Activision Fires Back Over Schafer Name-Calling

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
coldalarm said:
DTWolfwood said:
Props to Kotick for making Activision what it is tho.
A shell of its former self, with its major titles in their thousandth iteration?

Kotick's a dick, and not enough of the gaming public know that. Maybe Black Ops should have an easter egg that explains just why Kotick is a dick.
They make the most money don't they? Hate him or Hate him, he made Activision #1 :p
He didn't personally make Activision so successful, no.
Their current success is due to Blizzard and Call Of Duty. What does he do show his gratitude to the makers of Call Of Duty? Destroys the studio. He literally murdered the golden goose.
This, combined with his frequent inflammatory statements that make everyone hate Activision make him a very bad CEO.
He is bad for the industry and would be better off at some kind of box making company instead of an industry that is very hostile to his kind of blatant money gouging.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
That's why he gutted his most profitable studio, it was a "Strategic" move.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The statement makes a lot of sense; being a CEO is an immense responsibility, and that responsibility only increased with the Activision/Vivendi merger. Like it or not, the games themselves are just one aspect of Kotick's job, and are mixed in with every other aspect of ruining a massive multi-national corporation. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect Kotick to be able to think of them at anything other than a strategic level right now.
There you go, all fixed.

Actually read that as ruining the first time I read it.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
If i read the past article correctly, the "liking videogames from kotick" issue was in relation to the effects and probable aims of his actions as a ceo where having on videogames. (like "how could you do bad things to the things you like") Not whether or not he could find a few minutes to fire up ye'ol fun box from time to time.

I think this response is eluding the more serious accusations to nip the argument in the bud. But that's just what PR persons are hired to do so it's not surprising.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Dudemeister said:
He didn't personally make Activision so successful, no.
Their current success is due to Blizzard and Call Of Duty. What does he do show his gratitude to the makers of Call Of Duty? Destroys the studio. He literally murdered the golden goose.
This, combined with his frequent inflammatory statements that make everyone hate Activision make him a very bad CEO.
He is bad for the industry and would be better off at some kind of box making company instead of an industry that is very hostile to his kind of blatant money gouging.
I dont disagree. but props are due where props are due bro.

Yes Kotick wasnt the only one making the decision but he is the head of the company. Like how a General gets all the Glory in battle and his lieutenants get none, the same is true for the CEO and his board of directors.

Fenolio

May 22, 2009
They didnt actually deny that kotick is a total prick. Just thought i'd point that out :p
But yeah "Burn in hell Kotick" "Hope he gets fired" etc.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I've always known Kotick likes playing video games. You don't become CEO and still go by "Bobby" unless you have a little bit of geek/nerd in you. I just think he needs to stay out of the limelight and let his PR team do all the talking. Although at his point it's probably too late to undo the image he's given the company.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
008Zulu said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The statement makes a lot of sense; being a CEO is an immense responsibility, and that responsibility only increased with the Activision/Vivendi merger. Like it or not, the games themselves are just one aspect of Kotick's job, and are mixed in with every other aspect of ruining a massive multi-national corporation. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect Kotick to be able to think of them at anything other than a strategic level right now.
There you go, all fixed.

Actually read that as ruining the first time I read it.
If you disagree with me, that's fine, but don't go around saying you've "fixed" my writing, it's incredibly insulting.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
ciortas1 said:
That's the whole damn point. Don't be naive, money isn't the thing helping the industry at this point.
Wait what?! o_O
While the game industry does need money to survive, the massive injections of cash into AAA games means the fledgling games industry is becoming very much like Hollywood very quickly.
This means that there's not a chance for it to experiment with diffrent ideas & develop into an art form as the stockholders prefere "safe" investments (hence why we see an WAY to many shooters as an example).
Kotick and other businessmen within the industy (because he's not the only one, just the King of the Assholes) are trying to capitalise it all, which strangles creativity as Schafer said.
This is NOT a good thing, unless your happy with buying the same kind of games for the next 20 years or so.

Edit: (not sure how to edit in extra quotes, new user)
"The statement makes a lot of sense; being a CEO is an immense responsibility, and that responsibility only increased with the Activision/Vivendi merger. Like it or not, the games themselves are just one aspect of Kotick's job, and are mixed in with every other aspect of running a massive multi-national corporation. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect Kotick to be able to think of them at anything other than a strategic level right now."

