Actions in Games That Made You Physically Uncomfortable.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Skyrim
I don't want to kill Parthuunax, he's a pretty chill dude! Sure, he enslaved people a really long time ago, he just helped me fucking kill Alduin!

I don;t thing I'll ever go through with it

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
God damn it, I've had so many games spoiled for me already in the first page..

Guys, learn to mention the NAME OF THE GAME before spoiling it! I was clearly interested in seeing what other people were heartbroken about in games but nobody cared to mention WHAT they were spoiling before spoiling it. So I clicked a bunch of unmarked spoiler tags to be met with "the part where you kill X and brutally Y.... in game Z, BTW."

Yeah, thanks a lot for that. >_> I would think it's common sense, but it's proven more uncommon than it should have been.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
Ordering Logan's execution in Fable 3.

Sure he was a prick, but he was doing it for a really valid reason so killing him just always felt wrong. Especially since killing him is the evil option and if you're going with the evil options you end up doing the same shit he did, so it just doesn't make any sense either.

Actually come to think of it, most of the 'evil' choices during that part of Fable 3 made me feel uncomfortable, either because you stab your allies in the back or because you reduce Albion to a festering shithole.
Yeah, I executed him, THEN thought about it, and felt really quite bad. Fuck you Theresa!

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
Heavy Rain, all of it, just, I miss my finger.
There's also a torture scene in Black Ops that really gets me
you break glass, put it in a guy's mouth, and proceed to punch him, fun times.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
RamirezDoEverything said:
Skyrim
I don't want to kill Parthuunax, he's a pretty chill dude! Sure, he enslaved people a really long time ago, he just helped me fucking kill Alduin!

I'm with you, after I beat the bad dragon --forget his name now-- and guys I'm with tell me

I have to kill the friendly dragon I was like, 'fuck no; he's legit.'

It was yet another moment in Skyrim where I felt, despite being the legendary Dragonborn, my input wasn't all that valued and/or necessary.

AngryMongoose said:
ReservoirAngel said:

Sure he was a prick, but he was doing it for a really valid reason so killing him just always felt wrong. Especially since killing him is the evil option and if you're going with the evil options you end up doing the same shit he did, so it just doesn't make any sense either.

Actually come to think of it, most of the 'evil' choices during that part of Fable 3 made me feel uncomfortable, either because you stab your allies in the back or because you reduce Albion to a festering shithole.
Yeah, I executed him, THEN thought about it, and felt really quite bad. Fuck you Theresa!
I was much more annoyed at the very start of the game where I'm given the choice between

Ordering the execution of my girlfriend or several villagers.

It was like, 'I'm a prince I don't need to put up with this bullshit.' And they seemed to totally forget actions like this halfway through the game

When it turns out your brother was just being a giant dicksplash to prepare the country for the dark times. How exactly does that justify him forcing you to either kill the man/woman you love or a group of innocent people?

HiC

Mar 31, 2011
in the elven origin where you have to kill Tamlen, and knowing it's your fault he ended up a darkspawn, that kept me up the whole night

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
rob_simple said:
RamirezDoEverything said:
Skyrim

I'm with you, after I beat the bad dragon --forget his name now-- and guys I'm with tell me

I have to kill the friendly dragon I was like, 'fuck no; he's legit.'

It was yet another moment in Skyrim where I felt, despite being the legendary Dragonborn, my input wasn't all that valued and/or necessary.

AngryMongoose said:
ReservoirAngel said:

I was much more annoyed at the very start of the game where I'm given the choice between

It was like, 'I'm a prince I don't need to put up with this bullshit.' And they seemed to totally forget actions like this halfway through the game

When it turns out your brother was just being a giant dicksplash to prepare the country for the dark times. How exactly does that justify him forcing you to either kill the man/woman you love or a group of innocent people?
Forcing you into line for fear of losing someone else important, of course. To gain the complacency of the only other royal blood would quell thoughts of a rebellious nature in the citizenry. That of course is ignoring the fact that you totally can and will fight against him for such shenanigans, but that's the reasoning.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Radoh said:
rob_simple said:
AngryMongoose said:
ReservoirAngel said:

Forcing you into line for fear of losing someone else important, of course. To gain the complacency of the only other royal blood would quell thoughts of a rebellious nature in the citizenry. That of course is ignoring the fact that you totally can and will fight against him for such shenanigans, but that's the reasoning.
I agree with you, but this was just another example of the moral choice system falling apart for me.

