Aliens: What if we're the advanced species?

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Orson Scott Card covered this in Speaker for the Dead. Good book (far better than Ender's Game).

Grant Stackhouse

Dec 31, 2011
It might seem mean, but I believe that any other life forms in the universe capable of intelligent thought should be viewed as a threat to human survival. If humanity is to establish its eternal dominance of the universe, then all potential threats to that dominance must be eradicated.

There is one exception: If alien life forms happen to be so similar to humanity as to be sexually compatible, then they can be assimilated and inherit the honor of being human.

I know I sound harsh, but I believe that humanity must always benefit from its encounters with other living things. Thus, if a creature can not provide us with food, and if it is too independent to make a good pet, then its existence should be ended to make room for further human expansion.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Depends on the economic situation. If we discover tribals very early on it'd end up bad for them. If we're at a state where the free market has been rendered obsolete through technology then they would be observed and kept safe from cosmic events I imagine.

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
Step 1. Create a stable economy and Government.
Step 2. Use said economy and government to have them mine resources and work under us.
Step 3. Seduce their strange blue women with our power.
Everyone's happy (except the alien bachelors but who cares about them)

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
@Grant Stackhouse Shush you silly ape. Such action never bring good in the long run.

As to Ones personal opinion. At first simply observe, then gradually getting more close up and personal(gathering and analysing data on the way, given of-course that they are not inherently hostile with no concept of diplomacy other then warmongering) and eventually, if shait does not hit the interstellar drive, make contact. If they have anything of value and we can offer something equally valuable, establish trade. However nothing that can be used to make enormous jumps in technology should be given, at least not at first, as that would most likely throw things more off balance then they already are.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
mad825 said:
Then the aliens are not intelligent, intelligent aliens are based on our level or above.
They can be intelligent without being technologically advanced, i.e. the countless renaissance cultures visited in Star Trek / Stargate

Yugeky20

Sep 19, 2011
What I'd do: Hide.
What I'd want to do: One man army.
What would probably happen: Probing, lots of probing.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
iLazy said:
This is coming from a discussion between a friend and I.

We both believe in "life on other planets" theory, but what I wonder is, what if we're the advanced beings? Hear me out.

Let's just say, we manage to figure out how to travel throughout space quickly and find another race of intelligent life-forms (living in houses, pants, the whole sha-bang), only we're the "freaky futuristic aliens from space" and they're the "less advanced aliens".

What do we do then?

Do we leave'em alone? Watch them to see how they advance? World domination?

What if they're in a terrible state? Wars, hunger, over-population. Do we help them or do we leave them to their fate?

Personally, I'd leave them alone but leave something to monitor them. I'd love to see how another race would advance.

What do you think/ what would you do?
After the research had all been done, you'd be making TV shows about them. Reality TV shows without them knowing. That's not what I want to happen, that's what surely will happen.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
A lot of it depends on how valuable a life-bearing world is to spacefarers. If it turns out to be relatively simple and easy to inhabit asteroids or perform terraforming or, for that matter, if the population stabilizes, we aren't even going to want their planet, let alone try to conquer it for living space. Any potential resource is going to be cheaper and easier to get from free-floating asteroids than from the bottom of a gravity well where you have to dig through piles of heavy stuff you don't want to get at it.

We'd probably study them out of curiosity and meddle in their affairs out of a desire to help. Whether that would turn out well or not is anyone's guess.

Personally, I'm in favor of telling them that we're out there, but that they'll have to work their way up. I'd want them to have a message of hope to know that they can achieve more and that ultimately they can solve their problems. I'd only be in favor of helping if there was some existential threat that they didn't cause, like an impending asteroid strike.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Unfortunately, I agree with the first reply. There is no reason to go messing with a lesser advanced civilisation, although it is tempting. But we'll probably just invade similar to Battle for Terra.

I was discussing with a german guy at work how it would be interesting if we got to exploring the galazy/universe, and found out that all other life was extinct. That the universe was coming to an end (Still a few hundred thousand years away), but we were to be the last space-faring race....

Archaeologists would go insane!

Wushu Panda said:
Have you never ever seen an episode of Star Trek or Stargate? They ran into less technologically advanced cultures all the time.
Like...every second episode. Ah, Stargate. How you rocked my child and teenage years. And then my adult years by rewatching them.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
If we're really the most advanced in the universe, the best it has to offer, then damn. Universe, I am disappoint.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Nouw said:
I'm from the Escapist, and I say kill 'em all!
You put your Band of Brothers Avatar back :D

Cool Avatars aside, I say we see just how far back they are on out tech scale. If they worship gods or something then leave them be, or else we will be considered gods or something and probably make their culture start civil wars over believes.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010

This pretty much sums it up...!

I had a similar thought when they saw 'evidence of life on mars' And I thought, what if all other planets have the 'pond scum' version of life, and we never come across another that has the conditions we had to evolve... And what if other planets that did evolve, just annihalated themselves, or missused their planet and died out...? Hmmm...

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Reminds me of Humanity, Fuck Yeah.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=humanity%20fuck%20yeah