A side character who was better than the hero

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
wgmovies said:
Johnny Gat in saints row he is just badass
Good example. I love Johny Gat's sense of humour and his badassness. Especially how he's dressing up as himself in the new Saints Row trailer with the bank heist.

IQuarent said:
As Yahtzee has said, tails has always been better then sonic.
Tails is just as fast and he can fly. Seriously, what the hell is Sonic doing there?

In Tales of Symphonia I always thought Kratos and Zelos were better than Lloyd. Kratos is just plain badass from the first moment to the end. Zelos is the main source of humour in the game and is very similar to Kratos in battle, though he also got his morals that make him a complete character rather than just a sideshow. Now I am not saying Lloyd was a bad character, he was great. He was just outranked in a hard but fair battle against two others. Now that I review the character roster I realize why I love the game as much as I do...

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Vincent - FF7. Butters and Randy - South Park. Toad - Any Mario game even when unplayable. Toad is the man. and FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVA FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAV.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Every singly enemy my character kills (especially those endbosses) is more interesting than my protagonist killing them. Except in Kotor I, where you are you know the special *spoiler* somone!
I know, it's in my forum name.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
Johnny Gat from Saints Row
Sten from Dragon Age: Origins
Cole Train from Gears of War
Joe from Mafia 2.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Phlakes said:
I'd like to direct your attention to FFXII. Unless you count someone else as the hero anyway. Which you should.
This. Though it's unsurprising since Vaan wasn't even a planned character, he was shoehorned in and changed to be the protagonist after poor reception of Balthier being the lead in Japan.

The two big ones that come to mind are Baird > everyone else in Gears, and Varric/Merril/Isabela > Hawke.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
like most of the side characters in bioware games in general. That and the entire cast of saints row 2. (Special Props to my man Pierce who can't get any respect)

GenesisCEO

Apr 26, 2011
Dr. Zelenka, the Czech from Stargate Atlantis that Rodney kept writing off as a slightly more intelligent than everyone else moron

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Goin with the Ur example: Mercutio.

He was so much better than Romeo that he had to get killed off to make the rest of the play worth a damn.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
DustlessDragoon said:
DanielDeFig said:
Roxas in Kingdom Hearts
Agreed, Roxas was way better than Sora and if I could change the protagonist for KH it would be a tie between him and Riku who is also much better than Sora.
Riku was my fav before Roxas, now he's third (after King Mickey). One of the main reasons why I got a DS (Other than to keep buying Pokemon games), was because Roxas got a whole game just for him!(BTW, Precious story, that is entirely self-contained. Questions answered, without leaving us with more).

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I don't know, I'm finding Catwoman much more enjoyable than Batman in my playthrough of Arkham City...

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Zelos Wilder > Llyod Irving

Llyod was a bit too winiy at times, Zelos, made the most of a slightly glum but profitable situation ;)

xplay3r

Jun 4, 2009
Wang from Big Trouble in Little China. I mean I didn't necessarily like him more, but he was definitely more of a hero. Though that was kind of the point of the whole movie so that might be cheating. lol

xplay3r

Jun 4, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:
Since I'm watching it right now: In Twilight, Jasper is easily so much better as a character than Edward.
True but then again the chair Edward is sitting in is a much better character than Edward as well