If my brother forced me to kill the woman I loved, I don't care if he's the king I'd vault up the stairs to his throne and put a sword through his damn throat, even if it meant my own execution.

But instead you have the choice between the selfless act or the selfish; it's not freedom of choice it's 'bad and slightly worse'.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
rob_simple said:
Radoh said:
I agree with you, but this was just another example of the moral choice system falling apart for me.

If my brother forced me to kill the woman I loved, I don't care if he's the king I'd vault up the stairs to his throne and put a sword through his damn throat, even if it meant my own execution.

But instead you have the choice between the selfless act or the selfish; it's not freedom of choice it's 'bad and slightly worse'.
Yeah, that whole first choice was a Peter Molyneaux experiment.
Basically he asked "What if we had a really important choice at the beginning of the game?" Too bad it didn't really work that way since it was over a character we know nothing about and therefore have no investment in their well-being, not to mention a complete lack of 'importance', but still.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
No spoilers here but a lot of ingame lore from Skyrim. If you want to figure out the entire backstory and political situation yourself, you might want to skip this post.

Trying to choose a side in Skyrim's civil war is hard, bth sides are just such assholes. The Imperials want to stop freedom of worship in Skyrim not because of any real threat but because the elves don't really like it and the actual govornment system is pretty much full of their puppets. On the other side while the Stormcloaks are in theory fighting for freedom, Ulfric's method of doing so is to murder the high king in cold blood, technically during a legal challenge but still in cold blood (I know that sounds like a spoiler but it really isn't, it's already happened by the time the game beings) then escape the city via a bribed guard (or maybe otherwise convinced, I'm not 100% sure about the guard) and sit on his throne while you kill the Imperials. He's a coward, the Imperials are fachist assholes and my characters want no part of it.

The annoying thing is, I actually agree with Ulfric's agenda, if not his methods. If he'd stop being such a coward, hiding while the fighting happens and terrifying civilians, if he'd actually strike at the standing military and loyalist Imperial enterprises and companies instead of anyone who isn't a dedicated Stormcloak, I'd happily fall in behind his little rebalion.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Killing Zelos. Zelos is, and always will be, one of my favorite characters in a video game. :{

Leaving Asch to die so Luke can escape, after the final battle between the two. Mostly because to me, Asch>Luke.

Emeraude's disposition toward Lambda while he was still a child. Lambda's smile made me want to hug him, not fight him. Also, while it doesn't really make me uncomfortable, it annoys the hell out of me that the cover art features Lineage & Legacies content. More specifically, Asbel's eyes. It basically spoiled what was going to happen at the end of the game, when I saw Emeraude merge with Lambda.

Attacking and killing the sequestered prisoner in the beginning of the game. I don't know if you learn later why Murphy wanted him dead, but not knowing what he did, I felt a little uncomfortable attacking a half naked fat dude in the shower.

Killing the Maiden in the Black at the end of the game and stomping on her head as you walk over her, for the evil ending. She was nothing but nice to you throughout the entire game, and she's the one that granted you the power you obtained through the game.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Killing the little sisters in Bioshock 2. I think the "bad" ending is a lot better then the good one, but it was so damn hard to bring myself to do it.

Zhukov said:
Also, Dead Space 2. Eyeball.
This. It doesn't help that I have a fear of needles.
Zombies being decapitated, limbs flying everywhere, blood all over the place? Peachy!
Needles? YOUCH ikes that looks painful!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
God Of War 3. Now the first two games, I could sort of get behind Kratos. In the first game, he is a tragic hero, and his intentions are noble enough. In the second game, he lost that feature after Athena screwed him over, so he was rightfully pissed off. There, I didn't have to empathize with him, because he was being a murderous prick driven by revenge.

