Kinect Becomes the Fastest Selling Gizmo Ever

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kinect Becomes the Fastest Selling Gizmo Ever

Microsoft has sold ten million Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299726483&sr=8-1] motion controllers for the Xbox 360, making it the fastest-selling consumer electronics device in history.

Microsoft apparently wasn't kidding when it predicted that Kinect would be the Guinness Book of Records [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103571-Kinect-Will-Be-the-Biggest-Platform-Launch-Ever-Says-Microsoft], which declared it the fastest-selling electronic gizmo of all time.

Sales have naturally tapered off since the holidays but in its first 60 days on the market, beginning in North America on November 4, Kinect sales reached eight million units, an average of 133,333 every day. "The sales figures here speak for themselves," said Guinness World Records Gaming Editor Gaz Deaves. "According to independent research, no other consumer electronics device sold faster within a 60-day time span, which is an incredible achievement considering the strength of the sector."

Microsoft claimed that more "transformative" experiences are on the way this year, with a must-have lineup that includes Avatar Kinect, Body and Brain Connection, Michael Jackson: The Experience, Child of Eden, The Gunstringer, Kung Fu Panda 2, Carnival Games: Monkey See, Monkey Do and Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Maybe I am just jaded but I don't know of anyone that has bought one of these. The candle that burns brightest and all that.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Well, credit where credit is due. It is a fun thing for parties. I cannot deny that.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Goes to show actually trying something different pays off once in awhile.

That being said, I even hate the wiimote. I doubt I'd get into controllerless gameplay.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Congrats and all that, but where are the hardcore games? I know this has been asked a lot already, but none of these "must have" games are action titles or shooters or platformers. Just a bunch of kids stuff, regardless of who (Double Fine is making Sesame Street and I think Twisted Pixel is making Gunslinger) is making them. And what about Shadows of the Damned, or whatever it's called? I figured that would be important right? RIGHT? CONSIDERING IT IS ONE OF THE FEW LEGITIMATELY HARDCORE TITLES YOU HAVE SLATED FOR RELEASE?

Good on ya for breaking 10 mil (if you actually have that many sold this time and NOT SHIPPED LIKE LAST TIME) but unless you can provide great, thrilling experiences that my Wii can't, I see no reason to buy one. Honestly what's the point if you can't support it with at least SOME great games right off the bat?

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
This is very, very suprising. Many reasonable arguments were made about why the Kinect would have trouble catching on. However, I'm glad it did as we will all benefit from this (whether we realize it now or not).

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
I'm very surprised by this. In regards to "hardcore games" for the Kinect, let's be honest, the chances that platformers and shooters will translate well to the Kinect are pretty slim. It's not designed for that, people will make games that do that, but they won't be nearly as good as a more traditional twin stick shooter. The hardcore games for the kinect are out already, because those are the games the controller is designed for.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
the fact that sold well is the most retarded thing Ive ever heard

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
This is a victory for all Microsoft Fanboys Everywhere

Me, I refuse to buy it till Child of Eden comes out.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Really? Best selling electronic consumer device? Isn't that a little bit of a broad catagory? I mean, surely the Wii/DS/PS2/any other electronic consumer device has sold at a faster rate than that? Hell, the iPod/iPhone or whatever Apple makes nowadays must have sold that much in a day. What data did they get this from?

Not to discredit Microsoft's achievement with the Kinect, however. It's great that something different out there is selling well, but I can't help but feel that it's for the wrong reasons. Right now, we're seeing the same crap we saw with the Wii when it first launched (and to an extent, we're still seeing it). There isn't a single "hardcore" title on that list that is the "must have" title for anybody with a Kinect. Kinect seems to be selling solely on "Fun for the whole Family!" and that is perfectly fine to an extent, but I don't think it's living up to it's true potential.

I want to see a Kinect game that utilizes the features that only Kinect, with its voice recognition, full body motion control, and the possible ability to "scan" or whatever items from real life into a game (a stick could turn into a lightsaber), can deliver.

Sadly, I don't think we'll be seeing that for a long, long time.

ArgyleBandit

Mar 1, 2010
According to Wikipedia there are 50 million XBoxes world wide. If they've sold 10 million Kinects then 20% of all 360 owners have one. Can that possibly be right? If there were 10 million software sales and 10 million hardware sales then each person owning a Kinect would only have one game? I would assume anyone purchasing Kinect would grab 2-3 titles.

I'm sure Kinect has sold well but 10 million seems a bit unbelievable.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
I usually jump on the bandwagon, but I probably won't like spending $150 for a peripheral that requires too much free space.

Jumplion said:
Really? Best selling electronic consumer device? Isn't that a little bit of a broad catagory? I mean, surely the Wii/DS/PS2/any other electronic consumer device has sold at a faster rate than that? Hell, the iPod/iPhone or whatever Apple makes nowadays must have sold that much in a day. What data did they get this from?
Didn't the Wii have a massive shortage for months at a time when it came out? That's the only way I can imagine the Kinect sold faster than the Wii.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Just..... why? What makes it so different from everything else released in the past 10 years?

10 million people would rather buy junk then donate money to good causes I guess. Sorry starving orphans, I want an updated EyeToy!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
thisbymaster said:
Maybe I am just jaded but I don't know of anyone that has bought one of these. The candle that burns brightest and all that.
I'm with you. I don't know a single person who bought one of those.

ObsessiveSketch said:
I'd bet my Steam account that the 3DS shatters this new record.
I can't agree more with that statement. In Japan they were sold out of units, nationwide, the first day. That is 400k units down. If they don't beat it, it is only because they shot themselves in the foot... again.

FungiGamer said:
10 million people would rather buy junk then donate money to good causes I guess. Sorry starving orphans, I want an updated EyeToy!
I'm just curious as to what leads to this thought pattern. My girlfriend is always going on about people complaining about their "first world problems". I think that people should be able to reap the benefits from their hard work, even if it's for an updated eyetoy(love that comparison by the way, it's so freakin' true). I'm not harping or trying to be confrontational, but I really want to understand this thought pattern. Are people not allowed to be happy or enjoy things because there are people suffering in the world?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Defense said:
I usually jump on the bandwagon, but I probably won't like spending $150 for a peripheral that requires too much free space.

Jumplion said:
Didn't the Wii have a massive shortage for months at a time when it came out? That's the only way I can imagine the Kinect sold faster than the Wii.
To be fair, Dance Central is an absolute blast to play/dance to. It's the only reason I would ever get a 360 for a Kinect (so far, at least).

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
*Shrugs* Still looks like an advanced version fo the eye-toy to me... I don't personally know anyone who owns a kinect.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Wow. A lot of sour grapes going on here. I'm considering getting a Kinect for myself, and I don't even own an XBox. I just want to play around with it on my PC and see if I can't find a way to use it with space combat games(not as the main controller).