Ain't no homo gonna make it to heaven

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
Ignorance, get it in them young before they form analytical thinking skills.

(Why do you churches want you to take kids more then anything else.)

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Religion on its own, isn't a bad thing.

Stupid people who use religion as a shield is what sucks.

If there was no religion, morons would find some other following to get behind to voice their bigoted views.
most people can pretty much make a religious following out of anything
political parties, sci-fi novels and writers - looking at L. Ron Hubbard and George Lucas
so yes, I'd have to agree with you
for the most part, religion (at least the major branches) do not actively tell you to hurt others in any way shape or form, it is the people who only take small portions of the big picture in order to suit their individualistic views

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
silver wolf009 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

If there was no religion, morons would find some other following to get behind to voice their bigoted views.
I've always felt that religion is a needed aspect of reality, for two reasons.

For one, I'm not too keen on living in a world where we're just resigned to this being it, so that's my personal opinion on the ideas of religion, but more importantly, it's served as a binding agent for society for thousands of years. Maybe some feel that it's evil or unneeded, but I doubt a case could be made that there was a better force for bringing together people. Even if it's not true and there is nothing out there, at least it's played a roll in forming civilizations. I doubt we'd have nearly as much to be proud of as a race without religion. Even if its time of relevance is fading away, which I'm not too sure it is, we should give it credit for playing a big part in human advancement.

Oh, and bigots need no flag or religion. Removing it wouldn't stop stupid. No force can defeat stupid.

OT: Hopefully a point will come where the child will realize what he said, and hang his head, otherwise he'll just grow into one of the audience. Here's hoping, eh?
Agreed.
And for anyone worrying that only America has so many bigots and fanatics, we in Poland have more. And they gather each 10th of the each month around the Presidential Palace in Warsaw, yell, chant religious songs and throw things at pepole. All that because a plane carrying half of the ruling party including the president and his wife crashed near Smolensk two years ago.
Not only that, but they blame it on the rest of the government, which aren't very nice and intelligent either. Just lovely.

Hopefully no one has found this offensive.

On a side note: I think that I've clicked a Red Button in someone's badges, and everyone's avatar depicts J.Bieber now. Should've listened to the warnings.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Bolwing said:
silver wolf009 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I've always felt that religion is a needed aspect of reality, for two reasons.

For one, I'm not too keen on living in a world where we're just resigned to this being it, so that's my personal opinion on the ideas of religion, but more importantly, it's served as a binding agent for society for thousands of years. Maybe some feel that it's evil or unneeded, but I doubt a case could be made that there was a better force for bringing together people. Even if it's not true and there is nothing out there, at least it's played a roll in forming civilizations. I doubt we'd have nearly as much to be proud of as a race without religion. Even if its time of relevance is fading away, which I'm not too sure it is, we should give it credit for playing a big part in human advancement.

Oh, and bigots need no flag or religion. Removing it wouldn't stop stupid. No force can defeat stupid.

OT: Hopefully a point will come where the child will realize what he said, and hang his head, otherwise he'll just grow into one of the audience. Here's hoping, eh?
Agreed.
And for anyone worrying that only America has so many bigots and fanatics, we in Poland have more. And they gather each 10th of the each month around the Presidential Palace in Warsaw, yell, chant religious songs and throw things at pepole. All that because a plane carrying half of the ruling party including the president and his wife crashed near Smolensk two years ago.
Not only that, but they blame it on the rest of the government, which aren't very nice and intelligent either. Just lovely.

Hopefully no one has found this offensive.
Diverting from the topic, I see you're new here. In case someone hasn't yet welcomed you, allow me!

Welcome to the Escapist friend. Avoid the basement, and have fun.

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
[/quote]

Diverting from the topic, I see you're new here. In case someone hasn't yet welcomed you, allow me!

Welcome to the Escapist friend. Avoid the basement, and have fun.[/quote]
Thank you... I guess.

Captcha: Pearly whites. Odd.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Res Plus said:
Buretsu said:
Res Plus said:
Hey, indeed, that is nicely put. I will be stealing that and passing it off as my own in future. ; )
Religion is the belief that there is a God, despite the lack of evidence. Atheism is the belief that there is not a God, because of the lack of evidence. In that sense, they're both belief systems.
Nah, sorry, don't agree at all. The way you have put it is the way many religious group try to frame it to make the two viewpoints equivalent, they are not.

It always amazes me how religion retrenches with each body blow. The world is flat, oh some Italian chap has proved it round, oh right, well that was a metaphor.

The world is 5000 years old, oh some English Victorian geologist has proved it's over 4 billion years old, oh right, well that was a metaphor.