Btw Have the Escapist staff not heard the term "Spin Doctor"? The statement by is pure PR bullsh*t. Do you think this Maryanne Lataif is beyond lying to increase her companies reputation? Please dont fall for it guys!

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
why did they respond? It can't possibly do them any good.

Tim Schafer = good reputation + a bit offbeat.

He can't really go wrong when calling a man with a bad rep a prick and it's an easy position to defend "well he acts like one" would do it. And a lot of people won't take him seriously anyway.

Bobby Kotick = bad reputation + claims to be a professional.

Any attempt at defence against childish name calling seems unprofessional and the bad rep means no-one cares, or worse, they defend the name caller.

Better to let it ride and if asked just say "yeah well that's Tim for you."

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Kotick 'loves' the game industry? No, he enjoys raping franchises of their dignity and making money out of the game industry. We just have to wait until he decides to change the activision logo to a swastika and start trying to conquer EA, only because he loves the industry of course.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
ciortas1 said:
DTWolfwood said:
coldalarm said:
DTWolfwood said:
A shell of its former self, with its major titles in their thousandth iteration?

Kotick's a dick, and not enough of the gaming public know that. Maybe Black Ops should have an easter egg that explains just why Kotick is a dick.
They make the most money don't they? Hate him or Hate him, he made Activision #1 :p
That's the whole damn point. Don't be naive, money isn't the thing helping the industry at this point.
Mind bringing me up to speed here? I don't keep the name cards of those involved in 'gaming politics' so I've very little information to go here, I assume games and their companies make money by selling however, to us specifically, the gaming community so... Not quite sure why its so bad that they treat it like a business. Don't get me wrong, I don't touch copy+paste games with a 10 foot pole, but I don't see them as evil for making them, especially when others seem so keen to purchase them.

Like I said, not much of a clue as to what the bs involved is so I'm probably not seeing the big picture here.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Kurokami said:
ciortas1 said:
DTWolfwood said:
coldalarm said:
DTWolfwood said:

Mind bringing me up to speed here, I don't keep the name cards of those involved in 'gaming politics' so I've very little information to go here, I assume games and their companies make money by selling however, to us specifically, the gaming community so... Not quite sure why its so bad that they treat it like a business. Don't get me wrong, I don't touch copy+paste games with a 10 foot pole, but I don't see them as evil for making them, especially when others seem so keen to purchase them.

Like I said, not much of a clue as to what the bs involved is so I'm probably not seeing the big picture here.
It's that Kotic keeps pushing copy paste, and treats the games industry like you can just run stuff on a factory line, not wanting factor in the fact that it's like Art in a sense that you need to let creativity flow rather than stifle it, the same way you can't just get lots of artists in a building and make them push out art on a factory line, you can't with video games, Kotic would rather it's an automitus process, thus leading to less interesting games.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Notice how the representative said "Games enjoyed by millions world-wide"? They have to fucking advertise even they are arguing with someone.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Canadish said:
Edit: (not sure how to edit in extra quotes, new user)
"The statement makes a lot of sense; being a CEO is an immense responsibility, and that responsibility only increased with the Activision/Vivendi merger. Like it or not, the games themselves are just one aspect of Kotick's job, and are mixed in with every other aspect of running a massive multi-national corporation. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect Kotick to be able to think of them at anything other than a strategic level right now."

Btw Have the Escapist staff not heard the term "Spin Doctor"? The statement by is pure PR bullsh*t. Do you think this Maryanne Lataif is beyond lying to increase her companies reputation? Please dont fall for it guys!
Wow I'm glad you pointed that out to me, or I'd have gone on thinking that being the Chief Executive of a multi-billion dollar company was a time consuming job.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Furburt said:
Actually, looking over the previous article, Schafer never really mentions anything about Kotick not playing videogames. He simply says that Kotick doesn't treat his customers the right way. So essentially, this rebuttal is almost totally irrelevant. I'm a bit hazy on the definitions, but that would be a Strawman argument, would it not?
Yup, that's exactly what it is.
They probably couldn't even bring themselves to lie and say he's not a dick, such a gross fallacy would be tempting fate right there...

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
You know, Kotick would have to worry about this sort of stuff less if he stopped being a total prick.