8-year-old's Uzi death at gun show

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Bigeyez said:
anthony87 said:
cobra_ky said:
Well now that that's out of the way, can the rest of us all agree that children under a certain age should not be allowed access to certain dangerous objects, such as a sub-machine gun?
I can't help but feel like I should insert some pointless, over complicated scientific jargon to both appease my ego and derail the point of this thread....

Screw it I'll just agree with you.
I will counter both of you by mentioning a statistic without any sources to back myself up, and then completely ignore those who link actual sources proving my statistics wrong.
I gotta say that was actually one of the better trolls I've had to deal with in my time.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
anthony87 said:
Bigeyez said:
anthony87 said:
cobra_ky said:
Well now that that's out of the way, can the rest of us all agree that children under a certain age should not be allowed access to certain dangerous objects, such as a sub-machine gun?
I can't help but feel like I should insert some pointless, over complicated scientific jargon to both appease my ego and derail the point of this thread....

I will counter both of you by mentioning a statistic without any sources to back myself up, and then completely ignore those who link actual sources proving my statistics wrong.
I gotta say that was actually one of the better trolls I've had to deal with in my time.
Same. 'Tis a gentleman's game, trollhunting.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Jam maybe caused by limp wristing it, rather than poor maintenance. That said article was a little vague about what actually happened.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
Who the fuck has a loaded gun at a gun show? That is what confuses my safety minded yet gun loving American brain.

epiphany1993

Jul 8, 2009
Ururu117 said:
George144 said:
Yet the Americans are still so firm about defending their right to bear arms, you never seem to hear about guns saving people just constant tragic accidents with them.
Really? That seems interesting. Confirmed cases of robberies being averted, all sorts of basic crime being deterred, etc etc, all of that doesn't "save people"? All of it is constant tragedy?

Guns are a tool. That tool feeds plenty of people (the Inuit for example), allows for stability OR unrest, and everything else. Power tools cause all kinds of accidents and tragedies, does that mean they have no use?

Don't mistake me for a gun nut either. Fuck if I care if people have guns or not, but this kind of argument is simply silly. Canada has more guns per person than America, yet significantly less crime. Obviously, the guns aren't going off by themselves, now are they?
robberies that wouldnt need to be averted if people never had guns in the first place or if the government looked after its people so unemployment wasnt so high

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
A gun that's unreasonably dangerous? Now there's a laugh.

Whilst no one deserves what happened, taking an 8 year to a gun show and then letting him wield an Uzi is their fault.

A 15 year old instructor doesn't sound like the brightest idea though (saying that and I myself am 15).

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
mechanixis said:
anthony87 said:
Bigeyez said:
anthony87 said:
cobra_ky said:

Having said that, I sincerly hope that she really was a troll. If she was being sincere and there really are people like her in the world then I don't want to know about them.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Ururu117 said:
Blair Bennett said:
This is officially the most hilarious troll I've ever dealt with.
Glad to know kids killing themselves is hilarious to more than just this one bio-organic machine.
I think this guy is trying WAY TOO HARD to stand out...

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
anthony87 said:
mechanixis said:
anthony87 said:
Bigeyez said:
anthony87 said:
cobra_ky said:

Having said that, I sincerly hope that she really was a troll. If she was being sincere and there really are people like her in the world then I don't want to know about them.
They're always real, I'm afraid. If you want a real scare about what humans can be like, though, check out the Westboro Baptist Church, at their website, GODHATESAMERICA.com.

paasi

Feb 22, 2009
Ururu117 said:
paasi said:
Ururu117 said:
paasi said:
Ururu117 said:
paasi said:
Ururu117 said:
paasi said:
Venatio said:
Rather old story, that was a year ago right? Besides you know how some Americans are about guns. I mean, theres pro-gun and then theres gun obsessed. The death of the 8 year old was a tragedy, but it was completely the parents fault.
Yesh. I mean, what harm can a gun do to a man without a man wielding it? All guns should be banned? Nah, that's stupid. No use blaming tools for what the users do so we'll ban the people using guns. That's sensible. (^_^)_b
Considering the tools still have a valid use, it is far more sensible.
Only tools that have a valid use are shovels used for entombing the casualties.
The hammer has no valid use?
The flame thrower?
TNT?
You'll have to excuse the example, not lower yourself to nitpicking, and realize it was not meant to be an extensive, all-ancompassing answer but an antagonizing spike.
It isn't nit picking. If I wanted to nit pick, I'd talk about how your sentence is unparsable and ambiguous, contains several errors both in logic and in sheer word usage.

"only tools that have a valid use"
"are"
"shovels used for entombing the casualties"

All three of these fragments make sense, but they in no way go together.

Did you mean "The only tools that have a valid use are the shovels used for entombing the casualties"?

