A Strong Second Act Can't Save Sword Art Online II

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
I love SAO, but nothing in this review was unfair. First arc of season 1? Brilliant. Last arc of season 2? Excellent. Everything in between? Mediocre at best.

It's unfortunate, because when it's good, it's really damn good. I love the relationship between Kirito and Asuna, it's one of the most satisfying romances in anime for me. So why did they spend 80% of the season 2 budget on Sinon ass shots? There was one episode in particular when they were in that cave, and every 2nd or 3rd camera angle would be Sinon's rear end. Come on A-1, show us a bit more respect than that.

I'm still definitely an SAO fan (also 'Courage' and 'Shirushi' are my favourite OP/ED combo of the season) but it is certainly not without its problems.

Twinmill5000

Nov 12, 2009
I have a funny relationship with SAO. I hate the everloving hell out of it, and love it at the same time, begrudgingly.

I think most people who call themselves gamers of the MMO variety can agree with me in that Kirito was tolerable in the first season, because he was this big empty slate that we could project ourselves on. Even if you were bad at MMOs, even if didn't have Korean-Boxbox-2kawaii4u reflexes, most of us who watched that anime, or at least cared enough about it to hate it, probably liked playing MMOs alone.

I did. I had a guild once. Once. I watched this anime after I got my warrior up to about 40 in Tera. For me, this anime was like the story of my life, minus the harem.

The point is, the first season hit such a deep note with alot of people, and while a good number of people decided they had it with SAO's bullshit by the second arc, alot of people didn't-- not because it was good, but because they could relate to it to heavily.

This is where SAO started to fall apart. The third arc, the GGO one, was awesome. I liked Asada Shino. Her story could have been told better, but it was cute. Yeah, she broke down into a panic attack when a school bully hinted at bringing a model of a gun to show her, and yeah, it created a large dissonance between the tone of the anime, and the story being told, but considering that she's like, 15? It's forgivable. Yeah. 15 year olds overreact. I can see that.

About half of that arc should have been done differently, but the shortcomings of that arc aren't the constant reminders that SAO was a thing, or that Kirito gets all of the ladies, or the over-the-top drama about becoming stronger (which seems like a PSA for the rest of the world to take games seriously imo), it was the tone. It felt like watching a bunch of kids in business suits pretending to be secret agents.

The whole sexual molestation thing at the end felt shoehorned in, as if the series needed a villain, and the producers just threw their hands up and said 'well, yeah I know he's death gun, but we need to make our audience hate him even more. We're going for a serious tone, so we'll just go as over the top with the most cartoony angle imaginable'. The final result was the final (real) episode looking like a joke, a really inappropriate joke.

The third arc was basically the gang getting together getting a sword while the writer wanked off about how great his series and what it has accomplished was. It felt more like fanfic material that a 15 year old would produce than something that needed to be made.

The final arc was alright. The pacing annoyed me, as, after a week of waiting, some episodes just felt empty, while others had way too much covered, because the writers finally realized that they had 2 episodes left and they still haven't revealed the fact that Yuuki is actually... I'm not going to spoil it.

More wank about this special full dive engine that destroys the user's brain. Of course, Kirito knows about it. He knew all along, because he's Kirito. At the end of the series, I wanted to smash out some fanfiction on my keyboard more than ever, but realized I have standards. It annoyed me how the best character in the entire series, aside from a few wank-heavy moments, didn't get the spotlight she deserved. Even when she did, she was overshadowed, constantly, by the other two, more important (to the author) leads.

At the end, it felt alot less like the Zekken arc, and more about the How-Asuna-And-Kirito,-But-Mainly-Kirito-Conquered-Another-Cute-Girl arc.

I guess I should be glad, though. Asuna at least got the screentime she deserved. The character who was arguably more important than Kirito to the story, after four arcs, finally got a little bit of recognition. Good job guys. You know how to treat your characters well.

