7554: Vietnam's Call of Duty Coming Next Year

The Random One

May 29, 2008
If I had to, I'd choose to play a realistic shooter that 1) didn't have the bloody Americans in it 2) didn't take place in bloody WWII and 3) had everyone shouting frantically in a language I can't understand. So this is great!

If I don't have to, though, I probably won't play any realistic shooter. So there.

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
If the $12 price sticks, I'll be happy to buy it simply because I'm so fucking tired of playing as America. CoD has been alright, but Homefront was ridiculous, I gots the serious need to play behind a differnt culture. Metro 2033 was a good start, too bad we'll never see anything from a German perspective (Because anything touching the Nazi's would have to have impecable writing, push itself to be art and be seriously self aware. And anything in WW1 as Germany would just be overshadowed by WW2. It'd never be released in Germany anyway and devs from other countries will have so many other ideas closer to them.)

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Whoa Whoa wait. A game where I'm Asian and against white europeans and I am not the bad guy?
I think some american guy just had his mind blown.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ehhh...

I love the idea. It would make for an interestingly different perspective.

However, the game just looks like a budget version of Call of Duty.

Ah well, I hope it goes well for them.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
It looks like these guys were making a World War 2 game, but decided to set in the French Vietnam war at the last minute so they could reuse the weapons but take place in a less used war.

This also doesn't look like it has the highest production values in the world and looks pretty terrible.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I swear to god, at first glance and just reading the title, I thought this was lapha footage from a new treyarch CoD.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Actually it's not potentially sticky at all.
Everything you said actually reinforces my point. The victories over France and the US may be a reason to party down in Vietnam, but I think you're being a little disingenuous if you're seriously saying that you don't see any potential stickiness at all in an international release of a videogame about the ejection of a major western colonial power in the modern era.

Do you think it would be a little dicey if Crytek decided to make a game about, oh, say, kicking the shit out of France in the early 40s? Because I think it might be, just a bit. And I wouldn't personally have a problem with it - my semi-boycott of WW2 shooters will end immediately if someone ever puts one out that lets me play as the Wehrmacht - but in the big picture I think it'd probably be the cause of some hurt feelings and a few awkward moments.

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
It looks like these guys were making a World War 2 game, but decided to set in the French Vietnam war at the last minute so they could reuse the weapons but take place in a less used war.

This also doesn't look like it has the highest production values in the world and looks pretty terrible.
(bold added by me)

Love the Vietnamophobe racist under-current there buddy, perfectly complemented by ignorance and arrogance. But what could one expect from an American.

1) The developers are Vietnamese. I'm reasonably sure they set out to make a game set in the First Indochina War from the start.

2) The First Indochina War raged between 1946-1954. The game itself takes place in 1954. World War 2-era firearms, bolt-action and semi-automatic weapons, were standard issue back then.

The AK-47 was barely 5 years old in 1954 and still dogged by production problems, so manufacture went on in tandem with the SKS carbine. It wouldn't be until 1956 that the AK-47 started to enter service in significant numbers with the frontline Red Army units. Significant quantities of AK-47 rifles wouldn't start appearing abroad until 1960 onwards

The US M-14 rifle was still 5 years away from introduction. The M-16 rifle was almost 10 years away.

So precisely what weapons were you expecting to see?

3) Pardon me, but don't video game graphics today need millions of dollars to be brought to AAA status?

Last time I checked Emobi Games didn't have an Activision-grade publisher behind them to shovel the wads of cash needed to produce today's fancy graphics.

So precisely what are you saying : "Oh, they're poor so of course their games suck".

That's right up there with "If the film doesn't have Avatar-level CGI, the film sucks" - a perfect example of American imbecile thinking.

Congrats.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Agent Larkin said:
Random berk said:
Was that a luger the player was using? My airsoft sidearm
is a luger!:D Its a piece of shit.

Yeah,I think I'll not be buying this. Bad enough that every game my brother owns is a variation of CoD and Battlefield without me buying them as well.
Japanese Nambu pistol not Luger.
Eh, close enough.

You know what we need? An fps set in the American Revolution, or the Russian revolution or something. Guns that take thirty seconds to reload, swords instead of knives, and the most high tech weapon on the battlefield is some sort of cannon. I'd buy that.:)

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Everything you said actually reinforces my point. The victories over France and the US may be a reason to party down in Vietnam, but I think you're being a little disingenuous if you're seriously saying that you don't see any potential stickiness at all in an international release of a videogame about the ejection of a major western colonial power in the modern era.

Do you think it would be a little dicey if Crytek decided to make a game about, oh, say, kicking the shit out of France in the early 40s? Because I think it might be, just a bit. And I wouldn't personally have a problem with it - my semi-boycott of WW2 shooters will end immediately if someone ever puts one out that lets me play as the Wehrmacht - but in the big picture I think it'd probably be the cause of some hurt feelings and a few awkward moments.
There's nothing to compare between your hypothetical game and this game other than that the enemies are the mid-century French. The reason no one usually depicts battles of WW2 from the victorious German perspective is because of the public perception that your actions would be facilitating all of the crimes against humanity committed by the Third Reich. That's the 'awkward moment', not one that arises from thinking "I wonder what the French would think about being targeted in this game?" Because no one ever seems to ask what Russians, Germans, Japanese, Italians, Iraqis, Vietnamese or Afghanis think about being the villains in all the American made shooters.