Welcome to nit picking 101.
Would you like to see how deep the rabbit hole goes?
You really are intent on lowering your value as an intelligent human, aren't you? Show me an undeniable fact why firearms should not be restricted in a very strict fashion? Crime prevention? It only encourages people into firearm related crimes. Self-defence? Turns into murder.
Crap! now I'm late.
As if I cared what you thought of me.

The problem is externalities and one of social politics.
If all guns could be eliminated, then a strict fashion would be very effective, ala Japan and their embargos.

The problem is we produce, import, and sustain an enormous economy of guns, not just for local use but for military efforts. It would be virtually impossible to stop the import of guns if we placed strict laws, allowing criminals to continue to use them while normal citizens could not. The only method to prevent this is to dismantle large portions of our infrastructure for the military, which is not feasible economically or politically.

tl;dr? The environment we have sustained around ourselves prevents strict gun regulations from having a noticeable effect past what we have already done. This is known as diminishing returns.

In order to institute the things you wish to institute, we'd need to have huge, far reaching programs, and a lot of rebates, etc etc, to get any sort of actual statistical effect.

Which means a far BETTER program is to swing the OTHER way, give guns to kids EARLIER with proper training, which has been proven to significantly reduce the number and severity of gun incidents, highly dependent on the age at which kids get a hold of guns, with 10 being the best age to give them guns.
The feeling is mutual, trust me.

You list only problems, an fail to see the possible results, not to speak of the actual question. Free reign of guns = more gunwielding possible criminals, restriction = less guns on the streets/more difficulty in getting one. The complete ban is an excellet idea an I'd support it, even though it is unrealistic. Restriction of manufacture or import was not what I had in mind, but if distrubution of licences was severely restrained it would have only a slight effect on the economy based on guns.
The point of restricting licences is weeding out unstable or otherwise possible threat posing individuals.

Introducing firearms to chilren is the most terrible idea i've ever heard. You well know that humans come in every imaginable form (mentally) and for every future skinhead, hippie, black supremist, white suppremist, druglord, thug or school girl to have a gun is adding oil to the fight against crime that US is already losing. Then there is the matter of the physique of those young rednecks just out of the cradle.

Why you continue to support arming the nation is beyond me. Utterly.
What you call arming criminals and disarming civilians, I call paranoia.
Arming everyone means even those criminals get their guns and then it's only a race of arms.
As a side note, if cutting support of firearms industry is neccessary then it should be done. People can live without them.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
The_AC said:
CNKFan said:
Who the fuck has a loaded gun at a gun show? That is what confuses my safety minded yet gun loving American brain.
It's at a shooting range; the article is being purposefully misleading.
Ah thanks for that. Still a gun should not be loaded when you are demonstrating how it works.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
This is ridiculous. I don't know how to make heads or tails of it...I don't know if the 15 year old should be sued for giving an 8 year old a loaded gun, or if the parents should be punished for neglect and child endangerment for letting the 8 year old improperly hold the loaded gun.

fatessilence

Nov 6, 2009
That sucks. Again, why would anyone bring an 8 year old child to a gun show? And why was a 15 year old being an instructor? I know that some parents are die hard hunters and teach their kids how to handle a gun at a young age (ex was a hunter) but still...that is plain stupidity. But an uzi gun is very different from a rifle. And why are they handleing loaded weapons? Another reason why stupid people should breed, they produce stupid offsprings.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
His gun jammed and he shot himself?

Let me guess: He looked down the barrel and accidentally pulled the trigger? LOL! Let me tell you, this wouldnt have happened if Bugs Bunny was still on tv!

This story will be the spearhead of my campaign to bring back classic childrens cartoons instead of all that japanese rubbish.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
mechanixis said:
anthony87 said:
mechanixis said:
anthony87 said:
Bigeyez said:
anthony87 said:
cobra_ky said:

They're always real, I'm afraid. If you want a real scare about what humans can be like, though, check out the Westboro Baptist Church, at their website, GODHATESAMERICA.com.
Yeah I know about those guys. They're fucking nuts.
I say we get the biker church after them.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
Do you not understand America? Nobody is held responsible for their stupidity, its always someone else's fault.

Why was he pointing it at himself anyway?

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
Ururu117 said:
this isn't tragic at all
..Well, an 8 year-old boy died. That's an ickle bit tragic, regardless of cause.

OT: Meh, guns are dangerous things not to be handled by inexperienced children, if the parents didn't know that then they shouldn't be raising a child at all.

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
i'm yet to understand this. like you i'm from europe, and can't even comprehend how this could happen. the idea of a gun show at all is pretty damn shocking to be honest, lots of people gathering round working guns seems at least slightly foolish to start with. but to then also take a child and HAND THEM A GUN is just ridiculous. i'm pretty much lost for words here.