Activision Fires Back Over Schafer Name-Calling

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Do you know what I just read?

Tim Schafer: Bobby Kotick is a total prick who hates videogames!

Activision: Bobby Kotick does NOT hate videogames. That is all.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
elvor0 said:
Kurokami said:
Mind bringing me up to speed here, I don't keep the name cards of those involved in 'gaming politics' so I've very little information to go here, I assume games and their companies make money by selling however, to us specifically, the gaming community so... Not quite sure why its so bad that they treat it like a business. Don't get me wrong, I don't touch copy+paste games with a 10 foot pole, but I don't see them as evil for making them, especially when others seem so keen to purchase them.

Like I said, not much of a clue as to what the bs involved is so I'm probably not seeing the big picture here.
It's that Kotic keeps pushing copy paste, and treats the games industry like you can just run stuff on a factory line, not wanting factor in the fact that it's like Art in a sense that you need to let creativity flow rather than stifle it, the same way you can't just get lots of artists in a building and make them push out art on a factory line, you can't with video games, Kotic would rather it's an automitus process, thus leading to less interesting games.
Okay, well I don't have much love for games like that as I said previously, but shouldn't we turn to the people actually interested in such games? I know gamers who aren't actually looking for anything... worth while (by my standard) and prefer the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, 3 to be copy pasted for their purchase. Its them that bother me, atleast he's employing people and making money.

(No hate intended for Modern Warfare, I actually quite enjoyed the campaign in both games from a cinematic point of view very much)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
The statement makes a lot of sense; being a CEO is an immense responsibility, and that responsibility only increased with the Activision/Vivendi merger. Like it or not, the games themselves are just one aspect of Kotick's job, and are mixed in with every other aspect of running a massive multi-national corporation. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect Kotick to be able to think of them at anything other than a strategic level right now.
The statement makes a lot of sense, sure. Kotick is busy, thus he doesn't have much time to play games. Despite this making a lot of sense, there's still a glaring flaw with that "comeback". Simply put, "Kotick hates games" wasn't about how much or how little he plays them. Schafer's point was about Kotick's business stratagem, not about what he does while off-hours.

Schafer's message was that Kotick needs to change the way that he, and his company, do business; not that Kotick needs to play games more often. Thus, this Maryanne's counter-point is completely irrelevant. It'd be like if I said someone doesn't have a colorful personality and someone shot back with "What are you talking about? His favorite color is green." Yeah? So what?

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
"Btw Have the Escapist staff not heard the term "Spin Doctor"? The statement by is pure PR bullsh*t. Do you think this Maryanne Lataif is beyond lying to increase her companies reputation? Please dont fall for it guys!"

Wow I'm glad you pointed that out to me, or I'd have gone on thinking that being the Chief Executive of a multi-billion dollar company was a time consuming job.
he he Sorry if it came of a brash there, it was meant in good intent.
I'm not arguing that its a time consuming job at all, mearly that the whole part about Kotick "loving games" and that "he just doesnt have time to play them! Poor lil fellow!".
Its an attempt to build sympathy for Kotick, and thus improve his & Activisions reputation.
I should have been more clear there!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Whats his favourite game Koticks PA?.

"Why its developer Russian Roulette of course, where the survivors have to make a COD game!"

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I have to say, I was really hoping that Kotick was going to come back with something along the lines of "In response to Mr. Schafer's comments I would like to say he is a stupid doody head who has cooties."

oranger

May 27, 2008
You know, I've been juggling a theory around in my head for some time: What if a lot of these sales figures were lies? what if some of these massive companies were simply taking a hit?
There could be some sort of cycle, where the latest regurgitation gets purchased in high enough numbers to fund 2-3 more iterations, but as far as the public is concerned its all profitable and popular?
After all, we can all agree that many, many sequels are pure drek, IE many sports games.
EB's shelves used to be full to the brim with unsold sports titles, then one day they gave up and got rid of them.
How much of a stretch is this? from companies that basically pac-man their competitors and poop out the unemployed, not much I think.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
ciortas1 said:
Oh I'm sorry, I'll clarify. I meant the fact that he and his company is making the money isn't helping the industry, solely because of the means by which that money is gained.

