Adam Sandler's Ridiculous Six Is Breaking Netflix Viewership Records

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
I wonder if those numbers are for people who watched the whole movie. Personally I turned it off after about 8 minutes.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Silentpony said:
That's unbelievable. As in I literally don't believe that. They're fudging the numbers. Something is being exaggerated or misrepresented by Netflix.
TBH, I've seen the popular things on Netflix Queues and this is not surprising at all. C'mon now, you can't honestly be surprised people don't have good taste in TV series or movies. Look how long 2 and 1/2 Men lasted... that should be an indicator. Or that people actually watched Honey Boo Boo enough to where I know about it despite never having watched an episode or ever caring to...

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I'm guessing they haven't revealed the exact ratings because they don't want to reveal how many gobbling shitbags in the this world owe Native Americans a whole new apology.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
I just went to Rotten Tomatoes.

The film has a 0% rating.

ZERO. PERCENT.

It's THAT BAD.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
I get the feeling that the three biggest reasons for this are
1. Everyone is hearing how bad it is and needs to see for themselves.
2. The Title probably has the uninformed thinking it's a parody of Hateful 8, ignoring the date that both have been released.
3. There are tons of people with really bad taste.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Wait... CES has already started! That's news to me. I thought it was later this month. Time for me to be reading articles about random technocrap until sunrise.

Oh, and Sandler movies still suck, but continue to make bank.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Well if this didn't do it for you I think they're doing a limited run of Hateful 8 in cinemas soon. Not entirely the same premise I know, but I honestly have no clue what is worth watching at the moment.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think it's very important to note that many countries have certain restrictions on what content is allowed to be transmitted via the Internet. The so-called viewership records could simply be that the "movie" was viewed in countries where the selection was very limited.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Meh, Adam Sandler increasingly reminds me of Paulie Shore who amazingly managed to get a number of movies made, each of which was successful enough to warrant another one.

I keep hearing things about how the movie is politically incorrect (which is sort of a 'duh' thing, and fine given that comedies do not need to be PC) and "terrible" but it's successful so I've been waiting to see the positive reviews and defenders, which I figure must exist if the movie is doing that well.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Dying_Jester said:
I get the feeling that the three biggest reasons for this are
1. Everyone is hearing how bad it is and needs to see for themselves.
2. The Title probably has the uninformed thinking it's a parody of Hateful 8, ignoring the date that both have been released.
3. There are tons of people with really bad taste.
4. It's been released on Netflix, so it's been running trailers on there, it's been in position as a new release, and they've got it sitting at IIRC 4 stars expected rating.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The only thing that is bad about Adam Sandler films is Adam Sandler. They are usually funny, but he is a sad man to look at. Also, I can suspend my disbelief only so far, and Michelle Monaghan being into him would not happen. :p

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It's a free movie on Netflix from a known studio. I mean, had it been "Jesse Breaks Bad the movie, a Netflix original" then I'm sure that would do even better.

Otherwise we're just comparing this with individual episodes of shows rather than having anything of similar condition to compare it to. How many other big name movies saw their initial release on Netflix? Any? Bypassing the big screen and the like?

I'll point out that, no matter how much movie snobs like to fart in wine glasses and smell the result slowly while contemplating how Adam Sandler films can possibly get any more low brow, people are perfectly within their rights to enjoy cheap laughs sometimes. It doesn't have to be Gattaca we see every fucking time we look at a screen with a movie on it. So what? It's a cheap and convenient laugh. We're either laughing at the film itself or the jokes or both. Any way, it's entertaining enough and thus does its job.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
voltair27 said:
I just went to Rotten Tomatoes.

The film has a 0% rating.

ZERO. PERCENT.

It's THAT BAD.
And yet, 59% of people polled wanted to see it.
I weep for humanity.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Somehow I'm not especially surprised. No one has to pay to see this. At least not on top of payments they are already making for Netflix. And this has been accused of being perhaps the most offensive Sandler movie in quite some time. Last I checked it had made it to 26 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes with a constant 0% rating. I imagine that there are definitely some poor, misguided Sandler fans legitimately checking it out, but I'd guess that at least a significant number of viewers are just there to check out the train wreck.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
A friend of mine has watched it. He and his wife said it was funny. Though, he wanted to show it to some of us. Considering I want to show my friend's Southland Tales one day (while claiming it is amazing) I could certainly see him doing something similar.

Anyway, I once heard an interesting fact. Despite how much people claim to hate Adam Sandler, his movies make money. They may not make huge record breaking amounts of money, but they do make money. And despite what people think, sometimes companies are happy making a little money. That's why Sandler keeps making movies. Studios are happy to have a reliable source of income. And that's why Netflix was happy to give him a deal to make movies for them.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ha! You're all surprised by this? I see TFA as corporate sludge with stupidly placed humour and that made a killing (along with the other shitty but popular movies this decade), so seeing this earn many views says nothing different to me.

Also, Rotten Tomatoes is made up of people with similar views.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I always enjoyed Adam Sandler movies growing up. And when i watch them in TV nowadays, i still think they hold up pretty nicely.

Additionally i've probably never had a better laugh in a cinema than when watching Don't mess with the Zohan.
So good for him, i guess.

Maybe the silly internet hateparade can calm down a little.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
It's happened for real. Netflix has built and activated some kind of A.W.E.S.O.M.E-O robot to give them movie ideas.

A.W.E.S.O.M-O, given the current trends of the movie going public, can you come up with an idea for a movie that will break $100 million box office?

Um... Okay, how about this: Adam Sandler is like in love with some girl. But it turns out that the girl is actually a golden retriever or something.

Oh! Perfect! We'll call it 'Puppy Love'.

I'm just waiting for Sandler to make the inevitable troll film that's basically just a movie about him being a comedian making terrible movies.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Rob Schneider is in this movie. Rob fucking Schneider. In an Adam Sandler movie. How is this not one of the least-viewed turdburgers in the history of poor decisions?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Rob Schneider is in this movie. Rob fucking Schneider. In an Adam Sandler movie. How is this not one of the least-viewed turdburgers in the history of poor decisions?
I thought Rob Schneider's whole schtick was being the guy who wasn't Adam Sandler that was in all of the Adam Sandler films? Did that stop being true at some point?

008Zulu said:
I think it's very important to note that many countries have certain restrictions on what content is allowed to be transmitted via the Internet. The so-called viewership records could simply be that the "movie" was viewed in countries where the selection was very limited.
I'm now picturing Ridiculous 6 being the "Simple Jack" of North Korea. "People who have never seen a movie say it is a good movie".

OT: Pretty sure it's just rubbernecking. If you own Netflix, you're spending 0 dollars to watch that horrible thing. As a frame of reference, my dad's a Sandler fan, and even he thought it was a steaming pile.