Overall, SAO is wank. Having said that, I must add that SAO is wank that most people (like me, albeit angrily) tolerate, because as far as animes that take places in MuMORPuGers go, nothing comes close as far as how easy it is (was) to relate to.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
WouldYouKindly said:
Ok, disregarding anything about the show that I've never watched and have no plans to watch, I wish the shows I liked could afford half of the animating budget that obviously went into this one.
I can firmly state that I obsessively consumed the first half season. I've never watched a show with such intensity. My thirty year old self became Kirito And my wife asuna. I believe the show was meant to do this in a way, the same as people become the character in fifty shades or twilight in their own minds. Empty vessels. It was weird and I enjoyed it wayyyy too much. despite being off my normal subject matter.

That show ended at the half season. The writers blew it and I won't miss season 2 from the sounds of it. You don't have to watch the show, but the first half season is good. Well, addictive in an unhealthy way.

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
VanQ said:
Those "remember this" moments never happened in season 1. They were part of season 2 because we never actually saw them.

It's always disappointing to read a review by someone that clearly doesn't give a shit.
Sorry you feel that way, but you are mistaken.

You're probably thinking of the "flashback" scenes during the beginning of Gun Gale when Kirito is looking back on the Laughing Coffin guild -- and it's true that those scenes didn't happen in the first season, so it's new information. However, later on there are tons of pointless flashbacks of Kirito and Asuna talking about how they met, talking about their house, etc. Those scenes feel like short moments of filler.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Somewhat amused by all the jumping on the bandwagon for bashing SAO these days as evidenced by this thread. Its a pretty classic case of the back and forth of culture. Something becomes popular, lots of people like it, then there's a backlash of 'this thing sucks' which a bunch of people jump on to loudly claim its the worst thing ever and that X, Y or Z is superior, but you've probably never heard of it *puts on hipster glasses*. Then something new and popular comes along and we repeat the cycle. X-D

Anyway, the three arcs thing made the season a little more awkward because a couple were over in just a few episodes. And I still think the best part of the story was the original Aincrad arc.

That being said GGO was interesting for mixing things up a bit and being even more completely over the top than normal, bringing back Laughing Coffin was nice but it felt like it finished a little weakly. The second arc was okay I guess but didn't seem to go anywhere. The final arc was really nice, but then again Asuna has always been the best character of the series anyway so that probably had some impact.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I liked SAO II more than SAO 1 (go ahead sue me!).

I found the phantom bullet arc very interesting (GGO)..wasn't expecting them going into a PvP game..the whole battle royale was very enjoyable to watch.

Excaliber felt like filler but it wasn't very long (3eps) and Mother Rosario was the best arc in season 2.

I guess it's a trend to hate on popular shows nowadays (SAO, Attack on Titan etc). You people haven't watched actual bad anime if you hate and complain about these.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Worgen said:
I don't get why people like this series, I didn't enjoy it much when I saw it, it totaly wasted its mmo setting. Log horizon does everything better.

If you want to watch a good teardown of this series then check this out.

That was a fairly good listen.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
I didn't know Escapist started doing anime reviews again. I approve of this Carly (girl?) person's contribution. Fair, if harsh, criticisms but not too verbose or pretentious.

SAO2 was a sequel exclusively for fans of SAO1. As I was not the target audience I could only "hate watch" it and despair with every unnecessary rehash or telegraphed reveal. The fight animations were the only respite from the monotonous banality of the continuous "Kirito is ever-so-awesome" praise chorus.

I would agree that the most interesting scenes are the ones without the OP hero in them, but even the Mother Rosario arc fell flat for me. I recognized the emotional cocktail they were concocting, and it was almost effective, but it was too little too late. Ultimately the arc failed to resonate because of the same factor the show suffered from as a whole: the characters were not developed to the point where they were relatable or sympathetic enough. When the inevitable "this is a sad scene; you should feel sad" is foisted upon the audience all I could muster was "yep, that would have been tragic if it involved real characters...".

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Jesse Billingsley said:
Worgen said:
I don't get why people like this series, I didn't enjoy it much when I saw it, it totaly wasted its mmo setting. Log horizon does everything better.

