All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
8bitOwl said:
Pinky said:
8bitOwl said:
Adam Jensen said:
Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.

NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it?
So just because she has sex appeal you want to ignore she has starred in a lot of successful comedies?

"Starring in a comedy" is most certainly not equivalent to "being good at comedy". She sucks as an actress in general, and I doubt she's suddenly a talented comedian.

I would also argue she doesn't have real sex appeal, either.
Scarlett Johansson does not have real sex appeal? I know this is kind of derailing, but I just have to know how you come up with that one.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
In the immortal words of the (abridged version of) the Eternal Dragon: "I can't wait to see how you fuck this up."

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
The only part of this announcement that irritates the hell out of me is that their rebooting the franchise, seriously the first ghostbusters is fantastic it doesn't need to be rebooted and honestly I think it would be pretty cool to just make it a third film several years after the second where the originals are retired or something.

If their going to make another ghostbusters with an all new cast it had better not just be gender swapped versions of the originals and it should be a new story don't just rehash it like the second film essentially did

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm not sure how I feel about race flipping or gender flipping as a gimmick. It always feels exploitative to me if not outright sexist/racist.

But I suppose I'm in the minority on that opinion. Either way, hopefully the movie is good.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
8bitOwl said:
DrOswald said:
8bitOwl said:
Pinky said:
8bitOwl said:
Adam Jensen said:
Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.

NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it?
So just because she has sex appeal you want to ignore she has starred in a lot of successful comedies?

"Starring in a comedy" is most certainly not equivalent to "being good at comedy". She sucks as an actress in general, and I doubt she's suddenly a talented comedian.

I would also argue she doesn't have real sex appeal, either.
Scarlett Johansson does not have real sex appeal? I know this is kind of derailing, but I just have to know how you come up with that one.

It's the same exact reason Justin Bieber or Britney Spears do not have sex appeal. You know they're shown as perfectly attractive, with perfect physical features (for their audience at least). But you can't help but be disgusted by them. Because they don't have real sex appeal; they just have the pre-made image of what sex appeal should be.

She still is a crap actress.
I don't agree with that, but I can see where you are coming from. It is a matter of opinion, so I guess we are just going to have to disagree on this one.

Also, I do think she can act, but she isn't great. She is passable from what I have seen.

But I absolutely do agree that she should not be in this movie. She is all wrong for the every man feel that was so much part of the original trio. Way to hot to be an every woman, and I doubt she could carry the part if they dressed her down. You get Scarlett Johansson because people like me love to drool over her. At least half of her asking price is for her body.

Ten Foot Bunny said:
I really hope they aren't just looking at women known for comedy. This project would be far more interesting with wild-card actresses who are so versatile that they can pull off the amazing range of emotions that epitomizes the first Ghostbusters movie (I do like the second one, but it feels more like slapstick compared to the original). Ghostbusters isn't just FUNNY, but it has this dark and disturbing undercurrent in which you never know if - or when - one of the characters is going to lapse into complete madness.

To put this another way: do you want Ghostbusters to be like an episode of Parks and Recreation, or do you want four quirky badasses trying to save the world from plunging into Hell at the hands of Zuul and her puppies?

Think about it...

To put this a third way: I still want to see Emma Watson and Christina Ricci as Ghostbusters.
Ghostbusters has the classic comedy trio: The strait man, the goofy one, the wild card. Emma would work well for the strait man, Tina Fey for the goofy one, and some unknown actress for the wild card.

I just really hope they don't get 3 supermodels and put them in skin tight bodysuits. So much of the appeal of the original ghost busters was in the every man feel the main three brought to the table. Emma would be fine if they don't play up her beauty too much. Tina Fey fits right in with that feel. Not sure on a third.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'm worried.

Depending on the cast this could either be great or a trainwreck.

.....Bloody hell, there's an obvious statement eh?

Lupine

Apr 26, 2014
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
If it's funny, it's funny. That's all there is to say.

