A little advice about one of our players...

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Fappy said:
R3dF41c0n said:
I used to play in a group with an OP Raptoran. The DM can easily counter the Raptoran's mobility by taking the players into a close combat encounter like a labyrinth with low ceilings and close walls.

For open environments I recommend dragons that love to grapple. There are literally hundreds of things the DM can do to counter that player.
Grapple counters so many things in D20 :p
Except spellcasters. And anything with freedom of movement.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
pffh said:
Fappy said:
R3dF41c0n said:
I used to play in a group with an OP Raptoran. The DM can easily counter the Raptoran's mobility by taking the players into a close combat encounter like a labyrinth with low ceilings and close walls.

For open environments I recommend dragons that love to grapple. There are literally hundreds of things the DM can do to counter that player.
Depends on the level. At early levels casters can get fucked by grapple due to their limited spells. All of your available spells have somatic components? Lol. This is on a case-by-case basis of course. Also, if you managed to get pinned a few more issues arise D:

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Fappy said:
pffh said:
Fappy said:
R3dF41c0n said:

Depends on the level. At early levels casters can get fucked by grapple due to their limited spells. All of your available spells have somatic components? Lol. This is on a case-by-case basis of course. Also, if you managed to get pinned a few more issues arise D:
Aye that's true but still even at low levels they have to catch you and there are so many spells that will ruin their day before that happens and after level 5 (when arcane casters get level 3 spells) heart of water means grappling will never work against an arcane caster again.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
pffh said:
Fappy said:
pffh said:
Fappy said:
R3dF41c0n said:

Aye that's true but still even at low levels they have to catch you and there are so many spells that will ruin their day before that happens and after level 5 (when arcane casters get level 3 spells) heart of water means grappling will never work against an arcane caster again.
Not to mention the various methods of flying they have available shortly after 5. Very few flying creatures are ideal grapplers so they are safe in that regard. The only time they have to really worry about it is if the martial grapple-master baddy has a casting buddy with a knack for dispel :O

I love duo-boss fights where the players have to fight two high level martial and caster characters. In Pathfinder Bards have a 1st level spell that makes Barbarians forget they are fatigued after raging. Its pretty hilarious synergy if the Barbarian has caster levels! Players don't find it quite as funny.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Fappy said:
pffh said:
Fappy said:
pffh said:
Fappy said:
R3dF41c0n said:

Not to mention the various methods of flying they have available shortly after 5. Very few flying creatures are ideal grapplers so they are safe in that regard. The only time they have to really worry about it is if the martial grapple-master baddy has a casting buddy with a knack for dispel :O

I love duo-boss fights where the players have to fight two high level martial and caster characters. In Pathfinder Bards have a 1st level spell that makes Barbarians forget they are fatigued after raging. Its pretty hilarious synergy if the Barbarian has caster levels! Players don't find it quite as funny.
I prefer dragons with custom tailored spell lists (Wings of cover? Nerveskitter? Scintilating scales? Wings of flurry? Yes please) and feats and possibly loredrake. And if that's not enough what happens when you throw spellcaster (barring cheater of mystra stuff) into an antimagic field with a dragon? Well he turns into a useless, hairless monkey while the dragon is still a dragon.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Jitters Caffeine said:
our DM is a little too afraid to step on people's toes, and he thinks that rules kind of defeat the spirit of D&D.
the DM's job is to enforce the rules, those rules are the only thing that keep a game consistent and balanced for all players.

Your situation is the equivalent of playing monopoly and letting one player openly steal from the bank.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
The DM should be sending in stronger opponents for you to fight or bind him in some ways.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Jitters Caffeine said:
Those would all be GREAT rules, I'd be perfectly fine with my Paladin/Kensai combo. But our DM is really pensive about making rules. He has this idea in his head that having rules goes against the spirit of D&D.
As much of a story teller I am, I have to point out that D&D has always been about rules. If you are uncomfortable with a few additional rules, simply to limit the damage of having books on books of conflicting rules, then D&D is clearly not for you. Refusing to keep a firm control over which rules are in place will lead to munchkins every time.

