says...

"In 4-2, I backwards jump into a few obstacles to scroll the screen without Mario to trick the pipe into taking me to the vine's usual location."

they obviously fixed the glitch for your wii virtual console
No they didn't, I didn't know about the backwards jumping thing.

Deathfyre

Mar 6, 2010
Sougo said:
SoopaSte123 said:
rated said:
gonna have to call bs on this one after 4 watches and actually experimentation on my part he did indeed hit the piranha plants twice in world 4-1
That's the only part that looks fishy. You tested it? Full speed jump over the plants doesn't work like that?
I agree, the jump goes higher than you can actually do in the game. Theres no way to jump over those piranha plants unless you use some kind of hack.

But it still is an amazing play.

Now he will emerge from his basement and find that the world around him has changed.
Actually you can jump over them, you just have to o it right as they're loading, because their hitboxes are screwy. that's why he doesn't just jump over all of them, some get enough time to load the full hitbox, and he has to stop and wait for them to go down

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
That video was incredible! Watched the entire thing and I've never really been a "crazy-mario-no-lifers" afficiando

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
coldfrog said:
Additionally, he was clearly not against using glitches, so why didn't he do the wall jump where he stomped that goomba to end with 500 points? or am I wrong about that? I just play Mario the regular way, so I could be misinformed. Is that a glitch that can ONLY be used with tool assisted stuff?
It's possible to wall jump, but it's ridiculously hard.
You need a tool to pull it off consistently.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Loving the number of people calling bs based on that pipe, even though someone explained it perfectly on the first page, and the guy even explained it in the video description.

OT: That was nuts. I've seen mario speedruns and other crazy shiz before but nothing quite like this.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I play CoD too much. I saw the Hammer Bros. and the first thing I thought was "How is he going to beat these bunny-hopping retards?".
I need to play something else :/

To be honest, that was the single most amazing Mario video I have ever seen. I'm massively jealous because I suck at Mario games.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
The hammer dance was amazing, though it makes you realise that it's probably easier to avoid than it looks - it's just the spinning animation and constant twitchiness of the Hammer Bros. that makes you panic.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Clearly he accidentally mistook Mario for a Ninja because he sneaked in and got the princess without making any major footprint on the world.

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
The government (or the Jedi Council) needs to test this cat for foresight abilities. Such an excellent show of skill, and I love the idea of turning losing into winning. A great example of a videogame's ability to entertain in ways unintended by the developers.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I'm quite impressed with what that guy did. I bet he had to run through world 8 levels at least more than once. But we do have the magic of video editing. Now I'd be really impressed to the point where nothing else in the video game world short of virtual reality machines affordable for the masses to see this done through one run, no lives lost, no saving, 600 points. If you fail you do it all over again until it's perfect.

@Earnest Cavalli: Nice choice of metaphor and incorporating The Critic into it. I loved that show, had charm.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
Turns out this guy beat him to it, by 2 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4XQPBqpAg&feature=related

The skill required in either case is crazy though o_O

EDIT: nevermind, just realised that the guy I linked used savestates so it, in fact, was not legit

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm just impressed by being able to complete the game pretty much holding the stick right most of the time, I can't even play the basic game at that speed, never mind while avoiding all the points!

I wonder how much it took to break the training, to stop collecting coins etc.

Norris IV

Aug 25, 2010
Mario has now become a skilled infiltrator
OT: That is quite an impressive feat, must more so than say 10th prestegeing on MW2 or 100% painkiller on expert on rock band 2 (although that is still an amazing accomplishment :)
Also to debunk any rumor of cheating it is possible to jump over those paranah head if done quickly as hit boxes have not loaded properly, I tried it when I saw this and after 10 mins of failure I finally pulled it off