A Fanboy's Guide to Fanboying

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
A Nicely sarcastic article, even a little bit true. However, I disagree with your thesis. Instead of the definition of a fanboy being based on what they DO like, I think in our community we see fanboyism more often being based around what people DO NOT like.

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
Easily one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

And if you haven't played the 1989 adventure game Space Quest III: Pirates of Pestulon, don't even think about reading this comment.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Let's keep a running count of how many people completely miss the satire.

The count is at: 1
Oooh here is my chance to be a statistic!
"I find your article offensive because it promotes fanboyism that is already rampent on this site. The fact that you promote this behavior is disgusting." -Me

I loved it, I want more satire! Next time hit the pc vs console people, hit them hard. How to start a console war, How to prove your PC is better than the newest console, ect

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
You really got me on this one, Shamus. At first, I thought this was satire, then it seemed so serious because a few of the rules did make sense for a person who wasn't a fanboy (or girl) and then you'd do an absolute ridiculous one right after that. I suppose that's a sign of a good satire writer, though. Keep it up, Shamus. You made me laugh my ass off.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
strum4h said:
You're not allowed to have an opinion on a game until you've played it.

I really agree with that. I have been proven wrong before because I prejudged a game.
Tell me about it. I, for instance, dissmissed KOTOR 1 because it didn't have Jedi knight's gameplay. After I played it, it's my 3rd favorite game ever.
I also disliked Rome Total war at first but now it's my favorite strategy game.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Oh, good show man, good show! You hit all the right notes, which made for a jolly good read! Keep up the good work!

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
It makes me wonder, how would one approach the task of writing a game review based on those guidelines, it might be an interesting social experiment. I should forward this to my old professor at university so he can torment first year student's with it.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
You lost me at "it's not about the story" OFCOURSE it's about the story - games and we have evolved so far luckily that we can, and should, demand a good story and storytelling from games. I don't care if the game has incredible gameplay mechanics like Modern Warfare 2, if the story is horrible then I have no reason to play it. Same goes for movies and books, if the story isn't there, I'm not watching/reading any further, no matter how good the technical side is.
This, absolutely. If we want this media to advance any further, we need to stop ignoring the quality of the prose, plot, and characters, under the pretence that, "it's a video game."

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
This would be hilarious if it wasn't so true.

strum4h said:

I really agree with that. I have been proven wrong before because I prejudged a game.
That was the only thing I didn't agree with in this article. There have been plenty of games that I thought would be absolute crap going into that turned out great and there were a lot of games that I thought I would like and I ended up hating it.

JaymesFogarty said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
You lost me at "it's not about the story" OFCOURSE it's about the story - games and we have evolved so far luckily that we can, and should, demand a good story and storytelling from games. I don't care if the game has incredible gameplay mechanics like Modern Warfare 2, if the story is horrible then I have no reason to play it. Same goes for movies and books, if the story isn't there, I'm not watching/reading any further, no matter how good the technical side is.
This, absolutely. If we want this media to advance any further, we need to stop ignoring the quality of the prose, plot, and characters, under the pretence that, "it's a video game."
But... It's a video game. Some games don't need a story. The story in the Curious Village is much better than the story in Resident Evil 4, but I still thing Resident Evil 4 is a better game. Good story doesn't make up for bad gameplay and a bad story doesn't ruin a game; especially if that bad story means that we get to visit new locations. Resident Evil 4 had a horrific story that was like the writer just stopped writing the story and started slamming on his keyboard but in this bad story we got to visit underground mines, swamps, castles, hospitals, ancient ruins, villages, the forest, industrial sites, and even more places. Sure, it would have been improved if the story made more sense, but it didn't ruin the game. And take Team Fortress 2 as well. There is practically no story (unless you read those comics and watch the videos but that's not my point), but that doesn't make it a bad game. I know we need better stories, but sometimes it just isn't needed.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Imbechile said:
strum4h said:

Tell me about it. I, for instance, dissmissed KOTOR 1 because it didn't have Jedi knight's gameplay. After I played it, it's my 3rd favorite game ever.
I also disliked Rome Total war at first but now it's my favorite strategy game.
You're just a KOTOR fanboy aren't you? Everyone knows that KOTOR is rubbish, having a really mediocre, in fact dull, first section on Taris.

Aside from that, great article. I'm glad I'm not a fanboy nor the antithesis of such.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Let's keep a running count of how many people completely miss the satire.

The count is at: 1
Oh, keep quiet, you who are clearly of the homosexual persuasion! Your article was complete bollocks, and that makes you less of a man. Get thee off my series of tubes, for you and your opinions are inferior and therefore beneath my further notice. Now, BEGONE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. So, now the count is up to 2?

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
So, I just read your latest Stolen Pixels. And then I read this.

I gotta say. You're a man of many talents Mr. Young. *Clap clap*

Apr 28, 2008
I expected the word Chime for 3 pages. I am sad now.
But great article nonetheless I suppose.

And its sad. Some of those may actually have been reasonable arguments in the past, but fanboys just twisted and mutated them into something else...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I personally stick to the "wait until you've played it" and "don't be such a graphics whore" arguments.

I mean, seriously, spelunky has proven to be fun as hell, but none of my crysis loving buddy's will even try it because of the graphics.