Religion is the ignoring of all practical envidence, no matter how much it piles up. Atheism is the weighing up of evidence and coming to the only logical conclusion based on that evidence.

Religion is pure "belief", atheism is based on scientific enquiry.
You guys are wayyyyy off topic, but I'll join in because, well lol.

Anyway, there is no evidence to suggest that a God does not exist. That is, the existence of a God is non-falsifiable, it cannot be proven true or false. So any claim that believing that God does not exist is based on Scientific inquiry rather than belief is pure bullshit.

That being said, a man can consider himself an atheist if simply does not believe in any god. That is, he has no reason to believe in one because the evidence has simply not presented itself. This is different than outright saying that a God doesn't exist.

shockywatt

May 30, 2012
I grew up in the south and honestly this goes on all the time. Back when i still lived in the bible belt you could talk about how much you hate other races,religions, and ways of life and the teacher would not punish you for it. they would encourage you. it realty made me sick of my parents grounding me if I didn't go to church and is the main reason I don't go to church now as a adult.

sigma2

Nov 18, 2009
It's funny in retrospect that no one in these types of arguments usually read the bible.

Or that those who do only point to the one passage that proves their point and forgets to bring up the ones that say otherwise.

Hell, wasn't there a passage or something about saying that all people who go to heaven turn into males?

How come no one fucking brings that up huh?!

azukar

Sep 7, 2009
I've got a much, much sadder video than this lurking in my Youtube history... Should see if I can dredge it up.

Basically it's a young boy, looks about ten years old, at some kind of Bible Camp. He's speaking to his peers about how hard it is to keep believing, and how he keeps having the wrong thoughts. He's nearly in tears through the whole thing.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
Religion is bad for individuals and society, and if you teach it to your children you should be hung from the neck.

Lying to your children about the fundamental nature of the world and universe at large is child abuse.

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
zehydra said:
For the record I don't believe the Jewish law condemns homosexuality anyway.
No, it really does. It's just about impossible to enforce the death penalty in accordance with Jewish Law, and the last court with the authority to do so dissolved about 1900 years ago, but theoretically they are deserving of it and it is condemned just as strongly as incest, bestiality or any other form of sexual immorality.

sigma2 said:
Or that those who do only point to the one passage that proves their point and forgets to bring up the ones that say otherwise.

Hell, wasn't there a passage or something about saying that all people who go to heaven turn into males?

How come no one fucking brings that up huh?!
Well, for one thing I think you may have just made that up.

Mudze said:
Religion is bad for individuals and society, and if you teach it to your children you should be hung from the neck.
What a paragon of tolerance you are.

Lying to your children about the fundamental nature of the world and universe at large is child abuse.
I'm sure that's their intent. Even if it were, by the way, that wouldn't actually fit any definition of child abuse.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Chaos-Spider said:
Saulkar said:
Really?! I mean... fucking really?!

People are calling this child abuse, indoctrination, vile, I call it fucking retarded. Seriously, in the age old question when did anyone ever know what God's opinion on homosexuals is? Who are they to judge?

No disrespect to peaceful people of faith but it is shit like this experienced in real life that made me reject organised religion. Especially what they are doing to this kid? I am hoping this kid does not understand what he is say because I sure as hell would have at that age. Now I kept this in the off topic section to avoid making this a (flaming argument) strictly religious debate (which it will unfortunately become without a doubt) so what do you gals and guys have to say about this?
KEEP IT CIVIL

NOTE: I am pretty miffed by this video and thus my OP is pretty much nonsensical so I will now leave this forum and allow you hopefully (not gonna happen) have a civil, open discussion about this. And please Do not include me in it because if the OP is any evidence, I am not thinking straight. That includes backhanded, sarcastic remarks.
Nice christ picture.

OT: Chances are, the kid doesn't understand what he's singing and is simply performing so that he will get parental approval (or at least avoid punishment) but yeah, it would be nice if we as Christians could get a consistent definition or rating of importance of specific individual bible verses.

Personally I am waiting for the pilgrimage of the Jacket. Where Christians from all over the world go to some small town in the middle east carrying a new jacket to give it to a small statue of Saint Paul, simply because St paul said to some guy in the 1st century "bring me a jacket".
Pilgrimage of the jacket eh? Has a nice ring to it. Maybe the long trek through the desert would straighten a few nut jobs out, or...

