600 Points, No Deaths, One Rescued Princess

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
RidetheLightning said:
A prime exampe of people with wayy too much free time
I want you to push your chair back, look at the computer, think about all the things you could be doing to advance the life you have, or the life of someone else, and realize just how ironic that statement is.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I stand in awe. Even if he did cheat (something about a warp pipe not going to a warp zone earlier in the thread), this video is amazing. So many places I would have rushed or lost control and died. Amazing.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
jerrrry said:
The one thing I don't understand though is how he got up to where the vine takes you via that pipe in 4-2. Can anyone explain what happened there?
Sorry to quote you again, but I just dusted off my old gameboy colour and gave it a whizz through, I have the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe edition, but I'm guessing it's the same as his version.

He does indeed appear to cheat at 2:32 in the video. The Warp zone is located in the three blocks seen at 2:21, he however passes these, and goes down a pipe that leads to an ordinary coin zone, but in his game, it leads to the warp zone.

Also of note was a disappearing plant at exactly 7:00, it doesn't go back down into to pipe, it just disappears, and I may be wrong, but I think the pipe he travels down in the flying fish bit is the wrong pipe (7:26) I think he actually should go across the lava pit and into the next pipe.

I dunno, unless he has some strange version he must have done some mods.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
captainjackofms said:
He's clearly hitting the piranha plants
I'm more wondering about him running across gaps myself. Now, it's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure if you try to do that you just fall...

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
jerrrry said:
The one thing I don't understand though is how he got up to where the vine takes you via that pipe in 4-2. Can anyone explain what happened there?
Sorry to quote you again, but I just dusted off my old gameboy colour and gave it a whizz through, I have the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe edition, but I'm guessing it's the same as his version.

He does indeed appear to cheat at 2:32 in the video. The Warp zone is located in the three blocks seen at 2:21, he however passes these, and goes down a pipe that leads to an ordinary coin zone, but in his game, it leads to the warp zone.

Also of note was a disappearing plant at exactly 7:00, it doesn't go back down into to pipe, it just disappears, and I may be wrong, but I think the pipe he travels down in the flying fish bit is the wrong pipe (7:26) I think he actually should go across the lava pit and into the next pipe.

I dunno, unless he has some strange version he must have done some mods.
From Youtube Video description:

I pull off a couple interesting tricks and glitches to make this work. In 4-2, I backwards jump into a few obstacles to scroll the screen without Mario to trick the pipe into taking me to the vine's usual location. In 8-1, I have to perform a pretty precise jump off a goomba to avoid some coins. Also, getting under the first set of 2 coins towards the end of this level takes a very careful jump, and always makes me nervous. In 8-4, I scroll the screen to just the right position to allow me to use some blocks as platforms. No wall jumps are required in this run at all. :)
It's still pretty impressive even though glitches and exploits were used.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
SoopaSte123 said:
rated said:
gonna have to call bs on this one after 4 watches and actually experimentation on my part he did indeed hit the piranha plants twice in world 4-1
That's the only part that looks fishy. You tested it? Full speed jump over the plants doesn't work like that?
I agree, the jump goes higher than you can actually do in the game. Theres no way to jump over those piranha plants unless you use some kind of hack.

But it still is an amazing play.

Now he will emerge from his basement and find that the world around him has changed.

Grufflenark

Nov 17, 2010
Why does he say "almost lowest" it doesn't seem like it possibly could get lower.

Unless someone manages to do a sick jump that avoids the 2 coins and doesn't need a goomba stomp. Also, holy shit how did he not die at the hammer throwers.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
IF ONLY HE HAD WAITED A SECOND LONGER AND MISSED THAT GOOMBA, HE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A 500pt RUN!

No seriously, I don't understand why I'm so riveted to this.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hmm...now I wonder what the lowest score possible is in The Lost Levels? A bunch of parts (seemingly) require jumping across flying Koopas so Im guessing its higher than 600.

Roryomg

Jul 8, 2010
conflictofinterests said:
IF ONLY HE HAD WAITED A SECOND LONGER AND MISSED THAT GOOMBA, HE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A 500pt RUN!

He probably wouldn't have made such a low jump without it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
conflictofinterests said:

The goomba stomp was on purpose. If he had tried to clear the jump normally, he would have been forced to take the coins. If he didn't hit the goomba, then he'd fall to his death.

Hell if I know how wall jumping glitch works in here though.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Cain_Zeros said:
captainjackofms said:
He's clearly hitting the piranha plants
I'm more wondering about him running across gaps myself. Now, it's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure if you try to do that you just fall...
Nope, you can sprint over the gaps if they are only 1 block wide.

I'm in two minds about the Plants though, as I remember jumping over some in 4-1 and hitting others while doing what he did, but can't be sure.

The 4-2 warp was probably a mistake which he reloaded, but for the sake of flow didn't show any of the part he'd already shown.

Canus

Feb 15, 2010
RidetheLightning said:
Serving UpSmiles said:
RidetheLightning said:
A prime exampe of people with wayy too much free time
Egh, posts like yours really upset me, if you think they have so much free time why don't you ask them? eyhe might be just a loyal fan doing this over the weekend, how prude and condescending >_>
Sheesh I didn't mean to blaspheme against your Lord and God in my earlier post and for that I deeply apologise. I didn't put much thought into the comment and it was only meant to be a tongue in cheek remark for the bazillion amount of hours it must have taken to do the video but who am I to assume common sense in internet forums. I only assumed other users had a a sense of humour. Gosh if you got that upset about my comment then I doubt you'd survive watching Zero Punctuation. (Which I'll assume you do despite your seemingly glass sensitive feelings) Please note this post is NOT to be taken seriously and to be honest I was actually very impressed with the players skill in controlling Mario and I profusely apologise again if anyone reading this post is offended or upset, I promise to post more carefully so I don't tread on forum Emos next time.

P.S Thanks for bothering to read and reply to my comment looks like the Mario gamer and myself aren't the only people with too much free time

Free Speech LOL
It's just really annoying to see people make "too much free time" comments every time someone posts something cool like this. For the same time it takes to play one modern video game, any one of us could perfect something like this and have a 100k+ youtube video to show for it, instead of some Mass Effect 2 (or whatever) achievements that literally no one else cares about.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
GasMasksAreForChumps said:
He seemed to walk over some gaps....or is it just game design? Anyways, I was laughing my butt off at the hammer bros, when they can't hit him when he's right in front of them.
If you're running, you can pass tiny gaps. Game design.

Anyway, it looks... legit. And awesome.
Someone needs to make a pun about his name, though. Someone.

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
The only question I would have as to its legitimacy would be whether he took savestates between levels and then spliced together the perfect runs of each level (not outside the realms of possibility by any stretch of the imagination).
Still an impressive run though, regardless of whether that's the case. The solution to the goomba pit amused me too ^_^