Adoptive Parents Call Portal 2 Jokes Offensive to Orphans

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
So, just to be clear here: The fat jokes are still ok then? Good, time to go horribly destroy someone's self esteem in the manner most people are hurt by.

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
Just remember that where in this article does it say theat the child was actually offended by this remark
also its a 12+ in england so really from a foxnews/media point of veiw she shouldnt even be bloody playing this game

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Chris646 said:
Who cares if it's offensive to this small group of people? If the number of people who aren't offended by it outnumbers the amount of people who are offended by it, then you really shouldn't go screaming into the stars and heavens "I'm offended!" Because nobody cares. People should only really care about it when the number of people who are offended by it outnumbers the number of people who aren't. Portal 2 was a great game, the guy saying this even admits that.
Just because it's a small group doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It is easier to pretend it doesn't matter, if it's a small group, though. It's like if 90% of the world population would suddenly turn into intolerant racists, wouldn't make racism right.

The reason why these group of people shouldn't be offended by Valve's joke, is because the joke really doesn't make fun of fat adopted people. It ridicules the antagonist by making him look childish for saying something only a mean kid would say.

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
I facepalmed so hard I'm pretty sure I knocked myself out.
If he thought that was bad, his kid isn't gonna survive high school.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Welcome to LIFE, get use to it, and GET OVER IT!~ I was a FOB, guess how much shit I HAD TO ENDURE? Don't be such a dick tits! People need to stop EPIC bitching for small shit at games!~ Grow the *&%^ up!~

Aug 1, 2010
Sorry kids, but if humor is involved, SOMEONE is going to be offended. The kids and parents here simply need to make the choice to NOT be offended. And yes, in most cases, it IS a choice. You don't have to laugh, but don't make a media scene.

Netface

Oct 10, 2010
"It says it's rated 'E' for everybody and I'm thinking maybe it's rated 'E' for everybody except for orphans."
Holy shit, I almost pissed myself laughing at this line

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Don't get offended too much kid, what's left of your spine might shatter or better yet, dissolve.

I want to see this kid play the first Portal.

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
Pardon me while I find someone who gives a damn. Portal offensive? Why you'd almost think it's about two highly arrogant machines, who aren't meant to be role models, forcing a human through an extremely dead maze for shits and giggles. I literally have no sympathy for any group that takes offense at Portal 2's silliness, it just means that they either want to whine or don't care enough about games to bother seeing it through.

Selway

Nov 18, 2009
MrHero17 said:
I think that critiqueing his being public about it rather than being private is a fair thing to do. It's worth asking why anyone on the escapist should actually care that this happened(I still don't know why we ever have news post about anonymous).But if the father overreacted a little by going public with this than the people in this thread have been over acting a lot. This guy did not earn himself any sort of vitrol or hate or rage because he did this.

The guy bought Portal 2 for his 10 yeard old daughter, sits down to play it with her and people here at the escapist are shitting on him for it. What the hell guys!?!? Aren't fathers like him more or less what we like to see in regards to our hobby?
No I don't think he's the type of father we should applaud. Why did this have to go beyond having a talk with his daughter? Children are going to be exposed to things you don't want them to be and this honestly is pretty innocuous for a kid that's ten. I had seen and heard some considerably more questionable content when I was four, which is as far back as I can recall so in fairness probably earlier honestly. Look at this quote from the father.

"It says it's rated 'E' for everybody and I'm thinking maybe it's rated 'E' for everybody except for orphans."
Seriously, read it a couple times and try not to think "Fuck this guy". It can't be done. His wording is just trying to provoke a reaction. On top of that he goes on to say that they like the game and will keep playing it. Try to imagine the mindset one has to be in to alert the media to something that mildly offended them but they'll continue to use. This does nothing to help his daughter, if she was even upset. If anything it's teaching her to piss and moan about problems rather than face them. When daddy can't deal he bitches to the TV people : D

His biggest complaint seems to be that he has to talk to his kid about something honestly long overdue. He calls it the ultimate question that he'll have to answer for his child. If that's the biggest question they ever expect him to answer he should count himself lucky.

Let's not even get started on how if this was anything other than a video game the news likely couldn't have cared less. Child watches horror movie has nightmares, news at 11.

saucyimp

Jul 28, 2010
This guy makes me sick for so many reasons. Mostly because he has now created an insecurity in his child that probably wouldn't have to exist in the first place if he hadn't been such a selfish dramatic douche.

I'm adopted and my parents told me from the very beginning that I was. I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am they did. Why? Because it makes being adopted really not a big deal. By keeping it from her until the age of 10, he's set it up so it's this big secret that she couldn't possibly comprehend until she was older. It doesn't have to be a big deal. If he had just told her from the beginning, he wouldn't have to break it to her because of an insult in a video game.

Concerning the insult, no, it's not offensive. It's a childish joke. The comment doesn't have to be offensive, you can laugh at it. In fact, because he chose to get upset about it, he sent a very clear message to his daughter that being adopted is a sensitive serious issue and any joke about it is entirely in poor taste. He's introducing shame into the fact that she's adopted that wouldn't have to exist in the first place. If he wasn't a complete idiot, he should have just laughed and said "Wow, what a lame comeback!" And then the kid could have been like "yeah totally!" If he's that concerned with the character's insult, take the power out of them.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
MrHero17 said:
rsvp42 said:
I think it's the triviality of the matter compared to how the father is dealing with it. He could easily just send an e-mail to Valve (hell, Gabe Newell himself invites e-mails and he says he reads every one) or just discuss the matter with his child. Bringing the media into it is unnecessary. It would be like running a story on some guy offended by a comedian, which is not news.
I think that critiqueing his being public about it rather than being private is a fair thing to do. It's worth asking why anyone on the escapist should actually care that this happened(I still don't know why we ever have news post about anonymous).But if the father overreacted a little by going public with this than the people in this thread have been over acting a lot. This guy did not earn himself any sort of vitrol or hate or rage because he did this.

The guy bought Portal 2 for his 10 yeard old daughter, sits down to play it with her and people here at the escapist are shitting on him for it. What the hell guys!?!? Aren't fathers like him more or less what we like to see in regards to our hobby?
I agree with that. Aside from the unfortunate nature of the jokes in regards to their particular family situation, this is all a good thing. Dad playing games with his kid is what we like to see. I think people are probably concerned about collateral damage from this kind of story. The Fox News effect and whatnot. Suddenly games are bad for orphans and it's just another thing to pile on top of sexism, violence, addiction and everything else the uninformed use to discredit or restrict games.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
On my mother's side of the family, about 50% of them have died due to some form of cancer, another 25% had it and survived. Yet you won't hear more cancer related jokes anywhere else than during birthday parties with that family.

Grow a damn backbone and stop being so easily insulted.