Activision: EA' Mudslinging Is No New Thing For a "Challenger Brand"

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Activision are only being the good guys for now, when that douche bag Kotick takes the stage there will be blood all over the walls, still though i think this is kind of amusing

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
qwerty19411 said:
No_Remainders said:
Hold the fucking phone! Did I just read that right?

Grey Carter said:
"I feel like [EA's commentary] comes from a place that assumes that there's a finite number of gamers in the world." He said, "If we as an industry act like there's a finite number of gamers in the world, and just beat each other up to get access to them, I think that will come true."
Ok, seriously, what?

Did he just say that there's possibly an infinite number of gamers in the world? Surely that's just... What?
finite |ˈfīnīt|
adjective
1 having limits or bounds : every computer has a finite amount of memory.
? not infinitely small : one's chance of winning may be small, but it is finite.
2 Grammar (of a verb form) having a specific tense, number, and person. Contrasted with nonfinite .
When one says "This person assumes there's a finite number of [thing] in the world", it implies that the speaker thinks there could potentially be an infinite number of said thing in the world, does it not?

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
It's like watching two drunk idiots fighting.
Doesn't matter which one gets knocked out first, because in the end the only winners are those wacthing.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Tee hee, EA are a little optimistic there. I'll be giggling when MW3 outsells BF3 10 to 1. I remember them saying how MoH was going to blow Activision out of the water, and we all know how that went. I'm sure BF3 will probably be better than MoH was, but still.

" Last year Activision had a 90 [percent] share in the shooter category," he continued. "This year, Battlefield 3 is going to take you down to 60 or 70."

Of course.

Grey Carter said:
-Dragmire- said:
Grey Carter said:
Coke didn't do the Coke challenge, Pepsi did the Pepsi challenge," he said, (ouch. Comparing EA to Pepsi is like an eleven on a scale of one to "harsh")
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Are you saying Pepsi is an extreme underdog or their marketing ploys are bad?

Maybe it's because Pepsi is my soft drink of choice but I just don't get it.
More than it's a harsh insult. Pepsi is revolting horror juice.
Pepsi is the urine of the devil.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
Grey Carter said:
-Dragmire- said:
Grey Carter said:
Coke didn't do the Coke challenge, Pepsi did the Pepsi challenge," he said, (ouch. Comparing EA to Pepsi is like an eleven on a scale of one to "harsh")
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Are you saying Pepsi is an extreme underdog or their marketing ploys are bad?

Maybe it's because Pepsi is my soft drink of choice but I just don't get it.
More than it's a harsh insult. Pepsi is revolting horror juice.
Ah, so it's equating the flavor of Pepsi to the quality of games EA publishes.

That doesn't work with me due to my love of the Pepsi flavor and hate for EA(the company/Origin, not necessarily the games it publishes though I won't buy any game that requires Origin).
I'm guessing the idea is that Pepsi and Coca-cola are similar companies making similar products, with Coke being the larger company and Pepsi doing stuff like "The Pepsi-challenge" to try and take away Coke's 1st place.

In 2008, "PepsiCo's U.S. market share is 30.8 percent, while The Coca-Cola Company's is 42.7 percent."

No_Remainders said:
qwerty19411 said:
No_Remainders said:

Grey Carter said:
"I feel like [EA's commentary] comes from a place that assumes that there's a finite number of gamers in the world." He said, "If we as an industry act like there's a finite number of gamers in the world, and just beat each other up to get access to them, I think that will come true."
Ok, seriously, what?

Did he just say that there's possibly an infinite number of gamers in the world? Surely that's just... What?
finite |ˈfīnīt|
adjective
? not infinitely small : one's chance of winning may be small, but it is finite.
2 Grammar (of a verb form) having a specific tense, number, and person. Contrasted with nonfinite .
When one says "This person assumes there's a finite number of [thing] in the world", it implies that the speaker thinks there could potentially be an infinite number of said thing in the world, does it not?
I'm guessing he means either:
1. There's still enough people currently not playing games we could reach out to, instead of fighting for the people already buying the games.
2. There's really no reason why one has to buy EITHER Battlefield 3 OR Modern Warfare 3. People could, you know, buy both.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:

How can Activision of all people be made to look like the non dick-holes in this? Fucking Activision, the IP stealing, money grubbing, series wanking, idea hating, developer runing, tim schafer suing monolith of pure corporate box-factory fuckwittedness and EA stoops that step lower. Hows about everyone just ignores call of duty and its freakish success and actually try to make a decent game, Activision make money selling idiots the same dammed game year in year out; this obvious racket can't last forever.

Ok both go sit in the corner and think about what you've done, i don't care if he started it! You're both utter tools and should contribute something positive and creative to the gaming world FOR ONCE.
Yeah well, I guess contributing to the gaming world is not necessarily the same as contributing to their wallets.
I believe people who sell games should be people who love games, not businessmen. They tend to ruin things for money.

Offtopic: TO HELL WITH THESE CAPTCHA'S.
I CANT READ THEM. Jesus.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Ugly stuff.

I'm not a particularly big fan of shooters anymore. I find CoD to be getting more than a little tiresome. I am going to buy BF3 and probably MW3, and I'm not exactly a fan of Kotick, but this is just..... crude. Rude. Unprofessional. What, are they 10 year old kids on the playground? "MY Video game can beat up YOUR video game," whines EA. "Nuh-uh! MY video game has the awesomest graphics!" shrills Activision. Then they start slapping each other around until one cries for the teacher.

