Activision: EA' Mudslinging Is No New Thing For a "Challenger Brand"

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Grey Carter said:
-Dragmire- said:
Grey Carter said:
Coke didn't do the Coke challenge, Pepsi did the Pepsi challenge," he said, (ouch. Comparing EA to Pepsi is like an eleven on a scale of one to "harsh")
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Are you saying Pepsi is an extreme underdog or their marketing ploys are bad?

Maybe it's because Pepsi is my soft drink of choice but I just don't get it.
More than it's a harsh insult. Pepsi is revolting horror juice.
Ah, so it's equating the flavor of Pepsi to the quality of games EA publishes.

That doesn't work with me due to my love of the Pepsi flavor and hate for EA(the company/Origin, not necessarily the games it publishes though I won't buy any game that requires Origin).
No, what he's actually saying is that Pepsi got into the soft drink business while Coke was the big dog in the pen, and in order to get word out about its product, it created 'The Pepsi Challenge'. He's saying that Pepsi had to do what EA is trying to do, get mentioned alongside the leading brand in order to make people aware of its existence.

As for the topic, we shouldn't even be giving these two any of our attention; the games should stand up on their own, regardless of how mature or immature the CEOs are acting, or the marketing campaigns they put out.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
You know Activision's not fooling anyone with their current "we are the friend of the gamer" approach. Activision has been at the forefront of giving gamers less content with more mediocrity at a higher cost for some time now. It has been the least willing to lower prices over time on its popular games like the Call of Duty franchise to lure new less hardcore gamers into the industry. It has projected an image that it will do anything to reduce it's own cost and offer less with their only concern being to their own bottom line. To see it now trying to take the higher ground in this little slap fight with EA is kind of insulting. Almost makes you respect EA more for at least coming out as the dicks we know them to be.

This whole thing is making both companies look stupid and the medium look stupid as a result. You know what the real higher ground is? Shutting the fuck up.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Frylock72 said:
-Dragmire- said:
Grey Carter said:
-Dragmire- said:
Grey Carter said:
Coke didn't do the Coke challenge, Pepsi did the Pepsi challenge," he said, (ouch. Comparing EA to Pepsi is like an eleven on a scale of one to "harsh")
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Are you saying Pepsi is an extreme underdog or their marketing ploys are bad?

Maybe it's because Pepsi is my soft drink of choice but I just don't get it.
More than it's a harsh insult. Pepsi is revolting horror juice.
Ah, so it's equating the flavor of Pepsi to the quality of games EA publishes.

That doesn't work with me due to my love of the Pepsi flavor and hate for EA(the company/Origin, not necessarily the games it publishes though I won't buy any game that requires Origin).
No, what he's actually saying is that Pepsi got into the soft drink business while Coke was the big dog in the pen, and in order to get word out about its product, it created 'The Pepsi Challenge'. He's saying that Pepsi had to do what EA is trying to do, get mentioned alongside the leading brand in order to make people aware of its existence.

As for the topic, we shouldn't even be giving these two any of our attention; the games should stand up on their own, regardless of how mature or immature the CEOs are acting, or the marketing campaigns they put out.
I thought that might be the case when I mentioned Pepsi as an extreme underdog but when he called Pepsi a "revolting horror juice", I figured he was just ripping on the flavor.

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
EA has already shot themselves in the foot because of Origin, so if I was them, I would not get cocky.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Korten12 said:
Saucycardog said:
Korten12 said:
Beryl77 said:
This is getting a bit embarrassing. Both of them behave like some schoolchildren. And I really want to meet the guys who work at EA's marketing department because I'm sure it was them who told Jeff Brown to say those things, it fits their style if you look at Dante's Inferno and Dead Space 2.
How are they both? It seems Activision hasn't been acting childish while EA has been.
Activision was trashing other developers not too long ago. Kotick actually came out and said Bungie was the only good indie developer out there.
But I am talking about this fight that EA started 2 articles ago.
I'm just saying Activision hasn't always been mature either.