Square Enix Calls Final Fantasy XIII-2 "Dark and Mysterious"

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Instead, the game will have a "dark and mysterious" feel.
Oh god, everyone is going to get long, spiky black hair and trench coats.

..the game will focus on Lightning and the goddess Etro.
Yay! Favorite character is focused upon! Although, I really do not like the armor in this game so far, on her. I liked the more dexterous and rough hero look of her in FFXIII. It gave her personality, damnit!

Maybe Square Enix will armor him up like the new Lightning to become even more of a badass, or replace his hand with a Gatling gun.
They are going to give Sazh the "Canderous Ordo" look?

FUCK YES!

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
In this thread: People who hate things to the point that they don't give the creators of the hated subject a chance to prove that they (the creators) are sincerely sorry about making a sub-par product and redeem themselves by making a better game.

Run-on sentence aside, I hope that FF XIII performs well.

Edit: I thought the original was already rather dark? I mean, the scene between Sazh and Vanille (you know the one) surely seemed grim.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
"Dark and Mysterious" ....

*clears throat* XD BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHA! HA! *sniff* Oh god, haha, ha, haaa, oh man, that's rich.

Zhalath

Mar 19, 2009
I enjoyed FF XIII. Thought the battle system was fun, characters actually did get interesting, and one of the most personal Xanatos Gambits I've had happen (up there with Bioshock).

So, hearing that they're doing "the same, but better"? Good news for me.

Also, I used Sahz all the time simply because I liked him, stats be damned. Bring him back.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
FreelanceButler said:
Appear in "unexpected forms"?
If that means Sazh isn't properly in it, I'm ragequitting before the game even starts.
My guess would it refers to
Fang and Vanille

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Shitty story confirmed, but it was confirmed as soon as we heard Motomu Toriyama was directing the story again.
I'm still interested to see how it goes, despite his butchering of good concepts.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
If by dark and mysterious they mean there will be shorter draw distances in the long corridor that comprises the game's world, well, then I guess I that makes sense.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Square Enix can call it what they want, but it doesn't mean it will be a good game.
Which based on Square Enix current track record it will not be.

Personally I think the only good game to ever carry the Square Enix brand was Kingdom Hearts 2.

I mean the first Kingdom Hearts was Squaresoft wasn't it? Man Squaresoft... THAT was a good company.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Kalezian said:
so.........every main character since FF V-VI?

god damn that Cloud, he started all of this!
I don't suppose you've played FF9?

Not that I care about the series in general or any of the games since then, but FF9 was fantastic. So was 6, really. 7 was... okay. Other than those, I prefer the other Square RPGs (Chrono Trigger and Rudras come to mind).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Reed Spacer said:
Well, I mean they would, wouldn't they?

They're hardly going to say "Eh, it's all right."
"Square Enix calls Final Fantasy XIII-2 mediocre and half-assed. World rotates backwards as game company offers candor for first time in history."

Patton662

Apr 4, 2010
Dr. McD said:
Patton662 said:
They call it "Dark and Mysterious" , I call it "Shitty and Generic" . Problem?
Yeah, what it means is more like shitty, generic and pretentious boring bullshit that manages to be worse than Call of Shovelware.
I hate generic FPS games as much as I hate generic JRPGs.

Blitzwing said:
Patton662 said:
They call it "Dark and Mysterious" , I call it "Shitty and Generic" . Problem?
U MAD ?

KILLERTHING

Nov 13, 2009
TheLiham said:
KILLERTHING said:
TheLiham said:
KILLERTHING said:
From what ive heard XIII-2 sounds to be a vast improvement over XIII (not that XIII was crap) and i do like the sound of the story changes and more exploration.

Also sazh with a gatling gun instead of one of his arms would be just hilarious.
You are aware that was a FFVII reference right? :p

OT: I really don't think this is going to be any good. FFXIII was a disappointment I am yet to finish even after buying it on launch day -.-
Nah i haven't played FFVII although i will when im done with VIII
You really should, both VII and VIII are absolutely fantastic games.
Much better than the recent ones.
Yeah im getting VII after completing VIII then IX off PSN.

Back on topic i really hope they improve drop rates for XIII-2 because they were appallingly bad in XIII.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
jboking said:
Straying Bullet said:
Necromancer1991 said:
I am warning you now, I have the whambulance on standby, look I hated FFX-2 and I didn't care for FFXIII, it was the weakest non-MMO/Spin-off thus far IMHO but at the same time you are ATM coming across as *Gasp* Emo and whiney

[[Video removed for sake of space]]
Yes, voicing my opinion deserves the Whambulance. Jesus Christ dude, get your head checked and don't quote me with an idiotic response in the future.
While I won't use emo as an adjective (because doing so is fairly retarded), your comment did come off as whiney. It's not an idiotic response, it's a fair one. I mean, I didn't like the game or any of the characters either, but I still recognize when someone is whining about the game.

OT: It being "Dark and Mysterious" still doesn't mean I'll buy it.
Thank you for the assist, yes I went a bit overboard. Anyway back on topic from what I can tell the aesthetics seem more like your traditional Final Fantasy now (Plate mail, castles, etc) and I sincerely hope this does better than the first, they are more or less transplanting the characters into a different environment, which is more or less an idea I like, I liked the cast (I had some minor issues but every character gets a nice arc and I ended my playthrough more or less liking each character except Vanille, vanilee, oh whatever the Moe-blob's name was). As long as this game doesn't screw the pooch on the previous game's continuity (I won't name names but you know who you are). FFXIII had an open ending, they turned to crystal and more or less entered a state of hibernation.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
More annoying JRPG protagonists whining about shit that doesn't matter... Yay?

Don't get me wrong, making a sequel darker can totally work, but this is Square Enix we're talking about. They don't just fail at writing dark and edgy stories and dialog; they're flat out horrible at it.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Why does every sequel need to be Darker and Edgier?

Can't we have a happy sequel for once?
Well, considering that being happy wasn't one of the things that made X-2 suck in my opinion (that'd be the story and characters) I'm all for happy things, so long as it makes sense. You know, because a happy Silent Hill wouldn't be the best thing in the world...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
On the subject of Darker and Edgier games Square.....why don't you try, i dunno, taking some inspiration for lead protagonists from a certain other game you made in conjunction with Cavia, that was incredibly dark and even somewhat traumatizing. And yes, I am talking of Drakengard.

Admit it, for all it's faults Drakengard did have a pretty damned unique cast of player characters...even though they were all downright evil and insane, but still, imagine playing an FF game where your lead character has a personality like Caim's.