Al Gore Lauds Ecological Potential Of Games

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Al Gore Lauds Ecological Potential Of Games

Videogames have an unrivalled ability to entertain, but they can also provide valuable tools in making the world a better place, according to former Vice President Al Gore.

In a recent speech at New York University, Gore, who served as VP under 42nd President Bill Clinton and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007, lauded the industry's growth, despite the ongoing worldwide economic strife. "This is a sector of the economy that justifies that optimism," he said.

"This is a very large, extremely significant industry with a wildly diverse and rapidly-growing audience of players on all kinds of platforms. We already know the immense power of popular media to illuminate issues that can seem intractable and overly-complex, but can be illuminated and presented to general audiences in a way that invites people to become involved in trying to solve the problems that our society has to solve."

Since his days as America's second-in-command, Gore has dedicated his time and significant resources toward raising awareness on a number of ecological issues. In addition to investing heavily in a number of green technologies, Gore has spent years educating people on the dangers of global warming via a surprisingly interesting slide show, which was immortalized in the Oscar-winning film An Inconvenient Truth.

Games, Gore believes, offer a new way to educate and inform the masses, as well as garner support and an interest in active involvement. "It has been very exciting to me to see so many ideas that integrate social good and efforts to make the world a better place into games," he said.

Specifically, Gore cites games that leverage the cooperation of groups and far-flung social communities, such as Zynga's wildly successful Farmville.

"These social communities say something positive about us and what gamification can do. This industry is sometimes defined by some of the lowest common denominator games ... but the cooperation over competition, and the social rules aspect is gaining momentum."

"I've been encouraged by recent developments like Trash Tycoon and Oceanopolis, and both have spurred my thinking in this area. In closing, I want to say that I'd love to work with any teams that are interested in making games that are focused on solutions to the climate crisis. I look forward to getting to know this community better," Gore concludes.

Regardless of your political affiliation, I think Gore's message is a valid one. Games, moreso than any other entertainment medium, have a capacity to enlighten and motivate people regardless of religion, culture or skin color.

If teenagers can instantly spot the minute differences between an M16 and an MP5 after a few hours with Call of Duty, they can certainly learn to conserve fossil fuels, given the right game.

Of course, that's the crux of the whole thing. It's up to developers to find a way for ecologically beneficial games to engage the average person. The audience is there, they just need the right game to motivate them.

Source: Gamasutra [http://gamasutra.com/view/news/35310/G4C_Al_Gore_Says_Games_Have_Clearly_Arrived_As_A_Mass_Medium.php]

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Why is it I get the feeling that Extra Credits will do a video on this now?

Otherwise, despite not being a Gore fan, I am not bothered at this. It almost makes up for the fact that I had to watch the same darn movie every year in science class.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
Gaems are super serial! Excelsior!

Ninja'd.

Well now I have no Al Gore southpark jokes to make, I'll have to comment seriously.

Umm. . . that's cool Al, I'm glad to see a politician taking the side of video games.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
M16 and an MP5
Minute you say? They look nothing alike. Sights, stock, magazine, handgrips, all completely different.

As for Al Gore I stopped taking him seriously as soon as he said Farmville.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
My research on the on the "internet" say that Al-Gore was one of the main senators that supported the establishment of what we use daily and know of as the Internet.
Look it up, I'm super cereal.

acsoundwave

Jul 18, 2010
My main concern is that any eco-conscious game made will be a playable version of Captain Planet.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I don't see the top video game developers putting in ecological messages...

That would just make them seem patronising.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I thought the general thinking on global warming was that it is a load of bunk? why is he still beating that horse for photo ops.

I am sure game have been and will be used to teach stuff, heck when i was a kid we had apple 2s or something like that with educational games when i was in grade school.

WE had speak and spell and other toys that taught kids how to do stuff, is it worth noting at all this day and age that saying games can be used to teach stuff is groundbreaking or new is silly.

If he wants to try and stick his bs about the ice caps melting and all of us dying and crap, great contact a few game studios pitch your idea, seem if any of them run with it. holding a press conference like the whole world should be waiting with baited breath to see what games the mighty gore can produce or whatever is moronic and self important.

Mettking

Mar 17, 2011
ABORT! ABORT!

Cut your losses now before you make a Captain Planet game. We're already going greener with digital distrabution, just leave us alone.

Edit: I don't need advertisments for posting, just the standard random jiberish will do.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
In a recent speech at New York University, Gore, who served as VP under 42nd President Bill Clinton and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007, lauded the industry's growth, despite the ongoing worldwide economic strife. "This is a sector of the economy that justifies that optimism," he said.
Didn't Russ mention something in today's podcast about video game purchases being DOWN last year, and that's why E3 had a severe case of sequelitis? Does someone have numbers?

In addition to investing heavily in a number of green technologies, Gore has spent years educating people on the dangers of global warming via a surprisingly interesting slide show, which was immortalized in the Oscar-winning film An Inconvenient Truth.
So he invests in green companies then goes around telling people they need to go green? I'm not questioning the message, seen way too many fights on that topic, I just don't trust comments from a person who jets around telling people they need to buy his stuff.

Games, Gore believes, offer a new way to educate and inform the masses, as well as garner support and an interest in active involvement. "It has been very exciting to me to see so many ideas that integrate social good and efforts to make the world a better place into games," he said.

Specifically, Gore cites games that leverage the cooperation of groups and far-flung social communities, such as Zynga's wildly successful Farmville.
Okay, now I definitely don't believe him. Praising Zynga's skinner-box-filled-with-concentrated-marketing as a force for social good? Have I missed something? The only social element I've seen to Zynga's games is a drive to rope your friends into the habit. Some alcoholics and drug users do the same thing to sober friends, it's not a good thing. Have Zynga changed since last I looked?

"These social communities say something positive about us and what gamification can do.
Good lord, Zynga is better proof of the evil that can be done with gamification. They use the tools talked about in Extra Credits to power a money machine, not to power any engine of improvement like education or even the environment.

"I've been encouraged by recent developments like Trash Tycoon and Oceanopolis, and both have spurred my thinking in this area.
Balance of the Planet by Chris Crawford. From 1990. The idea of a game of this sort is not recent.

ishist

Jul 6, 2010
This has been happening for years, just nobody noticed. Go youtube the intro video for almost any future war or post-apocalyptic game and you'll hear faux-news clips talking about oil shortages and gas prices being the leading catalyst for the conflict.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Why is he mentioning Farmville but not Fate of the World? The latter is an excellent example of how to use the medium to this cause, Farmville is most definitely not.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
The only Gore I want in my games is the Bloody type.

Take the whole enviromentalist movement, stick it in a rocket, strap Al to the nosecone and shoot it into the sun. Far, far away from the gaming industry.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
cerebus23 said:
I thought the general thinking on global warming was that it is a load of bunk? why is he still beating that horse for photo ops.

I am sure game have been and will be used to teach stuff, heck when i was a kid we had apple 2s or something like that with educational games when i was in grade school.

WE had speak and spell and other toys that taught kids how to do stuff, is it worth noting at all this day and age that saying games can be used to teach stuff is groundbreaking or new is silly.

If he wants to try and stick his bs about the ice caps melting and all of us dying and crap, great contact a few game studios pitch your idea, seem if any of them run with it. holding a press conference like the whole world should be waiting with baited breath to see what games the mighty gore can produce or whatever is moronic and self important.
The general thinking is not that global warming is a load of bunk. Climate change is a serious problem. Many scientists are working on ways to slow it down while humanity transitions to using cleaner energy.
Edit: AL Gore is getting obnoxious, though.