A hypothetical question, especially for the atheists and skeptics in the audience...

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
OP, your question would be like saying to you "I know you're not Hindu, but if you were forced to say which god created everything, who would it be? And you're not allowed to say "God""

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Why fried chicken and waffles taste so good together when I don't particularly like either of them individually must be the work of witchcraft.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
Do you know of another one that'd cause the extinction of the Dinosaurs for his amusement?
I don't know. They're all pretty much colossal dicks.

They're like a collective of internet trolls that were given godlike powers. I imagine even the nicest among them might entertain his or her self by causing mass extinction.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
the December King said:
Vigormortis said:
the December King said:
Nope, I got one! the fact that Half Life 3 never happened.

Must be a curse of some kind...

Maybe a gypsy.
And Lo! He and His Noodly Goodness appeared before the Gaben, and spoketh to him, "Thou shalt not release Half-Life 3 lest ye desecrate the sanctity of the internet meme! No, thou shalt first fill thine coffers with the wealth made through the exchange of hats and Workshop content. Only once thine thirst for riches is slaked, and thine well of holiday event ideas runs dry, may thou and thine ilk release the third installment. Upon which much praise and adulation will be heaped!

Know, too, that much ire and ridicule thou will face at that time. This will be your test. Your mountain to climb. You foe to face. And, should ye overcome this hatred, thou shalt rise to become a god among men!

His Noodly Appendage has spoken!"

It was gospel all along... how could I be so blind?

I am unworthy.
It is okay, my brother. You are not so lost that you can not be saved.

Open yourself and accept His Noodliness into your heart. Recognize Gaben as the living embodiment of His Noodly Appendage and bow before the altar of the crowbar.

You will find yourself freed from your Earthly burdens and happily inundated by gaming content and hats!

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
bartholen said:
no war in Europe close to a 100 years
There was a hundred or so conflicts in those hundred years.

Three major ones off the top of my head
The Spanish civil war~500,000 dead/wounded
the Crimean War~500,000 dead/wounded
The balkan wars ~600,000 dead/wounded between the two

Let alone the random ones that were minor at best like the Cod war

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
What, OP, you're limiting us even further by asking about human history? I was going to go with the Deistic notion of the very start of the universe as the one event you could best shove the supernatural into because it's one of the big unknowns (god of the gaps, after all). Certainly a better place to put it if I'm "not allowed" to say "nothing", better than any of the supposed events from the religions humans made up, none of which are really "big enough" in my mind. But since you limit it to human history, that's out the window. Fine. Erm. I have no idea. None of them seem likely in the slightest. I guess at best it'd have to be some cosmic event that happened during human history. Perhaps observations of supernovae that may at some point have been interpreted in a religious way. Maybe the star gods are warring out there. It would be something big at least.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Indiana Jones surviving the Nuclear explosion in a Refrigerator.
It must be some Karma he earned for the selflessness of abandoning a precious relic to save his fellow man, akin to Jesus.

oZode

Nov 15, 2011
Genghis Kahn may have been the second coming of Jesus for all it's worth- he had the desire to unite the world as a single empire and did everything he could to make that reality happen.

And he had the divine vision to do it, so obviously there was some divine intervention going there.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
A refusal to choose is still a choice. Can't deny Rush, my good man.

As for an answer, there's nothing historically I can think of I'd have to say was supernaturally inspired. To do so wouldn't so much fly in the face of reason as it would open up too much room for the entire notion of "good" or "evil" supernatural forces to basically be self-defeating notions of human whimsy and fear.

To accept that any manner of supernatural being CAN intervene on behalf of it's good graces and such would mean that it clearly chooses NOT to a bajillion-jillion more times. For every "act of god(little 'g') people pray and are ever so thankful for, there are far more instances of good people suffering to happenstance and circumstance. So their all-loving supernatural figure just left them to suffer why? "It had a plan"? No good reason and perfectly out of the character we were told to believe in. Not the act of a "good" entity. The same goes for "evil" entities from any religion orspiritual theory.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
broca said:
Glongpre said:
Spontaneous combustion.

broca said:
I really can't think of a single thing from human history that fits, but if i look at all history the answer would obviously be the creation of universe.
What if the universe was not created but instead has always been?
The scientific consensus seems (afaik) to be that there was a beginning of the universe(not that i understand the topic enough to really argue about it). Or do you mean "always been" in the sense of that there was another universe before ours, and another one before that one, and so on for all infinity?
Always been, as in, it has no beginning. But I also haven't researched the topic enough to argue it. :)

I have thought about the universe as a cycle though, in regards to the big bang. Like it starts with the bang, then after it expands for a long time, it is sucked back in to create another big bang. But nothing created this cycle, so yes to your last question as well.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
canadamus_prime said:
Do you know of another one that'd cause the extinction of the Dinosaurs for his amusement?
I don't know. They're all pretty much colossal dicks.

They're like a collective of internet trolls that were given godlike powers. I imagine even the nicest among them might entertain his or her self by causing mass extinction.
Yeah, but most of the others seemed pretty disinterested in the rest of the Universe. Besides Q (John de Lancie's Q) was once punished for messing with lesser beings so I don't imagine the others doing that so much.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Schadrach said:
If you were forced to choose some person, place, thing, or event throughout all of human history as "most likely to have been the result of supernatural or divine influence (christian or otherwise)", what would it be?

No, you aren't allowed to choose "nothing, because I don't believe in that shit" as the whole point is to see what people end up picking when forced to actually choose, and that isn't an answer, it's a refusal to answer.
"Human History" is pretty limiting.

At most I am willing to believe some God like entity set off the big bang and therefore created earth and everything else in a very indirect bi-product sort of way.

Given the scale of the galaxy, thinking there is so God like entity that gives a shit about a bunch of nothing monkeys on a nothing planet in nothing galaxy is beyond egotistical.

If there is a God it is off far away doing far more wonderful/important things.

Most people just don't understand the scale of the universe, saying we are comparable to less than one atom in the ocean is an drastic understatement.

We are a speck of dust in infinity.

We are nothing.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Even though I am a Christian, if I had to pick someone other than my obvious choice, I would have to say the Medici family during the renaissance. They pretty much ended the medieval period that was full of suffering due to their support of the arts and education.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Good thing we made that religion and politics forum.
Escapist, make me a moderator and we'll enter a new dark age.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I'm an atheist and I can answer this.

The Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania could be considered evidence for the supernatural. I mean, come on! No mortal human being could POSSIBLY achieve over twenty consecutive wins at wrestling's grandest event! Makes me question sometimes if there's some dark, mysterious force controlling the fate of him and those he faces.

That and the fact that he's managed to not die or cripple himself yet. Extraordinary, I say!