Fallout Online Threatened By Interplay Financial Woes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout Online Threatened By Interplay Financial Woes

It's deja-vu all over again as Interplay warns that it is standing on the precipice of financial apocalypse and that the future of Fallout Online may be at risk.

There was a time, believe it or not, when Interplay [http://www.interplay.com] was one of the most respected and, yes, even beloved videogame publishers in the business. The Bard's Tale games, Neuromancer, Battlechess and Another World are just a few of the many great games Interplay put out in the 80s and 90s. And let's not forget that whole Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape: Torment thing, eh? Wow! But circumstances have been unkind to the company in recent years, as the new millennium saw it take a header into a fiscal pit from which it's never been able to climb out.

Yet strangely enough, while the Reaper's scythe has hung over the company's head for the better part of a decade, it's never actually fallen. In 2007 Interplay even began to mount a comeback, financed primarily by the fallout-on-line.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/70622-Bethesda-Softworks-Purchases-Fallout-IP].

But then, as usual, the wheels came off. In 2009, Bethesda demanded that Interplay quarterly 10-Q SEC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90998-Bethesda-Wants-Fallout-MMOG-Rights-Returned] filing that it had yakked up $205,000 for the quarter and that the future looked mighty bleak if it couldn't come up with a new source of funding el pronto.

Here we are, five months later, and Interplay's situation is, if anything, worse than ever. Its 10-K filing for 2010 reveals that the company is essentially broke, with about $3000 in cash and a "working capital deficit" of over $2.8 million. "If we do not receive sufficient financing or sufficient funds from our operations we may (i) liquidate assets, (ii) seek or be forced into bankruptcy and/or (iii) continue operations, but incur material harm to our business, operations or financial condition," the filing says. "These measures could have a material adverse effect on our ability to continue as a going concern."

The filing also revealed that Interplay is currently operating without a chief financial officer, a situation "which affect our ability to mange our financial operations," and that "the unpredictability of future results may cause our stock prices to remain depressed or to decline further."

"Our business and industry is both seasonal and cyclical. If we fail to deliver our products at the right times, our sales will suffer," it continues. "Our business is highly seasonal, with the highest levels of consumer demand occurring in the fourth quarter. Our industry is also cyclical. The timing of hardware platform introduction is often tied to the year-end season and is not within our control. As new platforms are being introduced into our industry, consumers often choose to defer game software purchases until such new platforms are available, which would cause sales of our products on current platforms to decline."

All of which is unfortunate for the once-mighty Interplay but not necessarily of any great interest to gamers. What is of interest, however, is summed up in one short, succinct sentence near the top of page 5. "We may not be able to successfully develop a Fallout MMOG," it says.

"We plan to exploit the license that we hold to create a Fallout MMOG. We must satisfy various conditions to maintain our license. Although we believe that all such conditions have been met, our licensor Bethesda Softworks LLC filed a legal action attempting to terminate our license," the filing says. "If we lose the pending litigation, our license to create a Fallout-branded MMOG may be terminated and we might not be able to successfully launch the game."

It's pretty clear that the ongoing courtroom battle with Bethesda is hardly the only thing standing in the way of Interplay's Fallout Online, or even the biggest thing. The company has no credit agreement or credit facility and admits that it will probably take a beating on any new deal it does manage to put together; it may be forced to raise money through equity offerings or debt financing, which will probably result in a "substantial dilution" of value for current shareholders; it may be forced to seek bankruptcy protection. The list goes on.

When Interplay's bad-news 10-Q filing came to light last year, I said that I'd given up betting against the company's preternatural survivability years ago. Now, perhaps somewhat perversely, I'm actively rooting for it to keep kicking, or at least grotesquely twitching, not just because I want to see an Interplay-developed Fallout MMO but because I find its slow-motion existential breakdance routine to be absolutely fascinating to watch. Interplay is like the anti-Duke Nukem: [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Balls-Steel-Pc/dp/B002I0HL98/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306874553&sr=8-3] it's here, it's always been here and nobody seems able to figure out how to make it go away.

Interplay's full and somewhat depressing Form 10-K filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission can be read in full at sec.gov [http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1057232/000143774911003556/interplay_10k-123110.htm].

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
B-but Fallout! Online! D:

OT: It's pretty annoying how much it costs just to get these things off the ground even without WoW eating the Market.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Come on, is anyone still expecting this thing to be good? I mean, the majority of the good people at Interplay are long gone, they obviously don't have the money to keep this going, and I will incredibly surprised if it comes within the next few years or so.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Interplay need a new CFO, I need a summer job, this could be the start of a beautiful relationship....

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I called it months ago. Fighting Bethesda would just drain them on what little funds they had and they'll be forced to close door.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
..But..But..Even if Interplay kicks it, won't the licensing fall to Bethesda and THEY will continue with the Fallout MMO?

Either way, gimme my god-damn Fallout:MMO.
Or Fallout 4.
Or Fallout 3 Expansion.
Or Fallout cereals with sugar bombs and extra crunch.