Hes also got some good vids on sao2

part 1

part 2 (on a different channel since he got a copy-write strike)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2b31ci_your-anime-sucks-sword-art-online-ii-part-2_fun

part 3

Triality

May 9, 2011
Kirito is a self-insert-self-aggrandizing-power-fantasy-emo-so-deep-grimm-dark avatar of the author himself. He's admitted as much in interviews that he has nothing approaching a social life and hovers over online games like its the number one need in the social heirarchy of needs. The man barely understands how human relationships work and simply used all the media he's consumed and transformed it into an idealization of the hero's journey that every amateur that wants to tell a story latches on to the first time they begin typing.

This sounds harsher than it really is. The most unrealistic stories seem to have the most diametrically ironic success. It's almost psychopathically backwards, but look at the most successful 3 stories of the millenial generation: Harry Potter, Twilight, and Naruto. Each has serious character and narrative flaws, but people swarm to them like flies to a skinned pineapple.

Weird, right?

Mumbly

Dec 26, 2014
Only thing I'll say about Log horizon is that I got put off because the guy kept doing that glasses thing only Gendo Ikari should ever be allowed to do.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Draconalis said:
You're looking at it wrong...

Log Horizon's intro is so perfect, it didn't need to change.

I remember 'squee'ing when I watched the first episode of season 2 and found out they kept the same intro song.
No......I'm fairly certain it didn't sound that great to me......but we're talking about preferences in music and lyrics, so......if you liked it, hey, good on ya for liking what you like ^^

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Worgen said:
Jesse Billingsley said:
Worgen said:

Hes also got some good vids on sao2

part 1

part 2 (on a different channel since he got a copy-write strike)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2b31ci_your-anime-sucks-sword-art-online-ii-part-2_fun

part 3
As someone who actually enjoyed some of SAO, I watched all of these videos, and they were actually really excellent in their production, and I found myself agreeing with pretty much all of the points made in them. Good find, sir.

I might have to check out Log Horizon because I found myself really enjoying the premise of the first Arc of SAO, but it never really had enough episodes to really have a satisfying story. Hell, they seem to be jumping around MMOs a lot more and a lot faster than anyone actually would, and it sucks that they seem to have settled on the one MMO that I care nothing for.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
LordTerminal said:
I'm under the impression that you SAO haters can't be pleased by anything. SAOII fixed almost everything you were complaining about the first season and you still hate it?

Yeah I can't take you people seriously anymore. You wanna hate SAO, go ahead. But do not hype up it's flaws to be worse than they really are. All I heard was how insipid the show was then I watch the Toonami airings and end up more mixed towards it if anything. I consider that false advertising.

I guess it's a trend to hate on popular shows nowadays (SAO, Attack on Titan etc). You people haven't watched actual bad anime if you hate and complain about these.
Yeah thing is that's exactly my viewpoint on these haters. Especially the ones saying it was the worst thing Toonami aired. Uh, were you people completely ignoring the IGPX reruns and Tenchi Muyo GXP? Or were you completely asleep by then?
Oh jeez, you're completely serious, aren't you? Oh man, where do I even begin...

No, it isn't a case of "no you haven't seen bad anime" SAO is THE quintessential bad anime and it's akin to the "painting of fireworks" simile that Yahtzee depicted in one of his reviews.

This isn't to say that it's the worst anime out there, but when you take into account the terrible plotting, paper-thin characterization, depiction of characters reliant on overused anime cliches, a singular Gary Stu protagonist of which any and all plot related events do not unravel without his involvement, said Gary Stu having no defining traits or qualities beyond being a convenient guaranteed problem solver for whatever conflicts arise in the story, possibly one of the worst romantic relationships since Twilight, no dynamic or chemistry between characters in general due to paper-thin characterization, lack of wit or self-awareness, and not to mention the utterly fucking obnoxious and tactless fanservice (in which even the teenage ass of a grieving widow is shoved into the face of the viewer)...