Push them over the edge.

aattss

May 13, 2012
Honestly, who ever thought "I'm a normal person who isn't actually homophobic but the bible explicitly says 'homosexuals are bad' so I'll go persecute homos like some stereotypical terrorist"

Well, in the crusades, Christians did slaughter muslims. Anyway, before Jesus, god was saying something along the lines of "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth". It wasn't until Jesus (and him sacrificing himself) when god stopped slaughtering everyone.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
God actually -does- dislike homosexual people, it's right there in the bible, which is considered by religious folk to be the infallible "word of god." These people (when they applaud) are just being honest about it.

I can't understand why some would chose to believe only -some- parts of the bible in a literal sense, but view the others as a metaphor. Like the whole selling of your kin into slavery, or stoning people to death. Even more difficult to understand is why people would actually believe god is something real, especially with zero evidence to support this.

Insomniac55

Dec 6, 2008
zehydra said:
Anyway, there is no evidence to suggest that a God does not exist. That is, the existence of a God is non-falsifiable, it cannot be proven true or false. So any claim that believing that God does not exist is based on Scientific inquiry rather than belief is pure bullshit.
One does not need evidence that God does not exist. The claim of a god existing is an extraordinary claim (regardless of whether you believe or not, one must admit that the idea of a god is extraordinary, whether true or false).

As such, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim!

Let's make an analogy... say, the question of whether Unicorns exist or not.

Now, I've never seen one. I've never seen any convincing evidence that they exist, nor are there any phenomena which could only be explained by the existence of unicorns. While I'll accept there is a possibility they exist, until the evidence is presented I can be almost certain that they don't. There is no proof that they exist, and no proof that they don't. However, this does NOT, I repeat, NOT, make the two positions equivalent.

I don't need to prove Unicorns don't exist. In fact, it would be impossible to do so as it is logically impossible to prove a negative. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, else they are unfounded.

The same arguments follow for the existence of God. Neither side has proof that they are correct, however, God's existence can only be confirmed if there is proof that he does, in fact, exist! It's impossible to prove that he doesn't. The burden of proof is on the ones making the extraordinary claim, and the default position is therefore that he does not exist, until proven otherwise.

If you're gonna believe in God, I won't tell you you're wrong. But don't pretend the two positions are equally justifiable, because they simply aren't. That's not how logic works.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Insomniac55 said:
zehydra said:
One does not need evidence that God does not exist. The claim of a god existing is an extraordinary claim (regardless of whether you believe or not, one must admit that the idea of a god is extraordinary, whether true or false).

As such, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim!

Let's make an analogy... say, the question of whether Unicorns exist or not.

Now, I've never seen one. I've never seen any convincing evidence that they exist, nor are there any phenomena which could only be explained by the existence of unicorns. While I'll accept there is a possibility they exist, until the evidence is presented I can be almost certain that they don't. There is no proof that they exist, and no proof that they don't. However, this does NOT, I repeat, NOT, make the two positions equivalent.

I don't need to prove Unicorns don't exist. In fact, it would be impossible to do so as it is logically impossible to prove a negative. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, else they are unfounded.

The same arguments follow for the existence of God. Neither side has proof that they are correct, however, God's existence can only be confirmed if there is proof that he does, in fact, exist! It's impossible to prove that he doesn't. The burden of proof is on the ones making the extraordinary claim, and the default position is therefore that he does not exist, until proven otherwise.

If you're gonna believe in God, I won't tell you you're wrong. But don't pretend the two positions are equally justifiable, because they simply aren't. That's not how logic works.
I never said they were equally justifiable within the frame of practicality. The truth is, either a God exists or it doesn't. You've chosen to place your bets on that he doesn't.

Unfortunately the existence of a God is an extraordinary claim, but unfortunately so is the claim that one does not exist at all.

To me, the analogy of unicorns doesn't hold, simply because it is not so ridiculous to think that one may in fact exist SOMEWHERE in the universe where life may have arisen. That is, you should change it to, "the existence of unicorns on earth".

In which case we should say, "well of course unicorns don't exist on earth. We've scoured the entire earth looking for a unicorn"

Anyway, I'm not really trying to justify belief in a God, I'm just trying to show you that disbelief is no better, really.

What I mean is, there is no point in taking sides here. You can take a stance against the existence of the Christian god (since he has numerous believed contradictions), or other described gods, but to say that there is no god whatsoever to me is a VERY extraordinary claim.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
That video is horrifying, and I'm Catholic m'self (but Lord knows that the Christians who hate homosexuals are probably in one of the many sects that think we're the devil). I mean geez, whether it's part of your religion or not I really don't mind what you think about homosexuals, but why be so barbaric as to force a child to sing those thoughts?

Freechoice said:
A bunch of atheists should march into a church and sing that.

Meh game, great OST.
Actually, it's an old Christian folk song. Johnny Cash just thought it would be neat to do a darker cover (and neat it was).