A Message to Those Unhappy With DmC

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Zeromaeus said:
I would like to share a quick word with anyone dissatisfied with the way the upcoming Devil may Cry is turning out. Normally when people are dissatisfied with something in this market, they talk about a boycott and nothing ever really comes of it. What I propose is NOT a boycott, but a redirection instead. On the launch day of DmC, if you are of the mind that the title is not something you would like to see more of, I say we should buy the Devil May Cry HD Collection instead. It would send a clear message to Capcom what will and what will not sell and the direction they need to take. Of course, this will only work if the numbers back it up. So spread the word if you support the idea. Otherwise, thank you for your time.
I think the new DMC looks good though. So sue me. What is wrong with a new character design, as long as the action and story are, well decent. Story wise we can only expect so much from a DMC game.

The new character looks cool, and so does his female side kick. You can only know so much before actually playing the game, so complaining about what you have only seen is stupid.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Shawn MacDonald said:
manaman said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Forget about the dumbass boycott and play the game. Of course once you play it, then make a judgement call. Really think you need to give something a chance, not hate it for changing your precious little Dante who will probably turn into the one you know and love as the game progresses.
Once you play it they already have your money. It's a little late to after that to try using your money to send a message.
A friend owns the game and you play it over there, or you watch a youtube walkthrough.
But then you didn't pay for your experience. You might as well be a dirty dirty pirate. Or a hippie.

A dirty dirty hippie.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Any word over whether the new game will have more than one attack button? That single handedly destroyed my interest in DMC HD. [...] Who calls their difficulty settings Yellow and Gold with no explaination as to which is normal? At least I assume they were difficulty settings...
Gold and Yellow aren't really difficuly settings. You start the game on Normal by default, and get offered Easy mode after a few early deaths.

Yellow (orbs) are basically lives, like in DMC1 (and original DMC3), so when you die you use a yellow orb and go back to the last checkpoint (i.e. before a boss fight or the beginning of the mission, but you get to keep experience and red orbs you found). It's a shit system and you shouldn't use it ever.

Gold orbs, like in DMC2, resurrect you exactly where you died with no penalty (except for your final ranking), but you can only carry one (or maybe two, not sure). Use that one!

And as for the single attack button, the game really doesn't need any more. It's all a matter of timing and direction, especially in DMC3. A slight pause between button presses modifies your combo, and the direction you're pointing with the analog stick while locking on makes other moves (liftoff, stinger, etc.) It's a very deep system, you should really give DMC3 another chance. 1 has aged terribly and is basically only fun for people who enjoyed it eleven years ago, and 2 was always shit. But 3 is, to me, the best beat-em'up ever made.

And finally, on topic: What I've seen of the actual gameplay so far impresses me, and I will definitely get the game at launch. And I really don't mind Dante's redesign. The little snippets of personality we've seen in more recent trailers seem pretty much in line with DMC3. I don't get what haters are going on about. I'm digging this game.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Forget about the dumbass boycott and play the game. Of course once you play it, then make a judgement call. Really think you need to give something a chance, not hate it for changing your precious little Dante who will probably turn into the one you know and love as the game progresses.
Okay, that makes no sense... if you play the game, you've payed for it. The people who fund these games will only see this, not your opinion that follows.

I would recommend waiting until the reviews get out before deciding, and deciding on what to do then. Of course that would mean some folk will have to live without their collectors edition and pre-order bonuses.

OP: Personally I don't see whats wrong with DMC. If one thing is for certain, Dante has no standard character... each game depicts a different type of Dante:

DMC1: Dante is a generic badass with a rogue like sense of humour.

DMC2: Dante is a dry shite flat-as-a-pancake personality.

DMC3: Hyper Active, nails on chalkboard personality.

Never played DMC4.

Personally I can't see the beef with the current design. If I can still juggle a variety of uglies with a combination of blades and ballistics then that will be good for me.
For some reason has nobody got friends on this website. Okay so what if my friend buys it and I play it over there? Really want to see the game, how about a Youtube lets play.
Youtube let's play are a good way to tell what a game is like... though obviously a bad source if you're sensitive to spoilers.

As for friends? Well it isn't for a lack of them, but I am by far the biggest gamer in my group. Aside from having the widest palette for what games I like to play, I'm also the one most likely to play a game when it's released but even I'm reluctant to put money on something without some vote of confidence from another source. I think a few of them haven't even heard of DmC... despite it being one of the biggest Playstation titles.