This is just pathetic, and not at all the behaviour one should expect from a huge publisher. And people wonder why no one takes the video game industry seriously! When we've got corporate execs slinging insults and snide remarks at each other!

Disgusting.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
I was going to buy both games anyway, but the thought of feeding the paycheck of this school boy EA is letting speak for them isn't very appealing.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Jbird said:
While mommy and daddy are fighting, I'll be too busy playing Batman: Arkham City.
Similar thoughts here;
This slagging match and the stupidity of Origins has really killed any interest in BF3 and MW3 doesn't look any better than MW2, which I really, really dislike.
I'll be playing New Vegas again when the new DLC comes out, then Skyrim and in 2012, Mass Effect 3 and (hopefully) Stalker 2, games which I feel have a lot more to offer.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
qwerty19411 said:
No_Remainders said:
qwerty19411 said:
No_Remainders said:

Grey Carter said:
Ok, seriously, what?

finite |ˈfīnīt|
adjective
The definition of finite, "Having limits or bounds."

infinite |ˈinfənit|
adjective
1 limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate : the infinite mercy of God | the infinite number of stars in the universe.
? very great in amount or degree : he bathed the wound with infinite care.
? Mathematics greater than any assignable quantity or countable number.
? Mathematics (of a series) able to be continued indefinitely.

The definition of infinite means, "No limits or bounds."

I think you're confusing finite with nonfinite
No. You're misunderstanding.

If I were to say "You're assuming there is a finite number of [object] in the world", you would understand that as me implying that there are, in fact, an infinite number of said object, yes?

He said that the EA guy "assumes there are a finite number of gamers in the world". I would infer from this that he considers there to be an infinite number of gamers in the world.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Mackheath said:
Cheshire the Cat said:
But I do have one question, where the fuck are their board of directors and marketing departments telling the guy at EA to shut the fuck up or hes fired?
No board member or high-up bureaucrat is ever fired; they 'resign', which means they are given a ridiculous sum and sometimes a cushier job than they already have to make way for someone even more loudmouthed and ambitious.

OT; Meh, both games are shit, but at least Activision is keeping quiet.

Where the hell did they put Bobby Kotick? I imagine he'd be drooling acid into his moneybath right now.
Is it too much to hope that Activision got so sick of him they euthenised him, chopped up his body and buried him under the floorboards?

On topic: I wonder if Ea's response to this will just be troll face saying "U mad bro?"

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Saucycardog said:
Korten12 said:
Beryl77 said:
This is getting a bit embarrassing. Both of them behave like some schoolchildren. And I really want to meet the guys who work at EA's marketing department because I'm sure it was them who told Jeff Brown to say those things, it fits their style if you look at Dante's Inferno and Dead Space 2.
How are they both? It seems Activision hasn't been acting childish while EA has been.
Activision was trashing other developers not too long ago. Kotick actually came out and said Bungie was the only good indie developer out there.
But I am talking about this fight that EA started 2 articles ago.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
This is a competitive industry? Players will only buy one game and it HAS to be yours? Yeah i think we should just lock those two in a cage, toss a few blunt instruments into the cage, and lety natural selection take its course.

Then we elect someone to shoot the winner in the head.

TheBelgianGuy said:
Oh my god. Seriously. Who's in the EA marketing department? Adults, or frickin' 10-year olds?
Scratch that, I've seen most 10 year olds behave more civilized than this.
That said, the EA guy made a spelling mistake.

TO ALL PEOPLE: I still love Battlefield, I will love Battlefield 3. Maybe. Kinda worried about the Origin thing, but I'll see when it get outs.
And besides, DICE aren't EA, they're just their slaves, right? right? Please say I'm right...
Takes approx 5 years for assimilation into the derphivemind; exceptional specimens tend to be gutted first to maintain the time frame but some managed to survive going on 10 years. To get on point no; It is too late to save them. Any original members have fled the host or been converted to make assimilation easier. There have been no confirmed reports of survivors managing to reform after abandoning ship & even then the trauma is too much for them to resume proper function.

Symptoms of being taken over include but are not limited to
- obsession with profit
-excessive lying to customers
- disregard for customers even in the face of contradiction to point the first
- increased corporate interference(argued to be a cause as well as a symptom)
- poor employee treatment
- sub-par product either through design or features
So harsh but so true lets us pray for them

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Irridium said:
Oh for-

EA, Activision, just have sex already and get it over with.
Actually, Activision already proposed that:

Grey Carter said:
Then he broke out his adorable "growing cake" metaphor again, this time adding a little more detail. "On the other hand, if we act like we can constantly pull people into this passion, which is what has happened - the industry has grown exponentially - then I think that we can bake a bigger pie instead of fighting over a bigger slice of the existing one," he said. Indeed, in a perfect world the entire game industry would be one giant cake, and you and I, gentle reader, well ... we would be the frosting.

D-Pad

Jul 15, 2011
At this point, I could care less. Neither is the "bigger man" here, considering that the bigger man would just stop arguing. They're both participating, so they're both on equal footing, in my opinion. I'm not too interested in either right now, anyway.

I'll be too busy tasting 343's two freshly baked pies when those games come out, anyway. Hand me a fresh piece of Halo Anniversary, will ya?