Don't be too afraid to force players to enjoy the standard game.

If you do want a more story based role playing experience I recommend having your DM learn the fudge system. It is very, VERY, simple and designed to promote story telling over 'rolls.' As there are no rules to heavily exploit, players can put together a wide range of character ideas and have the flexibility to do whatever they want with them. A few number based limitations exist, to prevent the game becoming gods verses gods, but they are flexible enough to allow a great deal of characters to be created. Only a handful of rolls in the game itself, for when it comes to skills that have negative consequences for failure.

No micro-management of spell lists, no having to calculate your armor and hit ratings for every fight, you don't even have to worry about levels!

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Jitters Caffeine said:
WOAH slow down there buddy. Monks suck? have you SEEN a level 20 Monk? Their fists are considered magic weapons, they ignore hardness, they don't age, they can talk to all living creatures, they can become ethereal for one round at will, not to mention a LOAD of other things.
Keep in mind they also have more base attacks then fighters at this level thanks to the flurry of blows ability, of which three attacks are done at +15, compared to the fighters two attacks at 15 or above. Monks are no means weak, they have better defensive rolls then fighters, higher will and other saving throws and can easily hold their own in a physical fight.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Revnak said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
If a player has managed to do this, you've got a shit DM. Seriously, what system are you guys using? This would never be possible with any system I've used, and if it was, I'd fuck up the player who did it.
He's playing dnd 3 or 3.5. Thing is though, the build the guy is using is actually pretty easy to counter. From what I remember, scout/master thrower should cost a small fortune in magic items and only has all the strategical flexibility of a zombie. It's just move, throw knives, repeat. Mess with either part and the guy should be dead in the water.
Then the DM should have done that at the first sign of shenanigans and showed him that this shit is just not on.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Anyone remember the King of Smack Psychic Warrior build? Ah, that was fun. Doing 72d6 damage in a single turn (PLUS any additional poison damage) and healing half of that back... One of the few things Pathfinder failed to fix. Fortunately I only have good memories of that build, the player who used it was overpowered as all get out, but he was wise enough to give a reason for being so powerful, and purposely gave his guy crippling insecurities and phobias that prevented him from using his full potential 24/7.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Syzygy23 said:
Anyone remember the King of Smack Psychic Warrior build? Ah, that was fun. Doing 72d6 damage in a single turn (PLUS any additional poison damage) and healing half of that back... One of the few things Pathfinder failed to fix. Fortunately I only have good memories of that build, the player who used it was overpowered as all get out, but he was wise enough to give a reason for being so powerful, and purposely gave his guy crippling insecurities and phobias that prevented him from using his full potential 24/7.
I prefer the tashalatora of smack which has the same premise but 896d8 damage per round (seven 128d8 attacks per round) or maybe the Kalishtar's 1920d8 per round. But if you prefer the king of smack then 72d6 is pretty low considering we can bring him up to 96d6 per HIT or 672d6 per round.

Now does anyone want to keep saying that 30d6 per round is munchkiny? :þ

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Has anyone who's faced a similar problem with a spotlight stealing powergamer that has some friendly advice?
The problem as old as Munchkinism itself. :)
Your instinct is right.
Talk to your DM, suggest some change - it's actually very easy to "scold" powergamer. By weakening him and making him dependable on the rest of group he'll restore balance.
It's very easy to do without using some restrictions. Poison in the food, sickness, enemy with spell/weapon capable of slowly draining forces, curse - there are plenty of ways to do so. ;)
Either that, or you can just fuck with him until he stops being a spastic.

Seriously, that's what I do all the time, which is impressive considering I try not to kill anyone too easily. Wrangling players is the DM's second most important job.