SAO in general is a story with no consequence. No matter what Kirito does, by the very end of each arc anyone who matters or is a codified "good-guy" will have unwavering loyalty and admiration for him, his perfect relationship with his domesticated house pet Asuna remains perfect, and his virtual MMO adventures can continue forevermore. SAO's story is more like a series of unfortunate events than an ongoing narrative. You could basically rearrange the order of the arcs and the only difference in endings would be the order of acquisition in terms of the newest waifu he collects at the end of each arc.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Huh, took a while but I've finally seen it. People pretty much claiming Sword Art Online is objectively bad. To like it is to have bad taste in anime and low standards. Though granted this thread, has shown me a great way to finger out anime snobs! Just say SAO is good and wait for the responses.

Either way, I was enjoying the fuck out of the show and I'm still at episode ten. Guess the Mother Rosario arc will pretty much be the second coming of Christ in my eyes.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Have to say, I didn't watch SAO, because I'm tuned to tell a crappy series from a good one.

I was first turned off by this same 'trapped in the MMO game' premise, that some have been beating to death since Dot Hack many years ago. Then I saw the characters and the harem cheese and I wasn't going any further. If its a good show, it shouldn't need to pander to tell its tale. Someone greenlit this mess for season 2, so go figure.

Log Horizon I may check out, as its certainly better while along the same lines. Now I have both Log Horizon and Tower of Druaga to get through. Lucky me.

So, word to you people. Try to weigh up the anime offerings each season (first by reading the synopsis, then watch the first four episodes to get a feel for a show, then decide like or not), as much of it is still lame and not worth your time. Drop SAO and watch Log Horizon instead, anyway.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
My feelings towards SAO are best described as "I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed". The series had such a wonderful premise that one could overlook the logically impossible parts in the name of a good story. The problem is that good story never materialized. When the series first started, I thought that the first few episodes would be the interesting but overall lower quality episodes most shows have where it's only around episode 6 where it starts to get really good, but then we met the loli before it even reached episode 6, and I called it then the show was going to go downhill and never recover. Even the first arc of season 1, held up by fans as the really good part, isn't that particularly good.

The biggest issue I see is that the studio chose to stay honest to the source material. Where in some cases that's to be applauded, this was a case where that was a big mistake, mainly due to the source material not being particularly good to begin with. The studio should have just taken the premise and characters and made their own story. It would have been pretty hard for a competent writer to make one that was worst. Honestly, how hard is it to have "trapped in an MMO" as a premise? I'm not a big MMO player, but I've spent my fair share of time playing, and just the banter within guilds would have been more interesting then the show ended up. More entertaining too.

The problem the series had was the studio refusing to make a good story out of a bad source material (preempting anyone stating the rushed job that is the light novels, I remind you of 16.5). The premise could have had SAO, only the part in SAO that is, turned into an interesting, well thought out longrunner. Using anime tropes it not only wouldn't be hard to turn the SAO arc alone into a 100 episode or more masterpiece, the fact it got only a dozen episodes is half the reason it falls apart.

The only good thing that has come as a result of SAO are SAOAbridged, and the fact that there has been a lot of word-of-mouth advertising for Log Horizon due to people wanting to see the premise done right.

Mumbly

Dec 26, 2014
Zontar said:
The problem the series had was the studio refusing to make a good story out of a bad source material (preempting anyone stating the rushed job that is the light novels, I remind you of 16.5).
Lucky THAT wasn't in the anime. Honestly, that's one of the worst cases of "IKEA erotica" I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

So yeah, if you go reading, just skip over that part...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Mumbly said:
Zontar said:
The problem the series had was the studio refusing to make a good story out of a bad source material (preempting anyone stating the rushed job that is the light novels, I remind you of 16.5).
Lucky THAT wasn't in the anime. Honestly, that's one of the worst cases of "IKEA erotica" I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

So yeah, if you go reading, just skip over that part...
"Two years worth of s**** made a glopping noise as it flowed endlessly into asuna".

You know, I can appreciate a good sex scene, especially if it's one which makes sense from a narrative perspective (god knows fiction often drags things out much longer then it needs too, especially in anime where many characters won't date until long after their relationship develops to the point where normal people are usually already celebrating anniversaries). But dear lord was that a waste of time, both on the part of the writer and of the readers.