However, in God of War 3, when bits and pieces of his humanity seep back in thanks to Pandora, I got uncomfortable. There was still something human about him, but his actions just became more and more barbaric, that I almost became ill watching him slaughter the Pantheon. Heracles' death in particular was sheer excess that I felt was way out of line even for someone past redemption.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Chunga the Great said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Lots of morality discussion in here, but I can say with authority that the one thing that makes me feel genuinely PHYSICALLY uncomfortable in games is "heights". I'm acrophobic, so if your game has me clinging to a little ledge or performing acrobatics at some absurd height my palms become instantly sweaty and my testicles try to climb back up inside my body.

I actually had to stop playing Mirror's Edge pretty early on, I just couldn't take it.

Here's a good test to see if you, too, are afraid of heights!

Holy shit, that was more terrifying than anything I've ever seen. Who is crazy enough to do that? All it would take is one strong gust of wind and suddenly you're falling to your death!

OT: The Dark Brotherhood's torture chamber in Skyrim. 'nuff said
Yeah, I agree. I can't believe I payed for that... the first time I walked into the room, I put them out of their misery. I still felt uncomfortable, even if they're apparently criminals and it if was well deserved...

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
The death of Andrew Ryan in BioShock definitely ranks up there in super uncomfortable moments, but my big one was when Dr. Steinmann killed that lady right at the part when you got to him and has officially gone insane. That was.....*shudders*

Ending of RDR also gets an honorable mention.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
imahobbit4062 said:
Eddie the head said:
Well you might want to say spoilers in the title. But the game I want to say it about a year old so if you haven't played it yet you are not going to. Killing Zeke at the end of Infamous 2 evil ending was Uncomfortable to say the least.
Reported for spoiling. Regardless of age you don't fucking spoil a game like that, it just makes you look like a prick.

OT: Strogg conversion in Quake 4.
Says age does not matter and you should always use spoiler tags.....doesn't use spoiler tag in his own post.

Seriously dude, just calm down. No need to go around making others feel like crap.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Scabadus said:
No spoilers here but a lot of ingame lore from Skyrim. If you want to figure out the entire backstory and political situation yourself, you might want to skip this post.

Trying to choose a side in Skyrim's civil war is hard, bth sides are just such assholes. The Imperials want to stop freedom of worship in Skyrim not because of any real threat but because the elves don't really like it and the actual govornment system is pretty much full of their puppets. On the other side while the Stormcloaks are in theory fighting for freedom, Ulfric's method of doing so is to murder the high king in cold blood, technically during a legal challenge but still in cold blood (I know that sounds like a spoiler but it really isn't, it's already happened by the time the game beings) then escape the city via a bribed guard (or maybe otherwise convinced, I'm not 100% sure about the guard) and sit on his throne while you kill the Imperials. He's a coward, the Imperials are fachist assholes and my characters want no part of it.

The annoying thing is, I actually agree with Ulfric's agenda, if not his methods. If he'd stop being such a coward, hiding while the fighting happens and terrifying civilians, if he'd actually strike at the standing military and loyalist Imperial enterprises and companies instead of anyone who isn't a dedicated Stormcloak, I'd happily fall in behind his little rebalion.
I felt exactly the same

when I sided with the Stormcloaks. I thought they were in the right but the way Ulfric went about making his voice heard through violence rather than discussion just made him seem more like a barbarian than a downtrodden native of the land. Also, I didn't feel comfortable with all the bigotry they spouted about elves and anyone else who wasn't a true Nord or whatever.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Sack of Cheese said:
I accidentally killed Quelaag's sister in Dark souls.

I thought she was an illusive wall so I gave her two pokes with my halberd. I ended up googling it up because I thought something was off (I mean, when does wall give humanity?). She turned out to be such a sweet girl too :'(

It was eating me up for that whole playthrough.
If you wear the Old Witch's Ring and speak with her, she's believe you are actually Quelaag. I watched a video of somebody killing her while wearing it. I started to tear up, it was abominable.

"Quelaag?...But,...why?"