Transcript of my last D&D game with one frind we'll call "Jim":
Me: Okay, so you're standing in a field of rolling hills. As you look around, you notice a tower a few hills over.
Jim: Where's the nearest town?
Me: Fifty miles.
Jim: Okay, I'm gonna start walking there.
Me: Well you don't know which way it is.
Jim: I'll just start walking north then.
Me: That's towards the tower.
Jim: South it is then!
Me: The sky darkens and it swiftly begins hailing.
Jim: I'll be fine.
Me: The rain turns into hail rapidly.
Jim: I'll weather it.
Me: Hail the size of tennis balls.
Jim: Fuck, fine I guess we'll go to the tower.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
captaincabbage said:
JesterRaiin said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
Has anyone who's faced a similar problem with a spotlight stealing powergamer that has some friendly advice?
The problem as old as Munchkinism itself. :)
Your instinct is right.
Talk to your DM, suggest some change - it's actually very easy to "scold" powergamer. By weakening him and making him dependable on the rest of group he'll restore balance.
It's very easy to do without using some restrictions. Poison in the food, sickness, enemy with spell/weapon capable of slowly draining forces, curse - there are plenty of ways to do so. ;)
Either that, or you can just fuck with him until he stops being a spastic.

Seriously, that's what I do all the time, which is impressive considering I try not to kill anyone too easily. Wrangling players is the DM's second most important job.

Transcript of my last D&D game with one frind we'll call "Jim":
Me: Okay, so you're standing in a field of rolling hills. As you look around, you notice a tower a few hills over.
Jim: Where's the nearest town?
Me: Fifty miles.
Jim: Okay, I'm gonna start walking there.
Me: Well you don't know which way it is.
Jim: I'll just start walking north then.
Me: That's towards the tower.
Jim: South it is then!
Me: The sky darkens and it swiftly begins hailing.
Jim: I'll be fine.
Me: The rain turns into hail rapidly.
Jim: I'll weather it.
Me: Hail the size of tennis balls.
Jim: Fuck, fine I guess we'll go to the tower.
yeah, I hate it when people refuse to bend at all to the story or even take advice from the DM. We had an issue with that a few campaigns ago when this chick just kind of inserted herself into our campaign and proceeded to pick fights with EVERYONE because she said "that's just what my character does"

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
pffh said:
Syzygy23 said:
I prefer the tashalatora of smack which has the same premise but 896d8 damage per round (seven 128d8 attacks per round) or maybe the Kalishtar's 1920d8 per round. But if you prefer the king of smack then 72d6 is pretty low considering we can bring him up to 96d6 per HIT or 672d6 per round.

Damn man, where'd you find that +20 Math Hammer of Exploitation?

XD I would LOVE to know how you can get your D8's into the triple digits. I want to craft an NPC with that build so I always have the ULTIMATE ANTI-MUNCHKIN device. "Yeah sure, you can do 30d6 damage. But this guy beat your initiative, and he hits you with.... 342 damage! Oh, wait, it was a natural 20, and his weapons have the critical x 3, so triple that. Right, how much HP do you have left? Maybe should ask the cleric to heal that for you?"

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Inescapable trap that targets him. Like sentient acid-tipped arrows. Or class-specific trap doors to spike pits.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Surely your DM could just produce loads of encounters in tunnels where he has to fight from close range instead of flying and throwing knives...

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Syzygy23 said:
pffh said:
Syzygy23 said:

Damn man, where'd you find that +20 Math Hammer of Exploitation?

XD I would LOVE to know how you can get your D8's into the triple digits. I want to craft an NPC with that build so I always have the ULTIMATE ANTI-MUNCHKIN device. "Yeah sure, you can do 30d6 damage. But this guy beat your initiative, and he hits you with.... 342 damage! Oh, wait, it was a natural 20, and his weapons have the critical x 3, so triple that. Right, how much HP do you have left? Maybe should ask the cleric to heal that for you?"
Well if it's silly damage that you want try the war hulking hurler (you can google the build). You see that build does more damage the heavier stuff it can lift and throw and after a certain point carrying capacity increases exponentially so it's actually quite easy to be able to throw the known universe. I've seen variations of that build that do tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of d6 per throw.

Edit: Right before someone actually tries to use these sort of builds in a game, just don't. There is a fine line between theoretical optimization (how much you can push the system) and practical optimization (how much you can optimize before the DM throws books at you).