After Poor Suicide Squad Reviews, Fan Creates Petition to Shut Down Rotten Tomatoes

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
These are the same stunted adolescents who lose their shit when Game Reviewer X gives AAA Game Y a 7.5/10.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Parasondox said:
The Enquirer said:
Parasondox said:
One must think angry people are misusing the online petition system. Brexit, US election, Movies. Fuck sakes!!!!

If YOU enjoy the movie, any movie, then fucking enjoy it. Don't let critics change your views on the things you are looking forward to or love.

It's YOUR mind.

Also, don't let online reviews from Rotten Tomatoes be the be all and end all of your movie viewing fun and experience.
NO. EVERYONE NEEDS TO AGREE WITH ME. If we disagree about anything that can only mean one thing. You are inherently wrong!

I feel like that's the thought process behind a lot of this stuff.
Maybe it's the rise of social media or maybe it's just a dumb ego thing but so many people just can't think for themselves anymore. They need validation on everything and anything from some random person. They even lose their shit if you aren't connected to a single fan hive mind that they assume is real. So fucking what if Jimmy from Utah didn't like the thing you like. You can still enjoy it and love it and not abuse Jimmy because he doesn't think the way you do.

We need to teach the future generation to not become spoiled brats who cries when small shit don't go their way. Oh, and not moan like a lil whiny ***** because they got caught and punished for cheating. Get Over Yourself!
One of my favorite things to do when I was bored and actually trolled people online was to go onto threads about movies, games, etc and just go "I didn't like it very much" and watch the absolute torrent of salt pour our.

Granted I didn't do that here. This is one of the few level headed places on the internet. By internet standards anyway.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm still going to see the movie guys, no matter what Rotten Tomatoes has found about it. Chill out. Sheesh.

Mar 26, 2008
TheLaughingMagician said:
How the fuck do these people brush their teeth without accidentally drowning in the sink?
Request permission to use that one in the future.

How can this even be a "thing"? Everyone has been angered by a movie review or two (for example I really like Ghostbusters 2), but there is no way I'd try and throw my weight around and censor online media just because they hold a contrary opinion. You've got to be realistic about things; everyone has a bias, it just varies in strength and the willingness to let it cloud better judgement. In this guy's case it's well and truly eclipsed his better judgement.

There's a well-known football journalist in my state who is very anti the team I've supported my entire life. I just roll my eyes whenever I read her column, I don't march up to the newspaper and demand her resignation.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I feel like this is more a joke than people seriously wanting to shut down rottentomatoes. Rotten tomatoes is a review aggregator, they don't write these reviews themselves.

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
Kibeth41 said:
ShakerSilver said:
Kibeth41 said:
I feel that Rottentomatoes should be like Metacritic and have a separate section for User reviews
It already does.
My bad. Never noticed that before. Probably because I don't check Rottentomatoes that much, and mostly before a movie is officially released.

BvS [...] had pretty bad critic reviews, but a LOT of good user reviews.
Gonna need a rain check on that - at best the reaction from audiences was lukewarm
You're entirely wrong about that.

Metacritic - 7.0 User score.
724 positive reviews.
219 mixed reviews
190 negative reviews

Rotten Tomatoes - 65% user score.

It's not something to 'raincheck' on. The user reviews were positive. I'm not arguing that there aren't people vocal about hating the movies, but they're a vocal minority.

I really can't be bothered to argue about BvS's similarities to the comics.

And those movies are good in a vacuum. But generally, if you're making a Warcraft movie, the key demographic is primarily Warcraft/WoW fans. If you make a Batman/Superman movie, then the primary audiences are Batman or Superman fans.

They don't require you to do ungodly amounts of research in order to appreciate them. But generally you'll hve the most appreciation if you're at least a minor fan.
Yeah, the user reviews were more positive, but perhaps you should take a closer look at those user reviews (As is the case with any user review, you REALLY have to take them with a grain of salt). How many of them gave the movie a perfect score? How many gave them a zero? Regardless of how much one likes BvS, it does NOT deserve a perfect 10/10, especially when even The Dark Knight doesn't deserve a perfect score. But at the same time, it doesn't deserve a 0.

I know that there were people on the internet, calling for others to give BvS a perfect score to counter the ratings the critics were giving it. I'm pretty sure there was a forum post about that on the RT forums. I vaguely remember reading it and laughing.

And I remember on IMDB, that before the movie even released, there were a TON of perfect 10/10 ratings for it. And by ton, I mean, thousands of 10/10 ratings. How many of those people that gave it a perfect score even actually saw the film?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
It has a 44 on Metacritic. I guess it needs to be shut down, too.