..Or Fallout anything, really.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
No_Remainders said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Just let go Interplay...
No! Don't say that! How fucking amazing would going back to an original style Fallout game be?

GO ON INTERPLAY!
I beg to differ.We can't go back to that as much as we'd like to...All Interplay can muster is an MMO that they really don't have the funds for...

Unless...Wait continue with a Fallout Tactics franchise!YEAH and just change the name so you don't get sued again.That would make an awesome tactical squad based rpg game with real time and turn based mechanics...

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Hristo Tzonkov said:
No_Remainders said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Just let go Interplay...
No! Don't say that! How fucking amazing would going back to an original style Fallout game be?

GO ON INTERPLAY!
I beg to differ.We can't go back to that as much as we'd like to...All Interplay can muster is an MMO that they really don't have the funds for...

Unless...Wait continue with a Fallout Tactics franchise!YEAH and just change the name so you don't get sued again.That would make an awesome tactical squad based rpg game with real time and turn based mechanics...
If they mustered the money, I'd love to go back to that style of game, even if it wasn't an MMO (Actually, especially if it wasn't an MMO). I think the new-gen Fallouts have failed in comparison to Fallout, Fallout 2, and as much as I hate to say it, Tactics.

Yes, I honestly think Tactics was better than 3/New Vegas. No, this isn't me just hating it because it's popular or because it's different, I did like New Vegas because it had an element of the humour that the old games have, disliked FO3 immensely because of its dullness and horrendous gameplay. I really think the old-style ones were much more fun because of the way you actually had to think out everything.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
A Fallout MMO would be incredible...until you start spamming VATS. Then I walk into a room and my head explodes, along with everyone else's. Damn griefers...

In all seriousness as much fun as a Fallout MMO would be, Bethesda's being too bitchy over the whole thing. I can't blame them for it, with Brink and all...

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
Come on, is anyone still expecting this thing to be good? I mean, the majority of the good people at Interplay are long gone, they obviously don't have the money to keep this going, and I will incredibly surprised if it comes within the next few years or so.
No kidding. Even if they manage to pull this off it's quite clear the game will be a rather weak offering with a company that wont be able to afford to support it post-launch. MMOs are massive undertakings, and even most of the largest publishers only manage to keep one or two mediocre ones going at once.

As I recall in the agreement with Bethesda, Interplay was supposed to have guaranteed so many millions to support the Fallout MMO or the rights revert back. If they're admitting to being broke, isn't that an admissions that they've failed on their part of the agreement?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Realitycrash said:
..But..But..Even if Interplay kicks it, won't the licensing fall to Bethesda and THEY will continue with the Fallout MMO?
Not necessarily. Sure Bethesda will have the rights to the Fallout MMO, but that doesn't obligate them to actually do anything with it. Odds are that the only reason Bethesda is trying to get the MMO rights is so that they can sit on it and not worry about it's sales effecting any future Fallout sequels they might release (after-all, why buy Fallout 4 or 5 when you can just keep playing this MMO that's funding Interplay?). And as much as I would like to see a Fallout 4, I would first like to see the franchise go to a competent developer house. Bethesda is garbage. Their stank wasn't as noticeable back in the day, hence why they were able to get popular, but with each passing year the odor gets worse and worse. Fallout deserves better than Bethesda.

(( Disclaimer: Clinging to the hope that Skyrim will prove me wrong, but I'm honestly expecting that to be just as buggy as Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3. ))

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
I have mixed feelings about this.

Interplay is likely drained by Bethesda's lawsuits, which was a really dick move on Bethesda's part. And Interplay has a much, much better grasp on what 'Fallout' is than Bethesda, who pander to children who just want to see things explode. On the other hand, with such a financial crunch, it's unlikely Interplay could actually do the franchise justice, so I'm just depressed. It's unlikely we'll ever see a good Fallout MMO.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
Maybe you'll sit and sigh, wishing that I were near
Then maybe you'll ask me to come back again
And maybe I'll say "Maybe"

Lordedubs

Sep 11, 2010
I'm deeply saddened by this news. I loved interplay, I played many of their games growing up. I love fallout I own copies of all the games. I dream fallout. I am just so disheartened to see this news I don't know what to say. I want to blame Bethesda, but in reality it isn't their fault. but they will get whats coming to them in the end anyway because recently they have made terrible games and have become a one trick pony of a company.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Bravo interplay. You attempted to fight against the people who gave your MMO a second chance, and your now paying the price. Hell, you already rode Fallout into the dirt before, Bethesda saved it, and your selfishness has killed you. You could have named it wasteland, y'know, the game before fallout but no.

I have no sympathy. Interplay took on a company who had the staying power, and now they've paid the price. I don't even care about the MMO, nothing was known, it was all up in the air. Just like van bearun or whatever New Vegas was meant to be.The only people I feel Sorry to are all the people who have invested their lives at Interplay. Just another case of 3D realms.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
No_Remainders said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Just let go Interplay...

GO ON INTERPLAY!
But it won't be that good. These are the people that almost killed fallout to begin with Bethesda saved the franchise. Just leave fallout alone interplay. Just leave it alone.