Square Enix Calls Final Fantasy XIII-2 "Dark and Mysterious"

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
FF 13 was awful so I am skipping the sequel and most likely all new final fantasy games.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That would be pretty sweet if they replaced Sazh's hand with a Gatling gun, I would probably use him more often. I will withhold judgement on this one, only because SE isn't that well known for sequels, i.e. they kinda suck. I liked FF XIII and it's battle system so I will keep an eye on this with a wait and see attitude.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Read: Emo and whiney

Seriously, Square Enix couldn't get any story right, don't even mention their so called strength in 'emotion/story'. It's all cliché and superficial for me. Snow never stopping to whine about some girl he wants to marry.
Again with the lack of understanding of Japanese storytelling. Too many people do this...

What appears to you as "emo and whiny" is simply the fact that Japanese stories, be it film, games, whatever, involve intense emotional struggle as a rule. They also tend to have their characters talk about it all. Japanese characters discuss their troubles with the other characters, they monologue about their emotional trauma. It's not a matter of being emo or whiny, it's simply a more straightforward means of expression that characterizes their storytelling. Honestly, explain to me how the character drama in the first half of XIII is superficial.

Snow is engaged to Lightning's sister, Serah, but Lightning has never liked Snow. While Snow is optimistic and determined, Lightning is more cynical and tends to be highly annoyed by Snow's constant optimism, thinking he's a blind, irresponsible child. Their two personalities and outlooks are in perfect opposition. So when Serah is turned to crystal, Snow determines to somehow change her back, which only makes Lightning more angry at him, as, in her mind, it's Snow's fault in the first place; to her, he is simply belittling the situation.

Meanwhile, Snow's place as a leader of the resistance ends in many deaths, one of which is a mother who, before she dies, simply says, "Take care of him." Hope, her son, sees her fall (honestly, a kid is justified in any amount of whining after [/I]seeing his mother die and fall into a bottomless cavern[/I]), and blames Snow for his mother's death.

When the party is separated later on after being turned into L'Cie (it's complicated), Lightning teaches Hope to be more aggressive, making him a better fighter and, in a blind rage at Snow, encouraging Hope to take his revenge. She even gives him a knife to do it. Eventually, she realizes her mistake in driving Hope, an innocent child, toward the goal of killing a man who is fighting on their side, a fellow L'Cie struggling in this like the rest of them. She realizes, partially at least, that Snow has only been trying to help, and she is being immature for blaming him for Serah's crystallization. However, her previous words have had their effect, and when Hope later meets up again with Snow, <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9lbz1fqcNQ>this happens.

Those three characters alone had such well-written drama between them, intensifying, feeding, and taking inspiration from each other in perfect fashion. You don't have to like it, but don't go railing on it just because their style is different from what you're used to.

genamp

Nov 18, 2010
In all honesty, I also say they should shoot for something. Besides, everyone complains about Cloud and Squall due to their moodiness (i.e. "emo") but they are still hailed as complex, interesting characters in the universe; and yes, this is the sad, general consensus. Western audiences just seem more receptive to characters with either no personality (Mr. Fenix) or realistic emotion (the cast of Heavy Rain). Extremes don't have as much room anymore. Still, FFVII sold for a reason, even if the story was a little trite and convoluted and the characters were archetypes (they weren't voiced until Advent though... hmm). XIII just suffers from tried conventions and cliches, but they have quite a bit of room to improve in my book.

And Square is just playing on sales numbers and previous examples of what happened and the reception to those games. If anything, it will be a decent game and will sell. That's all they're worried about. Not the opinions of fans. And if it helps the company push towards Versus XIII or the next Kingdom Hearts, or whatever, I'm game for a FFXIII-2 to hold me over until the better product is finished.

As for character opinions, we'll I'll hold those to myself. :)

Lord_Nemesis

Paragon Printer
Nov 28, 2010
Square Enix can call it all it wants. Just because I call a pile of dog shit "a steaming pile of beauty and browny goodness" doesnt mean it is so.

So why don't they just quote the truth:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is YET ANOTHER MONEY GRABBIN SCHEME AND DISAPPOINTMENT TO OUR FANS.

Square Enix, I fucking love... to hate you right now.
Peace out motherfuckers.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Maybe they'll add a zombie mode. They could make all the enemies zombified, including (if there are any) the zombie enemies. Who wouldn't want to kill zombified zombies?! It's guarenteed to sell more.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Read: Emo and whiney

Seriously, Square Enix couldn't get any story right, don't even mention their so called strength in 'emotion/story'. It's all cliché and superficial for me. Snow never stopping to whine about some girl he wants to marry.

Her best prospect being either turned into a mineral or whatever, but he keeps yapping and whining despite it all.

I have no trust/faith in this entire project. Hope it fails from the bottom of my heart.
I am warning you now, I have the whambulance on standby, look I hated FFX-2 and I didn't care for FFXIII, it was the weakest non-MMO/Spin-off thus far IMHO but at the same time you are ATM coming across as *Gasp* Emo and whiney

Anggul

Jun 10, 2009
Hopefully they'll eventually realise that their menu-obsessed combat is not wanted and that the Namco 'Tales' games have had the superior combat system for years.

May 28, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Why does every sequel need to be Darker and Edgier?

Can't we have a happy sequel for once?
I agree MW3 sunflower edition anyone?

Instead of a nuke you get a robot unicorn

KILLERTHING

Nov 13, 2009
From what ive heard XIII-2 sounds to be a vast improvement over XIII (not that XIII was crap) and i do like the sound of the story changes and more exploration.

Also sazh with a gatling gun instead of one of his arms would be just hilarious.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Exort said:
Well there is no where to go but up.
*laughs* Perfect comeback.

Hey, in that still, isn't that that one chick from World Heroes? ...*snaps fingers* Oh, what was her name... ANywho, *shrugs* Didn't care for 13. haven't cared much since 6. Not too excited about any "dark and mysterious" sequals. Ep 3 was "dark" and it was goddawful, so mixing goddawful with goddawful could just make... goddawful?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Why are they so dead set on making sequels to the worst Final Fantasy games ever. And why are they even more determined to make abysmal sequels to Final Fantasy Tactics?! Hell even the PSP port was horrible.

Binky1982

Jan 19, 2011
I thought the combat system in XIII was pretty nice, I got to grips with it straight away and ended up finding a lot of the combat too easy, even the last boss wasn't a struggle. It just meant I went through pretty much the entire game using only the 3 same characters and 1 Aeon (which was a shame) unless forced otherwise.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
//The cast of characters from the original game will return, but some may feature major changes and appear in "unexpected forms."

That better include Oerba Yun Fang...