Next DMC might be a rental for me, or at the least a budget title down the road. I'm weary of the shoot n' slash formula.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Kakulukia said:
The Wykydtron said:
Any word over whether the new game will have more than one attack button? That single handedly destroyed my interest in DMC HD. [...] Who calls their difficulty settings Yellow and Gold with no explaination as to which is normal? At least I assume they were difficulty settings...
Gold and Yellow aren't really difficuly settings. You start the game on Normal by default, and get offered Easy mode after a few early deaths.

Yellow (orbs) are basically lives, like in DMC1 (and original DMC3), so when you die you use a yellow orb and go back to the last checkpoint (i.e. before a boss fight or the beginning of the mission, but you get to keep experience and red orbs you found). It's a shit system and you shouldn't use it ever.

Gold orbs, like in DMC2, resurrect you exactly where you died with no penalty (except for your final ranking), but you can only carry one (or maybe two, not sure). Use that one!

And as for the single attack button, the game really doesn't need any more. It's all a matter of timing and direction, especially in DMC3. A slight pause between button presses modifies your combo, and the direction you're pointing with the analog stick while locking on makes other moves (liftoff, stinger, etc.) It's a very deep system, you should really give DMC3 another chance. 1 has aged terribly and is basically only fun for people who enjoyed it eleven years ago, and 2 was always shit. But 3 is, to me, the best beat-em'up ever made.

And finally, on topic: What I've seen of the actual gameplay so far impresses me, and I will definitely get the game at launch. And I really don't mind Dante's redesign. The little snippets of personality we've seen in more recent trailers seem pretty much in line with DMC3. I don't get what haters are going on about. I'm digging this game.

Yeah I know it's all timing based, I could never do that stuff in Bayonetta either, to make it the entire combo system is just really annoying to me personally. The dodge mechanic in Bayonetta was so freakin' cool though. Dodge mid-combo then combo reset right into his face! Owned!

And I hate Automatic Modes... "Yeah super awesome combo! That I had zero control over and therefore feel no accomplishment towards! Woooooo who thought this was a good idea!?"

Have it in the game fine, but don't make it Easy = Automatic. I just want more health kthx, don't want the DMC equilvalent of Noclip on XP

I just like the feeling of having more than one attack button, just hitting Y correct timing or no just feels... Lacking somehow.

I'll go back to DMC3 at some point I guess... Then the game will go "you suck, take this Noclip" Lol gtfo *uninstalls the game*

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Yeah I know it's all timing based, I could never do that stuff in Bayonetta either, to make it the entire combo system is just really annoying to me personally. The dodge mechanic in Bayonetta was so freakin' cool though. Dodge mid-combo then combo reset right into his face! Owned!

And I hate Automatic Modes... "Yeah super awesome combo! That I had zero control over and therefore feel no accomplishment towards! Woooooo who thought this was a good idea!?"

Have it in the game fine, but don't make it Easy = Automatic. I just want more health kthx, don't want the DMC equilvalent of Noclip on XP

I just like the feeling of having more than one attack button, just hitting Y correct timing or no just feels... Lacking somehow.

I'll go back to DMC3 at some point I guess... Then the game will go "you suck, take this Noclip" Lol gtfo *uninstalls the game*
DMC3 lets you choose automatic or not on easy mode. It pissed me off too that DMC1 forced auto on you if you played on easy.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Zeromaeus said:
I would like to share a quick word with anyone dissatisfied with the way the upcoming Devil may Cry is turning out. Normally when people are dissatisfied with something in this market, they talk about a boycott and nothing ever really comes of it. What I propose is NOT a boycott, but a redirection instead. On the launch day of DmC, if you are of the mind that the title is not something you would like to see more of, I say we should buy the Devil May Cry HD Collection instead. It would send a clear message to Capcom what will and what will not sell and the direction they need to take. Of course, this will only work if the numbers back it up. So spread the word if you support the idea. Otherwise, thank you for your time.
Or, this may shock you, TRY THE GAME BEFORE YOU CONTINUOUSLY WHINE ABOUT IT.

"OMG THE NEW DIABLO SUCKS!"

Have you ever played it?

"NO!"

Then wh...

"IM CORRECT!"

This is what I hear every single time someone rags on a game without trying it. Quite frankly, I am sick of it. I don't care if it isn't your thing, but don't go around saying the game is shit and to boycott/don't buy it if you haven't even tried the damn thing. Who knows, you could be right and they might fuck it up, or you could be wrong and the game would be just as good as the first one. The thing is, you don't know until you played the finished product.

