Al Gore Lauds Ecological Potential Of Games

Keybladeking57

Mar 8, 2011
While I'm glad Mr. Gore is saying these things, and totally agree with everything he said, I wonder if there are better ways for a politician to spend his "valuable" time.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Gore isn't pro-game, he just sees it as another way to push his message.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I would have said "the difference between a commando and an m16" but whatever. At least someone is taking notice.

Keybladeking57

Mar 8, 2011
In response to this, I say he needs to say these things on a well known news station like CNN or even FOX. If he wants to have any impact on the way america thinks, this message needs to get out beyond a college campus and into america's minds on a larger scale. It's a wonderful message, it just needs A LOT more exposure.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Lethos said:
Maybe I missed something. Why is Al Gore so hated?
This didn't help:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/prosecutor_al_gore_was_focus_o.html

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Lets not forget Al Gore also invented the internet and rode the mighty moon worm. Truly a god among men..

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
And this is another reason why he should be president.

Except educational games designed purely for education are boring.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Well intentioned though he may be, he is not a gamer. Indeed he appears to be talking about games as marketing, specifically marketing for action on climate change. This is probably a good thing, but let's make no mistake, he is not interested in games as an art medium or as entertainment, he is interested in games, and gamers, as a tool. I'm not comfortable with this at all.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Read, " Al Gore Believes Video Games are Effective Means of Propoganda, so he would liek to use them to try to stay relevant"

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
Seriously? Mr Gore you don't actually think this pandering is going work do you?

Anyone who makes failed predictions for the apocalypse loses all credibility with me.

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
Lethos said:
Maybe I missed something. Why is Al Gore so hated?
Probably mainly this:

That said, Serwer's reference to the Gore campaign must have puzzled many Post readers. Has the Washington Post ever breathed a single word about the press corps' war against Gore?the war to which Serwer refers in this passage? Just a guess: Due to twelve years of silence from career liberals and mainstream journalists, most Post readers had no idea what Serwer was talking about. Nor would they have understood this further allusion:

SERWER (continuing directly): Jonathan Chait wrote recently: "An Al Gore problem results in the media ganging up on a candidate like cool kids mocking a geek, with literally everything he's doing serving as more evidence for the predetermined narrative." The high school metaphor seems particularly apt when we?re questioning someone's qualifications to be president based on his ability to level taunts at rivals.
Say what? Let's say it again: The vast majority of Post readers have never heard that there was a problem with the press corps' treatment of Candidate Gore. They will have little idea what Chait was talking about in that passage. These references come to them from inside a time capsule?a capsule which has been tightly shut over the past twelve years.
http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh062011.shtml

Also Fox News and Limbaugh and the rest of America's Pravda love to knock Gore because he might cut into oil company profits. Which means less ivory backscratchers for people who already have multiple thousands of millions of dollars (a billion is 1,000*1 Million).

Of course, I didn't vote for him at the time because he selected Joseph Lieberman, noted video-game hater, as his running mate. I should have, given George "Caligula" Bush, but I voted for Harry Browne instead.

I've warmed up to him a bit due to guest spots on Futurama, where one of his daughters is a writer or producer, but I still think he is a bit of a political opportunist. He helped push through NAFTA after all, hard to forgive any politician for that.

Still not as bad as W. though (but then, who is?).

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
"These social communities say something positive about us and what gamification can do. This industry is sometimes defined by some of the lowest common denominator games ... but the cooperation over competition, and the social rules aspect is gaining momentum."
Ah, Al Gore. He's an interesting guy. I wanna say he seems pretty cool because of the particular causes he supports and the way he actively champions them to the people. I know he's been investing a lot in green technologies and that combined with these recent statements shows that he's got an admirable ability to remain mentally flexible and adapt to the times. That said, I've heard that he's very serious about the things he believes in. There are numerous instances from his time as Vice President where Gore is noted to have skipped family engagements to attend to political matters.

Clinton would chastise Gore on this saying that a man's first responsibility is to his family and children and that how they remembered him would be the most important. Gore would respond by saying that they had worked too hard to get where they were to waste time with things like that and that the big picture was more important to the future than their own families. I can't say who I agree with more, but Gore insisting Clinton say, skip his daughter's high school graduation left a bad taste in my mouth. Still, I have a lot of respect for the guy and hey- did he just use the word "gamification"?

"I've been encouraged by recent developments like Trash Tycoon and Oceanopolis, and both have spurred my thinking in this area. In closing, I want to say that I'd love to work with any teams that are interested in making games that are focused on solutions to.
One man: MUST KILL all the carbon emissions on the planet.

Al Gore's: An Unstoppable Truth.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
He had me up until Farmville.

But seriously though, Al Gore must have logged a few hours on 'Fate of the World'.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Anyone who has had to balance the pros and cons of using cheap and dirty Coal-Fired or expensive and clean Solar power in Sim City already knew that, Al. :D

Just kidding. I like Al Gore. One of the few people actively engaged is saving the environment that isn't being a pretentious prick about it. And he's totally right. Games can be a powerful teaching tool. Hell just one week of playing Orbiter 2010, and I had a better grasp of Orbital Mechanics than I got from an entire semester of Physics in College.

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
It worries me that he mentioned Farmville. Not just because I agree with the likes of Jonathan Blow and Ian Bogost that Farmville is a negative force in the world of video games, but also because it only really involves co-operation in the loosest sense and the fact that Gore mentioned it as an example of teamwork in games doesn't exactly say he's extremely well-versed on the concept of teamwork in games. None the less it seems in some ways the man does have a genuine understanding of some of the ways in which games can be a positive force and to see that he's spoken about this kind of thing makes me very happy. I hope Extra Credits sees this.