Yeah, this is dumb. The movie made by your favorite thing ever isn't well liked by critics. So what? This happened all the time when I was a kid. The movies I liked weren't particularly well liked by critics and the movies they liked I found uninteresting. I just decided that their reviews weren't worth my time. I would enjoy the movies I liked and ignore the critics.

Is 8 year old me more mature than these people?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
"Stop hating on the stuff we like!" I think is what it can be summed up as. I agree with the aboves stating that it's just impotent fanboy rage.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
"How dare they negatively review a movie that's not even out in theaters yet, and thus I haven't even seen. BURN THEM!"

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Actually the reviews I've seen thus far haven't been that bad.
General consensus = good movie, big characters were underutilized, but would likely have overshadowed the film had they had more screentime.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
the petition is dumb but...

Rotten Tomatoes really does suck at its job.

From their Wikipedia page said:
"Rotten Tomatoes staff first collect online reviews from writers who are certified members of various writing guilds or film critic associations. To be accepted as a critic on the website, a critic's original reviews must garner a specific number of "likes" from users. Those classified as "Top Critics" generally write for major newspapers. The staff determine for each review whether it is positive ("fresh", marked by a small icon of a red tomato) or negative ("rotten", marked by a small icon of a green splattered tomato). (Staff assessment is needed as some reviews are qualitative rather than numeric in ranking.)"
So, firstly, they only take reviews from the critics that a) work for major newspapers, b) are members of a film critic association, or c) are liked by their users. Then, the staff determine whether the review was positive or negative, and only whether it was positive or negative. Then they take all the positives and all the negatives and pump out the aggregate score, presented as a nice, simple percentage that someone who has no idea how they arrived at that number can just look at it and go, "Wow, that's a good/shit film."

This is not a good process for deciding what films to watch. It is a bad process. I think those guys accusing Disney of bribing reviewers are as full of shit as the next conspiracy theorist, but to be honest, it would not take too many guys working at RT to skew the numbers one way or another and make a film look like the critics hate it. There's just way too much room for bias and human error in their process.

To everyone here who watches Zero Punctuation: If Ben Croshaw was a film critic, would he meet RT's qualifications to be included in the aggregate? And if he was, how would RT tell whether his reviews were positive or negative when he deliberately avoids giving a review a score in favour of giving you his actual, unvarnished opinion?

Edit: Look. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotten_Tomatoes#Audience_Score_and_reviews] Look at this shit.

Wikipedia said:
Each movie features a "user average," which calculates the percentage of users who have rated the film positively, similar to calculation of recognized critics' reviews. The users' score is more detailed, because users rate the movie on a scale of 0-10. (Critic reviews generally use 4-star ratings and are often qualitative). A user score of 7 (equivalent to 3.5 stars on a 5-star scale) or higher is considered positive.
Users have to rate a film 7 out of 10 for it to be considered a positive review. Last I fucking checked, five was half of ten. Not seven. They are literally assuming that user reviews are on a four point scale. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale] Do the people giving the reviews know that?

Why do people pay attention to this website?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
NLS said:
All fanboys need to calm down a notch or two.
FTFY. :p
It's a common occurrence across all fandoms, really. There are always the highly vocal idiots in every fan scene and they are never ever worth listening to.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
the petition is dumb but...

Rotten Tomatoes really does suck at its job.

From their Wikipedia page said:
"Rotten Tomatoes staff first collect online reviews from writers who are certified members of various writing guilds or film critic associations. To be accepted as a critic on the website, a critic's original reviews must garner a specific number of "likes" from users. Those classified as "Top Critics" generally write for major newspapers. The staff determine for each review whether it is positive ("fresh", marked by a small icon of a red tomato) or negative ("rotten", marked by a small icon of a green splattered tomato). (Staff assessment is needed as some reviews are qualitative rather than numeric in ranking.)"
So, firstly, they only take reviews from the critics that a) work for major newspapers, b) are members of a film critic association, or c) are liked by their users. Then, the staff determine whether the review was positive or negative, and only whether it was positive or negative. Then they take all the positives and all the negatives and pump out the aggregate score, presented as a nice, simple percentage that someone who has no idea how they arrived at that number can just look at it and go, "Wow, that's a good/shit film."

This is not a good process for deciding what films to watch. It is a bad process. I think those guys accusing Disney of bribing reviewers are as full of shit as the next conspiracy theorist, but to be honest, it would not take too many guys working at RT to skew the numbers one way or another and make a film look like the critics hate it. There's just way too much room for bias and human error in their process.

To everyone here who watches Zero Punctuation: If Ben Croshaw was a film critic, would he meet RT's qualifications to be included in the aggregate? And if he was, how would RT tell whether his reviews were positive or negative when he deliberately avoids giving a review a score in favour of giving you his actual, unvarnished opinion?

Edit: Look. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotten_Tomatoes#Audience_Score_and_reviews] Look at this shit.

