A Game You Wished Sold Well, But Didn't :(

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Joffas16 said:
YES! A thread where nobody has posted what I want to say!

Ahem, two games that I really wish sold better are Vexx and Voodoo Vince, two 3D platformers released very early on in the original Xbox's life. I love both of these games and wish they did better for what they were, Vexx being a cool Super Mario 64 style collection focused platformer and Voodoo Vince for it's cool setting and funny story; but I also wish that these games had done better for the sake of 3D platformers. Games like these never really took off during the 6th console generation and now we pretty much don't have them anymore which I think is a shame. What's worse is that nobody seems to care, I can't be the only one who wants 3D platformers to make a comeback can I?
I always meant to get round to playing those two, but never did.

It's interesting how so many 3D platformers all ended up on the Xbox, all fighting to be the console's mascot, back in a time when mascots in the traditional sense were losing their purpose.

Voodoo Vince, from the vids I've seen, looks great.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Uhm, how well did Brutal Legend sell? Hmmm. Welllll, there's no sequel, so clearly not well enough!

Brutal Legend was not a great game. Most people would be hesitant to call it good. Personally I think the game was okay, but, and this is a really big but, the world that Tim Schafer introduced us to deserves revisiting, expanding and exploring. Dodgy hybrid sandbox-rts mechanics aside, Brutal Legend was the greatest game ever released, ever, based purely upon it's world, lore and soundtrack, and yes I did just decide your opinion for you. I'd even settle for something akin to Metalocalypse rather than a sequel, just give me more Brutal Legends!

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Alpha Protocol, SiN Episodes, Vampire: Bloodlines... all of those deserved much better reception than they got.

My pick though has to be Advent Rising. An unpolished gem perhaps, but one really deserving of a sequel.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
BQE said:
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. This may seem like a bizarre choice, but the premise of people playing as the Umbrella Corps black ops team and actually being bad people really impressed me. Oh that ending was a delight too.
You're not alone, feel the same way about the game and it's one of my guilty pleasures :)

Anyways for me its hunted:demon forge.

Why? Because it succeeded in what it wanted to do: be an awesome coop action adventure with emphasis on the coop.

For the life of me i will never understand why reviewers were so bitchy about this game.
Graphics are decent, gameplay was good, the game was long and you went through various locales, there was a fair amount of hidden content and puzzles that was fun to solve with 2 players, and imo (aswell as that of my coop partner, who is female if that is relevant)the 2 protagonists were awesome and their banter was well done, especially as their relationship was a non romantic one and had a buddy cop movie vibe...Except they are both selfish mercenaries who only (very) relunctantly go after the big bad at the end if only not to see their world burn.

I mean jeez, every time you'd kill a mob of enemies the characters would compete for who kills the most, with the "winner" making a sarcastic quip and the "loser" making an equally cutting comment in return that was usually lolz worthy.

This game deserved so much more, good coop games ain't exactly widespread, let alone games that were mainly designed with coop in mind.

Unlike other games i might have mentioned like alpha protocol or beyond good or evil, hunted doesnt even get recognition for being a good game, it's just generally accepted to be crappy despite no one having played it xD

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
My pick would be GTA and Assassins Creeds love child; The Saboteur. I really, really fucking loved it. The areas were somewhat varied, tons of cars, explosions, nazis and for once I wasn't too bothered with the black and white art style. Didn't care for the races, however it wasn't game breaking. I don't know how well it sold, but people hardly ever talk about it and the studio that made the game got shut down shortly afterwards to my great disappointment.

Wanted a sequel to that game so bad. If my memory serves correct they even ended it with a hint of one. Hurts even more!

Lost Odyssey, as mentioned before, is also a game I would've wanted to see getting more attention. The kids annoyed me, but it was how a real Final Fantasy game for this-gen should've been. Sold my copy for some strange fucking reason, so I've only played it once... Like five years ago. I miss it. D:
Shouldn't have been a 360 exlusive considering that most RPG fans got a PS3.

DarkhoIlow said:
Darksiders 2 if I want to be perfectly honest is a title that pops in my mind why it hasn't sold so well.

I really enjoyed the setting and the "adult Zelda+ Prince of Persia" hybrid and I was looking forward to the third one until THQ went backrupt which kinda saddened me. I don't think the third game will be made.
Actually, Platinum Games are planning on getting the IP so a sequel is still possible(according to Wikipedia). Hopefully they'll stick to the style of visuals and combat though. I don't want a Japanesized(?!) Darksiders game.

Don't think you'll get a notification about this though since I copy pasted it in. Hate when I discover things to respond to after I've made my post. >.<

Joffas16

Jun 6, 2013
Terramax said:
Joffas16 said:
YES! A thread where nobody has posted what I want to say!

Ahem, two games that I really wish sold better are Vexx and Voodoo Vince, two 3D platformers released very early on in the original Xbox's life. I love both of these games and wish they did better for what they were, Vexx being a cool Super Mario 64 style collection focused platformer and Voodoo Vince for it's cool setting and funny story; but I also wish that these games had done better for the sake of 3D platformers. Games like these never really took off during the 6th console generation and now we pretty much don't have them anymore which I think is a shame. What's worse is that nobody seems to care, I can't be the only one who wants 3D platformers to make a comeback can I?
I always meant to get round to playing those two, but never did.

It's interesting how so many 3D platformers all ended up on the Xbox, all fighting to be the console's mascot, back in a time when mascots in the traditional sense were losing their purpose.

