All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Just make it its own thing. Don't make the characters just gender-flipped versions of the original team and follow the same beats from the original movies. Just, please stay away from fart and lowest common denominator humor.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Under_your_bed said:
Oh no, a "Niche" movie for the whiny vocal minority called "women" that I probably won't ever watch or hear about again!

WHY MUST YOU RUIN MY FILMS LIKE THIS, FEMINISM?!?!
the problem isn't the female cast, it's the motivations for doing so. i wouldn't mind it if they actually thought it was a great idea, and that they plan on getting the right cast for the role.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
V TheSystem V said:
Aubrey Plaza, Amy Poehler, Scarlett Johansson and Sigourney Weaver? I mean, Weaver was in the originals, could be the person to form the team after something happens to the original cast? It could work!
Waever is my dream cougar. i would love to see her in the films as the leader, and she can be incredibly funny if she wants to be, i hated Paul, but she was the best part of the whole film.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I hope they find a place for whoopie goldberg in the cast somewhere.

The funny thing is though, even if this film is the most woman friendly thing ever. Femenists will still find something to hate about it, and call it out for being an enemy of women everywhere.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I'd love to see this with actually funny instead of 'hawt with supposedly funny lines' women in the roles. My ideal pick would be Sarah Silverman.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
I really hope they aren't just looking at women known for comedy. This project would be far more interesting with wild-card actresses who are so versatile that they can pull off the amazing range of emotions that epitomizes the first Ghostbusters movie (I do like the second one, but it feels more like slapstick compared to the original). Ghostbusters isn't just FUNNY, but it has this dark and disturbing undercurrent in which you never know if - or when - one of the characters is going to lapse into complete madness.

To put this another way: do you want Ghostbusters to be like an episode of Parks and Recreation, or do you want four quirky badasses trying to save the world from plunging into Hell at the hands of Zuul and her puppies?

Think about it...

To put this a third way: I still want to see Emma Watson and Christina Ricci as Ghostbusters.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
endtherapture said:
I can't believe you tagged this with "sexism" Bob. Lol.
That's our Bob!

I have no interest because I don't find anyone attached in any way funny and this all feels very, very cynical to me.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
Seeing guys whine about an all female cast makes my day.

I don't like reboots because they usually suck, but at least an all female cast is partially original.

If I were casting it, I'd go with Maggie Q, Aisha Taylor, and Karen Gillan.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
8bitOwl said:
Adam Jensen said:
Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.

NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it? Look at the original Ghostbusters. But of course, women can't be funny, they need to be, first and foremost, sexy.
"Sexy, attractive" women can be funny too, you know. Not that I want them to cast women for being sexy and attractive in a comedy. But a diverse range of women would be nice. Attractive included.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
8bitOwl said:
Adam Jensen said:
Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.

NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it?
So just because she has sex appeal you want to ignore she has starred in a lot of successful comedies?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Yes. Awesome!

Not gonna happen. This has Judd Apatow/SNL/Bridesmaids written all over it.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
I don't really see the need for a reboot at all, just have a modern Ghost Busters run by Janine Melnitz recruiting a new crew. Enough time has passed you can sell that.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I love how people are making a big deal out of them supposedly making a big deal out of an all female cast despite the fact they're talking about the main characters. I'm not saying they arn't gonna milk that angle for all it's worth but at the moment they're discussing who they want in the lead roles. The whole 'just because they're women doesn't mean shit' is the correct attitude for them to have but it's not the point here.

Captcha: Get over it.

Exactly my thoughts captcha.

Quellist said:
I'd love to see this with actually funny instead of 'hawt with supposedly funny lines' women in the roles. My ideal pick would be Sarah Silverman.
Are you implying Sarah Silverman isn't 'hawt'!?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
A shameless sequel/reboot of a beloved movie that is impervious to criticism due to it featuring an all-female cast...

Hollywood, you brilliant son of a *****!

[sub]Good God, this is gonna suck so hard. I can't wait for Melissa McCarthy's 'obnoxious fat person' routine.[/sub]

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
I'm definitely in for this if Melissa McCarthy is the lead Ghostbuster. Loved her in The Heat.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
aceman67 said:
RA92 said:
As long as they keep Melissa McCarthy the fuck out.
And how far did you have to walk to get to the left field that little tid-bit came out of? If your only reasoning for her not being included is her weight, shame on you sir, because she is a damn funny lady.
Seeing as he said no reason one way or the other, your assumption that it's about her weight is fairly uncalled for. And your opinion of her being a funny lady is just that, an opinion. I personally don't find her very funny at all, because all of the movies she's in, the jokes henge on her being fat for the punchline. If they could give her a script that doesn't boil down to "it's funny because she's fat trying to do stuff fat people shouldn't do" then maybe she will impress me. But given the roles they keep giving her, I'm not holding my breath.

And if they do peg her for this movie, which is a high likelihood since she's one of the most well known female comedians currently working, then they'd better damn well give her something to work with. But again, I'm not holding my breath.

My guess is they pick Tina Fey, because they always pick her for underdog goofball female roles.
That blonde woman that frequently works with her. Amy Poehler, that's her name.
And possibly Sarah Silverman. Because if you want an annoying female version of Bill Murray, she's about as good as you can get.
And probably McCarthey in there somewhere, because her name will draw in tickets.

None of those ladies I find particularly funny, and those are my best guesses on who they will pick. So yeah, not really enthusiastic for this movie. Maybe once they actually name the cast I'll change my mind, but I doubt it.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Sounds cool. With updated special effects, a good cast, and solid jokes? Why the hell not; certainly sounds like something I'd want to watch.

Yeah, it depends on the performances and the script, but I have to admit the idea is a pretty effective hook - maybe it won't be as good as the original (though the original has the advantage of having been around for a couple of decades now), but it seems to me that the idea could get quite a lot of people in to see it. If only to witness how truly awful they think it's going to be. ;)

- THM

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
I am always really wary of anything that is "All-X" as a major production point. Far to often it becomes a pet project and the focus is put in the wrong places.

It's like most movie made with stop motion these days. The focus is all wrong. Stop motion just isn't a standard anymore. It is expensive, there are technical issues, etc. Most movies made with stop motion have a significant amount of the focus on the stop motion animation and how much the production team loves stop motion instead of on depicting something interesting with stop motion.

It is a little worrying to see someone make a big deal about what is, ultimately, cosmetic detail.