Wikipedia said:
Each movie features a "user average," which calculates the percentage of users who have rated the film positively, similar to calculation of recognized critics' reviews. The users' score is more detailed, because users rate the movie on a scale of 0-10. (Critic reviews generally use 4-star ratings and are often qualitative). A user score of 7 (equivalent to 3.5 stars on a 5-star scale) or higher is considered positive.
Users have to rate a film 7 out of 10 for it to be considered a positive review. Last I fucking checked, five was half of ten. Not seven. They are literally assuming that user reviews are on a four point scale. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale] Do the people giving the reviews know that?

Why do people pay attention to this website?
Actually, the reviewers tell Rotten Tomatoes whether they liked the movie or not, and that is what is used in the equation for whether or not it is "Fresh", the staff at Rotten Tomatoes do not make that decision. So yes, if Yahtzee review movies, he would simply tell them whether he liked it or not. (Remember any butt-hurt fanboy can edit Wikipedia at any time.) As for their audience reviews, while I agree that 7.5 is a little high of a threshold, on the internet most people do use the four point scoring, which is why critics giving 3/5 stars to a fanboy movie, or 70% to a AAA game are attacked by impotent ragers. Do people giving the reviews know that? Well, all you have to do is mouse over the ? next to Audience Score and it tells you exactly that, so I imagine that yes they do know that, unless they just blindly put out a 5/5 or a 0/5 in which case they don't care.

Remus said:
Actually the reviews I've seen thus far haven't been that bad.
General consensus = good movie, big characters were underutilized, but would likely have overshadowed the film had they had more screentime.
You need to check out more videos instead of cherry picking the good ones. It's being savaged on YouTube just as much as by the pro critics. Search the word "disappointment" and you should bring up most of the Suicide Squad reviews.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
And this is news worthy how? I swear, every five minutes someone makes some dumb, inane Petition over something stupid.

Like that one time I stepped on some guys house and they made some dumb petition against mechs. Honestly, how crazy can you get? Ungrateful idiots.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Kibeth41 said:
It's petty, but not completely unwarranted in my opinion.

I feel that Rottentomatoes should be like Metacritic and have a separate section for User reviews. Because a lot of the time, I see a major discrepency between the two, and it usually means the movie is okay.

For example, let's take Warcraft and BvS. These movies had pretty bad critic reviews, but a LOT of good user reviews. This probably comes down to the fact that the critics aren't really fans of the source material and are more just watching the movies because they have to, without really "getting" anything that's going on. Whereas the users who go out to watch these movies are more than likely going to be fans of the source material already, and can provide a more accurate insight for other fans (probably you included).

And then there are movies like Ghostbusters, which saw decent critic reviews, and abysmal user reviews. Probably due to critics looking at the movie with a more neutral viewpoint, away from any backlash or controversy. Whereas users have been on the hate bandwagon for Ghostbusters ever since its conception.
So if the critics hate the movie they're not fans of the source material, and if users hate the movie they're on a hate bandwagon. Do you have a situation for when a movie is just plain bad?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I doubt that this is a case of the petitioner being moronic, it's more a case of him buying into Suicide Squad's Kool-Aid.

Few of the jokes are memorable, Margot Robbie and Will Smith are just about the only castmembers who don't look like their role is asking them to cheese the Heck out of their lines, and Jared Leto's Joker was annoying. I had low expectations from the first trailer, and they only got lower.

I figure DC's the subject of some sort of huge karmic punchline. In the nineties, they ruled the daytime airwaves with the DC Animated Universe, all the while Marvel was struggling under Fox's airtight regulations and censoring the word "kill" from episode scripts for the nineties' Spider-Man cartoon. If you want someone to blame for everything involving enemies and friends of Parker's ending up in interdimensional portals, blame Fox.

The fulcrum's swung in the opposite direction, now. Marvel's pushed its characters into mature subject matter with Civil War and seems to be working as hard as it can to make the MCU feel like it's populated by believable individuals - while Warner is desperately clingigng to the Frank Miller era and Batman as its cash cows.

If anything, what they should learn from Marvel is to stop being afraid to embrace the stupidity of their properties' respective premises. Nobody loses their parents and then decides to turn into a cape-wearing detective-ninja; just as someone with Superman's abilities is likely to have more-than-rocky formative years.

Go nuts, DC! Bring on the Batusi and Kid Clark totaling his father's Chevy with a playfully-thrown punch! Either dig into these characters seriously, or fucking stop trying and just go for the Adam West School of Not Giving a Crap and Coming Up with Nonsensical Gadgets.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Hrm... reminds me of the console wars debates. With or without an internet, manufactured outrage over shit that doesn't matter will always be...

*Peers angrily at those who only refuse to play anything but Eurogames and scoff at anything else brought to the table...*