Square Enix Calls Final Fantasy XIII-2 "Dark and Mysterious"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Lightning won't be breaking out a microphone for her appearance in Final Fantasy XIII-2.

New details on Final Fantasy X-2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107151-Final-Fantasy-XIII-2-Trailer-Sees-Lightning-Reborn-in-Feathers] and will change a lot more than fans might think.

Final Fantasy X-2 was a lighthearted affair with the main characters constantly changing outfits and singing their hearts out. Kitase and Toriyama confirmed that Final Fantasy XIII-2 will not feature a singing Lightning. Instead, the game will have a "dark and mysterious" feel.

It'll start right in Gran Pulse (no more 20 hour wait before the good stuff), and be a "true sequel," meaning that Final Fantasy XIII-2's story will directly continue that from the first game and even take a look at what went on behind the scenes during Final Fantasy XIII. As expected from XIII-2's first trailer, the game will focus on Lightning and the goddess Etro.

Kitase and Toriyama said that they've been listening to criticisms of Final Fantasy XIII from all over the world regarding "characters, story and interface," and are incorporating that feedback into Final Fantasy XIII-2. The ATB battle system is being "evolved," with difficulty settings under discussion. The cast of characters from the original game will return, but some may feature major changes and appear in "unexpected forms."

The battle system in Final Fantasy XIII wasn't the bees knees for me, so I'm intrigued by its potential in an improved form, and by the "unexpected" future appearances of Sazh and... well mostly just Sazh. Maybe Square Enix will armor him up like the new Lightning to become even more of a badass, or replace his hand with a Gatling gun.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/24/flying_get_d_style/]

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
I'm excited. That is all I really have to say but it is worth mentioning that while I loved the battle system for FFXIII I also loved most of the battle systems from previous games. I too am interested in how the new system will work.

I need to finish XIII. I was trying to do all the missions, but apparently some of them are only meant to be done once you have finished the game and unlocked the last tier of abilities. Because three tonberrys at once is eesh.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Well, I mean they would, wouldn't they?

They're hardly going to say "Eh, it's all right."

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Read: Emo and whiney

Seriously, Square Enix couldn't get any story right, don't even mention their so called strength in 'emotion/story'. It's all cliché and superficial for me. Snow never stopping to whine about some girl he wants to marry.

Her best prospect being either turned into a mineral or whatever, but he keeps yapping and whining despite it all.

I have no trust/faith in this entire project. Hope it fails from the bottom of my heart.
theres no pleasing you in this game is there?

OT: I liked ff XIII, although it got very hard towards the end and I have yet to get a chance to finish it, and I hope to get a chance to before this comes out.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Why does every sequel need to be Darker and Edgier?

Can't we have a happy sequel for once?
Er.... Final Fantasy X-2. I seriously can't see how they could have made it MORE happy.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Lightning won't be breaking out a microphone for her appearance in Final Fantasy XIII-2.
Whether or not I had any interest in this game, this is just about the best news I could ever hear. If she's not changing her clothes every battle, that'll make it even better!

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The battle system in Final Fantasy XIII-2 wasn't the bees knees for me, so I'm intrigued by its potential in an improved form, and by the "unexpected" future appearances of Sazh and... well mostly just Sazh. Maybe Square Enix will armor him up like the new Lightning to become even more of a badass, or replace his hand with a Gatling gun.
You're missing something VERY IMPORTANT there. Fang. SO MUCH MORE FANG IS NEEDED.

Hell, make the game solely about Fang. She has a GIANT TRANSFORMING DRAGON as her Eidolon. COME ON. She's absolutely brutal and badass!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
Maybe Square Enix will armor him up like the new Lightning to become even more of a badass, or replace his hand with a Gatling gun.
Picture a Protoss Dragoon. With an Afro on the top.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
The battle system in Final Fantasy XIII-2 wasn't the bees knees for me
Huh?

Anyway, it's becoming pretty clear that SE really wants to break away from traditional RPGing. Which is fine, turn-based combat has fallen out of favour for the twitchy types. XIII was okay to me, but was a lot of wasted potential with their gamble on the new system (which I personally liked). Honestly, I think they should just come out with it and make it "Kingdom Hearts without the Disney". It would work, by the gods it would work.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
They already hit rock bottom with Dirge of Cerberus.
Any game they release has to be better than THAT.