I don't have the patience to argue with you though, if you'd like your subscription based CoD tomorrow, you know which side is yours.
O stop being melodramatic. What he is doing certainly isnt hurting the industry. Everyone claim to want something new and exciting, in reality yall just want to play the same old shit day in and day out. Most popular games ALL follow the SAME FORMULA. The only ones taking chances are Nintendo. So unless you favor Nintendo's line of games, id stop right here. U and me are the minority in our opinion that he is "ruining" the industry.

If what he thinks he is doing is gonna make more money all the power to him. End of the day its a choice to buy Activision. Im down for his subscription base, doesn't mean i'll pay into it. I'd laugh if he manages to run the company to the ground doing it. He is a total prick but again Props for him knowing how to make money.

Plus don't anyone ACTUALLY read what ppl post?
DTWolfwood said:
Schafer is spot on with the public image Kotick has. It matters not that he actually likes gaming, the end of the day Kotick dug himself the PR hole he is in right now. Most of his statements are flagrantly Money oriented and not Game oriented.
Remember the first half of what i said? lol ppl need to stop skimming when they read. Not that it matters your not gonna read this anyways XD

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
As soon as something's said about the company, what' happens.....the PR police show up. No, not Kotick himself responding, but instead some head of PR communications that does the standard "we disagree, he really likes this but won't openly say so, so we say it for him."

It was Kotick himself that said over the past 10 years he's tried "taking the fun out of making video games".....that's a direct quote. You cannot be more of a dick than with that statement when you're head CEO of a video game making company.

What's Kotick's Xbox Live ID? How about Steam user name? PSN player name? Does he have ANY of those (which each is required to even play his own company's games multiplayer features)? Does he own a console or a PC (other than the one that he constantly watches profit graphs on like a hypnotized squirrel).

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Yeah, nice try Ms. Lataif. Who do you think we're going to side with here? The guy who is responsible for some of the most revered and original games of the past two decades, or the guy who says his goal is to take the fun out of making games? Face it, Shafer is right. Kotick is a dick, and Activision has a serious image problem. I'm at the point where I won't buy anything with your company's name on it, and I was actually looking forward to the new Transformers game that was actually good.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Sorry but shes talking a load of bull. And Kotick can't even come out and defend himself.

Schafer is right. Kotick's image really isn't good for activision.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
coldalarm said:
DTWolfwood said:
Props to Kotick for making Activision what it is tho.
A shell of its former self, with its major titles in their thousandth iteration?

Kotick's a dick, and not enough of the gaming public know that. Maybe Black Ops should have an easter egg that explains just why Kotick is a dick.
They make the most money don't they? Hate him or Hate him, he made Activision #1 :p
That rubs me up the wrong way, Activision on it's own is number 2, the only reason it's number 1 is because of the mountains of cash over at Blizzard, EA is still a better performing studio than Activision. >_<

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Kurokami said:
elvor0 said:
Kurokami said:
Mind bringing me up to speed here, I don't keep the name cards of those involved in 'gaming politics' so I've very little information to go here, I assume games and their companies make money by selling however, to us specifically, the gaming community so... Not quite sure why its so bad that they treat it like a business. Don't get me wrong, I don't touch copy+paste games with a 10 foot pole, but I don't see them as evil for making them, especially when others seem so keen to purchase them.

Like I said, not much of a clue as to what the bs involved is so I'm probably not seeing the big picture here.
It's that Kotic keeps pushing copy paste, and treats the games industry like you can just run stuff on a factory line, not wanting factor in the fact that it's like Art in a sense that you need to let creativity flow rather than stifle it, the same way you can't just get lots of artists in a building and make them push out art on a factory line, you can't with video games, Kotic would rather it's an automitus process, thus leading to less interesting games.
Okay, well I don't have much love for games like that as I said previously, but shouldn't we turn to the people actually interested in such games? I know gamers who aren't actually looking for anything... worth while (by my standard) and prefer the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, 3 to be copy pasted for their purchase. Its them that bother me, atleast he's employing people and making money.

