80s babies, do you feel old around 90s babies?

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
I do feel old around them ('81 here). Right now, actually, my neighbor is blaring his "young person" music.. Linkin Park and other emo/numetal crap (probably newer, probably inspired by Linkin Park, if that's possible). I fight back with Fugazi, Gang of Four, and other "my-music-has-integrity" bands (and some "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" for good measure), and we got a nice solid feud goin' on. So I guess the proximity makes me feel old, but then I act really young and petty.

Calumon: Neil Young? Tom Petty? Eww, that's grandpa music.

Me: Wha? "Calumon"? What's a "Calumon"; is it like one of those pokey-mans? Some shit the kids are into, no doubt.

(sorry, Jack!)

Abbyrose07

Mar 31, 2010
Not really I was born in 85 and no one can believe that I am almost 26...People at work when I tell them my age, are always like really I thought you were like 20 lol.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's a scary though that I have, on occasion, bean beaten at CoD by my cousin, who was born 8 days after 9/11! American Pie came out over ten years ago... Jesus christ. I'm only 20, I shouldn't feel this old.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I was born in 1988. :) Most of my friends were the same age as me.
Not too many friends who were younger than me.

And I am dating a boy who was born in 1992. :p

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
AmayaOnnaOtaku said:
lockeslylcrit said:
1980, and yes, I feel old. Thankfully, I make up for it by keeping up with current tech and games. Born a gamer, live a gamer, die a gamer. That's pretty much the only thing that I have in common with you whipper-snappers.
Also born in 1980 and get off our lawn!
(j/k)
Also 1980. What does our lawn like, a damn public park? Now beat it, you filthy lil' moppets. [small]I'm gonna take away your ball and call your mom.[/small]

The weird thing as a gamer is that, while I do feel old sometimes, I then realize that I got to experience most of the evolution of entertainment software first-hand. For instance, about a week after I was born, this game was the hot new release:
About a month before my birthday this year, this game will probably be the big seller:
The part of my life that I've spent goofing off in front of a computer screen has been a crazy ride.

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
I was born in 1985 and yes, i do feel old around people born in the '90s. :(

Paksenarrion said:
And then they hit on me like I'm one of them. ^_^
That's a great opportunity to infiltrate their ranks and spy on them. :D

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Not just the games but what toys the children are playing with. I saw a little 3 yr old girl with a strawberry shortcake doll. Plus consider what computers were like when we were young compared to what the 90's kids had. My First computer was a TI-99!

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Uncreation said:
I was born in 1985 and yes, i do feel old around people born in the '90s. :(

Paksenarrion said:
And then they hit on me like I'm one of them. ^_^
That's a great opportunity to infiltrate their ranks and spy on them. :D
I'm not sure this is such a great plan...

*infiltrates ranks of teenage boys*

Teenage boys: "Bros before hos! I herd you like mudkips! Over 9000!"

Me: "FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
86 baby here. I find that my buddies and I are already having those "back in our day" talks when referring to mid 90s babies and onwards.

I think the biggest indicator of the age difference (albeit small) is technology. I didn't get a cell phone until I was in my 3rd year of university. Nowadays, I see kids aged 8+ texting their friends and frequenting social networking sites. I remember when I was their age, the most technology I had was when I got to occasionally play Rise of the Triad and Lode Runner on our old crappy computer.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I know exactly what you're saying? It's not so bad now, but when 90s kid meant without question that they were in their early teens, those were awkward times and I hated all "90s kids"

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Azrael the Cat said:
Born in 78. Yes.
Me too.

I don't actually see much difference between the generations really. The trends change but it's all the same really.

Raz_W

Mar 18, 2011
I was born in the 70s like a small handful here, I guess we're the Gen X geezers around these parts to you Gen Y and Z guys. I remember feeling really old for the first time in my life when I was in my mid 20s back around 2000 or so. At that time a lot of born in the 80s kids used to make me feel ancient because it seemed like people born after 1981 had little memory of the 80s. Now I see people born in the 90s talking about how THEY feel old and it's a mind bender. I mean I was born in 1975 and I'm technically old enough to be the parent of anyone born in the 90s. Even though I'm 35, people tell me I look really young and I get mistaken for 24 or 25 all the time, so I get these 18-20 year old girls born in 1991 or 1992 flirting with me from time to time. I guess they figure I must be some mid 20s guy. Although many of them can be really cute, I'd feel like a total perv trying anything with anyone with that much of an age gap. Those girls would probably freak when they found out my real age anyways.

Anyway for those of you wanting to know what the 80s and 90s were like (wow I can't believe I just typed that), honestly guys it wasn't all that different from now. It was simply different fashions, technology, and world politics. MTV, VCRs, camcorders, home computers and video games were all high concept in the 80s. Mainly because a lot of this wasn't really around in the 1970s. In the 90s world wide web internet use, emailing, online chatting and mainstream cell phone use were considered really high concept stuff. Before the mid-late 90s only the rich had cell phones or "car phones" as they were once called. That was high concept stuff in the 80s. All that is routine today so when you look back to the 80s and 90s it makes it look quaint and simple. All I can say guys is that its part of the circle of life and as you get older, you learn an acceptance. But that mid 20s transition period is probably the hardest to go through, just because it's tough leaving the youth culture behind and moving into being "one of the adults". And what is high concept today will one day become passe.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
Born in 1991 and always liked how that was a palindrome, but holy shit I'm turning 20 this year and looking at the shit the current generation of kids like makes me feel fucking old. (Just came from that Rebecca Black "Friday" music video thread, urgh)

Raz_W

Mar 18, 2011
The more I think about it, you're only as old as you feel. But for us 70s babies, I think it is weird to see the 90s kids emerge, since we are in theory old enough to be their parents. Really young parents, but parents nevertheless. I was born in 1975 so techinically I could be the parent of someone born in 1990, starting out as a 9th grader father though, haha. 10 years ago I understood how people born in the 60s thought of us 70s babies when the 80s babies started to emerge as young adults/teens, now I get how Baby Boomer people born in the 1950s must have viewed us 70s babies back in the early 1990s. I still remember comedians making jokes about us, that they thought it was scary that people born in the 70s could now vote. At the time I thought, what a bunch of old farts...hehe, now I get how they felt. It's one thing when your kid brothers/sisters or younger cousins grow into high schoolers and young adults, quite another when people that could be your kids start driving and entering college.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
As someone born in the 70s, this thread makes me feel old........no wait, that's the joint pain making me feel old....nevermind. The generation gap is a funny thing that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.