I'm not being disingenuous at all. I genuinely believe that there's no stickiness in a developer releasing a game that celebrates the battle which lead to their independence. The rest of the world has no overt problem with America's regular videogame glory-hogging over wars that were far less pivotal to their survival as an independent nation, so to get offended or hurt because the Vietnamese might happen to remind everybody that once upon a time they got dicked over by the West would be about the height of ethnocentrism.

I welcome games like this with open arms. Almost every 'historical' videogame that comes out these days just reinforces the same narrow view of countries belonging to NATO as morally righteous crusaders, and that's not exactly a balanced view of this historical period.

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
Blind Sight said:
Deviate said:
I'm definitely buying this, even if only to support a military FPS setting that does not automatically put you inside a western knobhead yelling "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" every two minutes of gameplay. The western propaganda is getting old by now. This might show a little more respect to the setting of warfare, or at least it's got the potential for it.
To be honest, with Vietnamese censorship laws it's more likely that it'll just be 'VIETNAM, FUCK YEAH!' instead of America. Which is still an interesting alternative nonetheless.
I went to Vietnam a few years back, (I'm Australian), and they're incredibly respectful, when I revealed I was Australian they really showed me respect and admiration!

They're a wonderful bunch, apart from a few bag eggs.

OT: I'll get it, just to support the company.

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
gamma1234 said:
... Couldn't they just have modded CoD2?

It'd look exactly the same.
The Vietnamese want to be part of the gaming world and need something THEY made to be proud of it, and seriously, don't you want that?

I give them the green light to go ahead to give themselves one title they can be proud of, sure it's not as amazing as anything we've experienced, but they've obviously worked hard at it and are trying to give their country an example of what THEY can do.

It's nothing new, nothing amazing, but it will give Vietnam a chance to become part of the gaming world, and we can only benefit.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Any game where you get to shoot the french must be good! (Apologies; its the stock UK answer, i'm required by law (probably) to say it!)

Seriously though! Will be nice to see a different side to the games! I wonder if there will be lots of jungles and tunnels?

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I will play this game, and I will play all games like it.

Gaming is the only media genre that virtually doesn't "allow" anything other than "Western Military Might" propaganda. The story is always nonsense, jingoist, and disturbing. More people need to wake up and realize that we are dealing with something other than "art imitates life". In the case of military shooters, it's forced.

Amazon Link [http://www.amazon.com/Blackwater-microsoft-xbox-360/dp/B005EZ5GUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323252952&sr=8-1]

Ooooh yeaaah..
Kinda think the horse is long past dead at this point, isn't it? It's in fact, a bloody pulpy mess.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
I'm kinda wondering where all these "America is Perfect Heroic" games everyone is complaining about actually are.

CoD4: The Americans all get KILLED. The Brits save the day.

MW2: The Americans are woefully underprepared for an invasion of the United States. They struggle valiantly but mostly vainly until the Brits save the day (again). Oh, and a Power-Mad American General straight out of Central Casting turns out to have been behind it all. You spend much of the final act killing American soldiers.

Battlefield 3: The villain is a CIA asset that the Americans are too dumb to realize is playing them, until they nearly have a bomb detonate in New York. The Russian GRU operative is as much a hero in the game as the American Marine. The Marine's only squadmate to survive is the one who early in the game describes America as "founded by terrorists, for terrorists."

Medal of Honor: There is a significant subplot about an obstinate, incompetent American commander, who is identified as a General but instead of a uniform wears a suit with an American flag on the lapel and might as well have a sign on his desk reading, "I'm supposed to be Dick Cheney."

Black Ops: The American hero is heavily implied to have assassinated the US President. Ouch.

Homefront: True, the North Korean military are portrayed as unsubtle vicious brutes, but if you know anything about how that country is run, it's not exactly out of nowhere. Not to worry though, there is an entire section of the game where you fight against bloodthirsty insane American survivalists.

Metal Gear Solid: Seriously, Metal Gear Solid.

Sorry, not seeing the jingoistic pro-American aspect everyone is mad about.

Sam Vimes

Jul 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:

I'm French and I'm cool with it. The French have a lot of issues concerning our colonial past, it's still a taboo subject in 2011. I'm hoping that one day a major production like a movie or a video game will be the kick in the nuts we need to actually talk about it and face the horrors we committed. Although I highly doubt it'll be with this game because let's be honest, it's majorly outdated.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Honestly, if we can still make games where it's acceptable to go round shooting the Russians, I don't see why there should be a problem with a game where you can go round shooting the French.

Obviously as an Englishman, such a game would automatically be my game of the year.

I kid, I kid, I love the French really... [small]especially their women[/small]...
Do the English and French still hate each other? Is it like the hate that the Irish have for the English?