TL;DR

Stop Bitching.
Play the game first.
Then *****.

EDIT: By "Play the Game" I don't mean buy it, you can easily rent it from a variety of sources.
i would be tempted to go this rout had Ninja Theory not been assholes :3 there for i refuse to buy or play it because i refuse to give any support to a dev team or studio so openly hostle toward the very people they want to buy the game

OT:
thats ALL MOST a good idea >.>
cept
i own the PS2 versions of those games, have for years and i have DMC4 on steam so ... >.> nothing left to do but not buy it

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Or, this may shock you, TRY THE GAME BEFORE YOU CONTINUOUSLY WHINE ABOUT IT.

"OMG THE NEW DIABLO SUCKS!"

Have you ever played it?

"NO!"

Then wh...

"IM CORRECT!"

This is what I hear every single time someone rags on a game without trying it. Quite frankly, I am sick of it. I don't care if it isn't your thing, but don't go around saying the game is shit and to boycott/don't buy it if you haven't even tried the damn thing. Who knows, you could be right and they might fuck it up, or you could be wrong and the game would be just as good as the first one. The thing is, you don't know until you played the finished product.

TL;DR

Stop Bitching.
Play the game first.
Then *****.

EDIT: By "Play the Game" I don't mean buy it, you can easily rent it from a variety of sources.
I don't know if you know this, but after you've bought the game, the developers stop listening.
That's probably why he suggested renting it first. Or, you know, you could try the demo that will inevitably be released.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
i would be tempted to go this rout had Ninja Theory not been assholes :3 there for i refuse to buy or play it because i refuse to give any support to a dev team or studio so openly hostle toward the very people they want to buy the game

OT:
cept
i own the PS2 versions of those games, have for years and i have DMC4 on steam so ... >.> nothing left to do but not buy it
I'm assuming you're referring to the interview where the head dev said he didn't care what fans thought?

If so, you might want to read it again, as it's perfectly clear that he was giving a response specifically to people who had decided to hate the game based on a pre-rendered trailer, and before they'd even seen any gameplay footage.

People who make judgements based on malice and conjecture don't deserve to have an opinion and should rightly be ignored.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
The biggest issue I am seeing with DMC is that it is a reboot of a series less than 5 games long.
The fourth installment of the game came out THIS generation, and the reboot is also coming out THIS generation.
That is unacceptable of a franchise, and is demeaning to the customer.
I agree 100%. I barely have attachment to the DMC franchise, I played the first and third games and thought they were silly but fun. But I can understand why fans would be greatly annoyed by a reboot that seems unnecessary to begin with. The franchise wasn't even dying or anything, the 4th game was the best selling DMC game to date.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
I didnt even know about the whole 30 fps thing, but like any other game I'm iffy on I'll wait to try it before I pass judgement.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rob_simple said:
Lunar Templar said:

OT:
cept
I'm assuming you're referring to the interview where the head dev said he didn't care what fans thought?

If so, you might want to read it again, as it's perfectly clear that he was giving a response specifically to people who had decided to hate the game based on a pre-rendered trailer, and before they'd even seen any gameplay footage.

People who make judgements based on malice and conjecture don't deserve to have an opinion and should rightly be ignored.
and since much of the video has remained true, and with the other, technical and story issues that have come to light since, i see no reason to gave them any kind of chance, let alone think it will be good.

I'd say second chance, but they've made nothing to garner even a glance from me.

as for the game play footage, aye, i've seen it, looks slow to me, but 30 FPS less will do that

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
rob_simple said:
Lunar Templar said:

OT:
cept

and since much of the video has remained true, and with the other, technical and story issues that have come to light since, i see no reason to gave them any kind of chance, let alone think it will be good.

I'd say second chance, but they've made nothing to garner even a glance from me.

as for the game play footage, aye, i've seen it, looks slow to me, but 30 FPS less will do that
That doesn't change the fact that, at the time of that videos release, people were making bold decisions based on nothing other than speculation, which the developer was right to completely dismiss.

Oh and I've seen the gameplay footage, too, and it looks absolutely fine. Different, perhaps, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. So this is more about personal butthurt than the game actually being rubbish which, again, we still don't know because no one has played it yet.

But yeah, go ahead and don't buy it without ever even trying it, I'm sure you and the half a dozen other people who actually stick to this will make a significant dent in Capcom's profit margins.