(No hate intended for Modern Warfare, I actually quite enjoyed the campaign in both games from a cinematic point of view very much)
I'd say that was more of a fault on both sides in regards to MW2 and the like, however, it's more the mainstream gamer market that are content with that, if it was still considered pretty geeky past time, the sales figures (relative to the imagined markets) would've most likely tanked or done medicore, specially with the dedicated server debacle, Activision makes generic games, the mass mainstream market laps it up, activision makes generic game 2, mass mainstream laps it up, etc etc, thus leading to the current situation where the mainstream are used to it being that way, thus they do not question or resist it.

We however are NOT the mainstream media, which is why we voice our concerns, you don't hear frat boy A complaining about generic gaming and he is very unlikely to even know about Activision or Kotics antics, how many people know about the Infinity Ward scandal outside proper gamers? It's just like reality TV and Soaps, the people in charge put them out, and the mainstream are quite happy to eat it, because they don't know any better.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
ciortas1 said:
DTWolfwood said:
Really, this is your argument. Nintendo is the pinnacle of originality and risk taking! Excuse me while I go, you can
lol they are and bless them for it. Dont forget they are making shit ton of money too. Love how that worked out

again u didnt read did u? apparently not if u think a long winded agreement to what u say is trolling XD

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Furburt said:
He couldn't even respond himself? I mean, I know he's busy, but surely he has the time to write a paragraph in response, not get an underling to do it.

Anyway, whatever about how difficult Kotick's job is, he's not doing it particularly well, and certainly not over the past 2 years. He's managed to decimate the studio that made him his biggest earning game, he's scared off many a team into working with other publishers (Harmonix, IW), and he's done all of it while being condescending to his own customers and recklessly arrogant. As CEO's go, he's going to start hitting Roger Smith levels soon.

He has every right to respond to criticism of Schafer's sort, but he'd come off better if he didn't try to duck the accusation.

EDIT: Actually, looking over the previous article, Schafer never really mentions anything about Kotick not playing videogames. He simply says that Kotick doesn't treat his customers the right way. So essentially, this rebuttal is almost totally irrelevant. I'm a bit hazy on the definitions, but that would be a Strawman argument, would it not?
This. I'm sure he could find the time to write something in defense.

Bottom line, though, the rebuttal is pointless, really. They could just ignore it and it gets forgotten about in a day. Now, it carries on for another week. However, I guess bad press is better than no press.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
ciortas1 said:
DTWolfwood said:
Really, this is your argument. Nintendo is the pinnacle of originality and risk taking! Excuse me while I go, you can
lol they are and bless them for it. Dont forget they are making shit ton of money too. Love how that worked out

again u didnt read did u? apparently not if u think a long winded agreement to what u say is trolling XD
They innovate when it comes to technology. And I love Nintendo very much, and I will play every game they put out providing they're not crap, however when it comes to nintendo, you cannot deny that they haven't been putting out reiterations of the same franchise since 1986.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Pilkingtube said:
DTWolfwood said:
coldalarm said:
DTWolfwood said:
Props to Kotick for making Activision what it is tho.
A shell of its former self, with its major titles in their thousandth iteration?

Kotick's a dick, and not enough of the gaming public know that. Maybe Black Ops should have an easter egg that explains just why Kotick is a dick.
They make the most money don't they? Hate him or Hate him, he made Activision #1 :p
That rubs me up the wrong way, Activision on it's own is number 2, the only reason it's number 1 is because of the mountains of cash over at Blizzard, EA is still a better performing studio than Activision. >_<
Agree

I hate Activision but LOVE Blizzard. im pretty torn about it too :( but hey money spawns new and better things(Tho not if Kotick has his way thats not true XD.) so long as ppl pay, he gonna do what works >.<

It disheartens me to see the Map packs for MW2 always on the Steam top 10 sellers list week in and week out.

But remember when EA was #1? didnt we hear this same "EA's Ceo is a prick!" rhetoric too? Everyone always hates on the #1 Publishers

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
elvor0 said:
They innovate when it comes to technology. And I love Nintendo very much, and I will play every game they put out providing they're not crap, however when it comes to nintendo, you cannot deny that they haven't been putting out reiterations of the same franchise since 1986.
hehe so true.