Activision Co-Founder Says Anti-Activision Sentiment is "A Little Bit Strong"

Feb 13, 2008
loremazd said:
Not, as you seem to take it as "I know -everyone- who works at Activision and everything's made by 12 guys in a closet."
That's what PR officers are for.

If he knows enough of them, then he's painting a bad picture.
If he only knows a few, he's painting a distorted picture.

If he's honestly not had any interaction with Activision since 84, how could he even know what they're like? They could be (and it has been accused) running their programmers like slaves for a pittance.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Let's list what activation has killed
1.crash bandicoot
2.spyro the dragon
3.guitar hero (and pretty much all rhythm based music games)
4.Tony hawk
5.True Crime
6.Infinity ward
7.Bizzar Creations

Soon to be on this list in my personal opinion is call of duty because black ops because it was on more systems (MW2 wasn't on the wii and the ds version wasn't called MW2, while black ops is on the wii and ds)

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Gamers may not like how Bobby Kotick rolls but his shareholders do and at the end of the day, that's what counts.
THat doesn't change the fact that he's clueless about the opinions of video gamers and is only interested in exploiting everything and ANYTHING to make profit. He has no proper knowledge on how to run a business that treats its customers right.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
This may be a bit weird, but whenever I see Bobby Kotick's face one thing comes to mind:

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
You murdered Spyro and any chance he had at getting a decent comeback. He was my fucking childhood and you turned him into a kindergarden version of Yu-Gi-Oh, for no reason other than printing money. I don't give two fucks about your excuses.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
What else can I say that hasn't been said before?

"Boo hoo, it's hard running a multi-million, possibly biliion, dollar company!"

Bullshit. Fine, Activision is a business, just like any other business. They do raw business well, but they don't do smart business well. The squeeze, the suck out every last drop they can from their franchises, their studios, and then spit them back out.

I am already in a personal boycott with Activision. I will not purchase any game developed or published by them because I don't want to give them my money. Their work ethics, of which they have been accused of not paying their employees fairly, running studios and their own game franchises to the ground, suing everyone around them, are questionable at best and disgusting at worst.

Until they (specifically Kotick) clean up their act, I am not giving them a single cent.

While I have never met either Miller or Kotick, and I don't wish him any real harm, I say piss off Miller. Get better PR.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..Everything that could be said to this has already been said, apparently.

Needless to say, however, I've been boycotting Activision for years now. As long as Kotick continues on his "NEED MOAR MONIES! FUCK QUALITY!" routine, I'm not paying him a single cent. I've put most of my gaming faith into the lesser evil of the industry, EA. At least they have fucking Bioware.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Oh boo hoo, Activision is sad. They can go fuck them selves.
They admitted milking their fan base for seven (I counted Metallica, Aerosmith, and VanHalen) shitty guitar hero sequels and then pulling the plug after they realized that Harmonix was still doing it better then they were. Then they try to call the entire rhythm game genera a passing fad, just because they failed at it.

While they try to play up their chief cash cow the Call of Duty series that hasn't had an original thought involved in it's design since fucking 1941, and have only gotten shorter and more repetitive as the years go on.

Fuck off Activision go under already.

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
Honestly, if anybody here owned stock in Activision/Blizzard, you'd all be bowing to Kotick and saying what a great dude he is. Yeah Activision does make some decisions that we don't like, and guess what. That's life. The top brass at Activison (despite what you may all think) doesn't like the fact that many people are displeased with their actions. They want to keep us happy because we provide a lot of revenue for them. But at the same time, they have to follow the wishes of their shareholders, and what shareholders want may be very different from what we want. Its impossible to keep everyone happy and they're more likely to go with what shareholders want because they can kick out the top brass at a shareholder's meeting, and we can't.

We can try and force their hands by not purchasing their products and hurting revenues and hope that the shareholders demand new leadership or business strategy. But that is quite frankly unlikely to happen as shareholders won't change leadership lightly because that can cause far more problems than it solves, and business strategies can take years to create.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
He kinda lost me at the part where he says that it's a marketing risk, if you're a company that can afford to buy Blizzard, one of the most well known game developing companies these days then you are NOT at risk of bankruptcy. Not to mention that dozens of indie developers put out decent games without spending millions.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Reminds me of a person who pleads with an officer: "Please, don't blame me for speeding. I needed to get --somewhere quickly--".

Praise and condemnation don't work that. There's always -something- motivating whatever behavior. Trying to justify douchebaggery is always easy to do, but it's still douchebaggery.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
THEJORRRG said:
There's no smoke without fire, Activision.
Perfect way to put this, good job.

Translation: We only complain when there is problems.

But I seriously hate Activison, they milked Guitar Hero to death and it looks like Call of Duty is next... after that what will they have? Blizzard. So basically Activison is going to be that one bully in class who everyone hates but his parents have the money to make the teachers look the other way.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
If you don't put out games that you think will do well... how the HELL did Kane and Lynch 2 get made?

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Maybe if they didn't annualise everything that made a decent buck. You aren't drilling for oil.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
shadowform said:
If you don't put out games that you think will do well... how the HELL did Kane and Lynch 2 get made?
This, but then again Activision think they're Valve, where they release games that the single player is roughly 4 hours long and then assume it's a massive success, the differences are big though, because they don't have anywhere NEAR the replayability of say, Portal or Left 4 Dead or the community support for mods not to mention
Autofaux said:
they don't annualise everything that made a decent buck. You aren't drilling for oil.
plus people actually LIKE Valve for doing what they do and not just killing franchises for a quick buck and stagnating entire genres in the process, also
zombie711 said:
Let's list what activation has killed
1.crash bandicoot
2.spyro the dragon
3.guitar hero (and pretty much all rhythm based music games)
4.Tony hawk
5.True Crime
6.Infinity ward
7.Bizzare Creations

Soon to be on this list in my personal opinion is call of duty because black ops because it was on more systems (MW2 wasn't on the wii and the ds version wasn't called MW2, while black ops is on the wii and ds)
Also what happened at Infinity Ward was tragic and the fact that because of it CoD is relying entirely on hype and advertising to keep itself alive, after that 'fad' is over according to some random Activision PR spokesperson of the future and from the looks of things the all they'll be able to leech off of is Blizzard and whatever Bungie (sadly with be forced to)come up with.... oh and when it becomes hugely popular and breaks the $1 billion barrier Activision will most likely pull an Infinity Ward on their asses and drop them by the wayside, AS USUAL and then once Blizzard can buy back it's freedom Activision will break out the lawyers and sue all around them, officially becoming the Westbro Baptist Church of videogaming, or more likely just get closed by Vivendi, It's father company, whatever comes 1st.................................preferably the former

yukshee

Oct 2, 2009
Apparently, the poverty stricken Miller gave this interview out of the window of his gold-plated hover-Ferrari while sitting in a bucket seat made out of t*ts, smoking Havannah cigars from Mars smooth rolled by Angelina Jolie's thighs.

TRUE XD