Voodoo Vince, from the vids I've seen, looks great.
Voodoo Vince is great, or at least I remember it being great. It's a real shame that that game isn't backwards compatible or I'd play through it again. Also, speaking of attempted Xbox console mascots, you just reminded me Blinx: The Time Sweeper. I wonder if anybody remembers that game. I remember it being fairly fun, not great, but good. It also had a sequel which was very good and was probably the pleasant surprise I've experienced in gaming. Then the series died... I've made myself sad now.

FourCartridge

Dec 27, 2012
yclatious said:
Sly Cooper TIT.

The game was flawed,it realy wasnt a verry "slycooperish" game,and heck,
it was made by a team of doubtfull quality,they fucked up the stories,caracters,designs and even the damed cutscenes,
but damit,just for the sake of it,I wish it sold out better.

Sly Cooper is one of my all time favorite game series ever,to the point of replaying Sly 2 over 20 times(not joking)
Now if they made the fifth with some acual quality and DIDNT release it for consoles that would be great.
You do know Sly Cooper is a Sony owned series... Right?

On topic: Blur. Bizzare are one of the all time greats of Arcade Racers(next to AM2) and it's a shame this little gem bombed. All the arcade racer devs have gone out by now.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
The first game that came to mind was Alan Wake. I really enjoyed American Nightmare, but it is time for Alan Wake 2. Spec Ops: The Line because the story hits you harder when you are doing the actions instead of just watching them in Apocalypse Now. They are both based off the same book if you all didn't know. The last one, and the one I'm most likely to catch flak for is Homefront. Yes it was an incomplete, mediocre game at best. However, it had a great premise and fairly tight gameplay. It deserved to have one redeeming shot with a sequel. Who knows, they might have gotten in right the second time.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Stryc9 said:
Oni from Bungie. If only it had been finished when it was released, it could have become so much more. Unfortunately it was rushed onto shelves and entire sections of the game were cut out to save time and money. That and the shooting was pretty terrible. The hand to hand combat was intended to be the focus of the game though and was completely and totally excellent.

I really wish someone could revive the property and do it right.
Oh wow, I played that game but I didn't think of that.

Yeah, agreed. Oni had a pretty stellar soundtrack and the combat was awesome as well. Had one of the darkest endings in quite some time. It certainly deserves a sequel.

My other favourite has to be STALKER. "Buuuut Dutch, that game did sell very well!" Well, not enough apparently as the developer can't publish a new one :(

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
My picks would be DmC: Devil May Cry, Darksiders 2 and Remember Me. I genuinely enjoyed first two and wished for third one to be more fun so more people would buy it.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Timesplitters didn't sell so well, so when they screwed up with HAZE, Free Radical had nothing to fall back on and, well, shrivelled up and died.

Dark Chronicle didn't sell very well in the west, so whenever I mention it to people the most I ever get is that they've heard of it, but the only Level 5 games they've played is Professor Layton.

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
Megaman Legends 2.

It's demise would lead to a journey of redemption that continues to this day. A journey which started almost 14 years ago.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I really wish bulletstorm had sold better. It was a great game but we probably will never see another one because it did not really make that much money.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Well, it's not a game I have in mind. So, sorry in advance, but I really wish the Gamecube had done a lot better. I love that console. I didn't care if it couldn't play DVDs, MP3s, have backwards compatibility or use the internet. And that's because it accomplished it's main purpose by functioning perfectly, and it has a good library to go with it. Also, the controllers are still my favourite. I played Melee for over 7 years almost everyday, sometimes for 8 hours straight, and I never had a problem with that controller at all. I really wish I could use them on the Wii U.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
It's got to be Binary Domain for me. It was like Gears of War if the game had more flow and style, and this is coming from a HUGE GoW fan. I was super hyped from the campaign and went to the multiplayer almost right after I finished it, only to find that the games servers were completely barren.

Alpha Protocol is a close runner-up. The combat was wonky and incredibly easy to break(yaypistols), but your choices mattered. Nearly every conversation influenced how people thought about you, and your actions generally had consequences, which isn't often seen in gaming.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Joffas16 said:
Voodoo Vince is great, or at least I remember it being great. It's a real shame that that game isn't backwards compatible or I'd play through it again. Also, speaking of attempted Xbox console mascots, you just reminded me Blinx: The Time Sweeper. I wonder if anybody remembers that game. I remember it being fairly fun, not great, but good. It also had a sequel which was very good and was probably the pleasant surprise I've experienced in gaming. Then the series died... I've made myself sad now.
I honestly think that Voodoo Vince was one of the best games on the original Xbox. To this day it's actually on my "top 10 great games"-list.
I was going to call Blinx: The Time Sweeper when I saw this thread, then I started reading it and saw your post. It's strange how it got overlooked like that. Sure the first one wasn't the best game ever, but it was way more up than down. And the sequel was great, sure there still was some issues with the difficulty (though I think it was fairer than the original) and other little nitpicks... But damn, I played the game until the disc wouldn't be read anymore. If there ever was an opening as the Xbox-mascot it should've been Blinx..

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Aussie502 said:

Such a shame that this game never sold as well as it could have. It was one of the best hidden games on the original Xbox.
I love you, you have no idea, I loved this game, some of the worse sound design I have ever heard and would not change a thing. XD

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Psi-Ops could have done better. Did someone from the studio finally cave and tell the internet what was going to happen?