The director and writer both scare me a bit since I dislike their films. Also I agree with the person a little above on Mellisa McCarthy. She is brutally unfunny to me and I hope she isn't in it. Tina Fey is a pretty good choice though. On the subject of Parks and Rec I think Amy Poehler could also pull off this kind of comedy.

The sad part is that it won't be judged on its on merits by either extreme side of the debate. If it's good, the one side will say it's terrible and is only being hyped because of political correctness or some such nonsense, and conversely if it sucks, the other side will say something dumb like its only being hated on because of lonely nerds and angry men.
Honestly I'm down for Tina Fey in this. I feel like she would be a good choice for a character that can do both Egon techi-tomfoolery and also Venkman straight man/silliness. As for Mellisa McCarthy, I'm going to say that I am also not really a fan and yeah I hope the tone isn't in line with her recent work. No thanks really. Also hopefully no Sarah Silverman.

If I'm thinking of cast members, I vote for Elizabeth Banks.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I really don't see the need for this. It can't even be called inclusivity because women star in movies all the time. It just seems very, very odd that they would do this instead of adding a female ghostbuster, or even two. I believe the proper word is "forced".

Panda Pandemic

Aug 25, 2014
Skeptical of it. Unsure if it will live up to the original. Kind of hard to reboot and not disappoint with a movie like Ghostbusters I think. Makes me think of the Pink Panther reboot that I was disappointed in.

Still, if I hear it's good I'll go see it.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
aceman67 said:
RA92 said:
As long as they keep Melissa McCarthy the fuck out.
And how far did you have to walk to get to the left field that little tid-bit came out of? If your only reasoning for her not being included is her weight, shame on you sir, because she is a damn funny lady.
No. Melissa McCarthy is a fat lady who thinks her obesity makes what she does funny. She wants to be Chris Farley, not realizing that the only thing that made Farley funny was his insane over-acting of every scene and the severe intensity with which he over-acted every scene. She is a lazy Chris Farley at best, and everyone knows that Kevin James is already a lazy Chris Farley, and that is why HE isn't funny either.

She is a terrible actress, with terrible delivery and no comedic timing. She is every kind of useless in a comedy setting, and just terrible at acting in general.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
You know, I could totally see this being great. Thinking about it, Melissa McCarthy is funny when we aren't just rehashing the whole "oh look at how fat she is but she is still crazy" shit. I think if you put her in the Dan Akroid role (Its been forever since I've watched the movie) she could really shine. I'm not ready to declare this a sunk ship like some of you guys seem to be doing, but I'm not going to get super hyped. Gender swap can be funny if done right, so lets see how it all shakes out.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
I'm all in for this. My dream team:

Kristen Wiig, Heather Anne Campbell, Sarah Silverman, and Tea Leoni

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
erttheking said:
A one gender team? You mean like the original one?

OT: little concerned about Hollywood fucking this up. Hope they don't.
Yep, an all male team for the new one would also be disappointing and be skeptical. The original ones were made in the 80s, different time so you've got to have different expectations. At the end of the day as long as the team has good chemistry that's what matters, but having an all male, or all female or all any other thing team reduces the chances since it's lacking the diversity.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
8bitOwl said:
NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it? Look at the original Ghostbusters. But of course, women can't be funny, they need to be, first and foremost, sexy.
Sure, because someone can't like Scarlett Johansson for more reasons than just her face, tits, and ass. Give me a break. The guy even said outright that he's enjoyed her in more comedy oriented roles and you come out with this garbage about how he must be suggesting her because she's pretty. Just because you disagree with him doesn't justify taking the conversation in the direction you did. Truly sad if you ask me.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
So is this going to have a female Egon, female Spangler, etc. or totally different characters? If totally different characters, why not just call it Ghostbusters 3?

Anyway, I could really care less if they're doing an all-female, all-midget, or all paraplegic reboot, I'm not keen on this because I thought "Bridesmaids" was incredibly overrated and not nearly as funny as people made it out to be. And as much as I love "Parks and Recreation", to me the tone of that show and the tone of "Ghostbusters" are really different from one another, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm going to withhold an opinion until I know for sure who's cast in it, and if this is a complete reboot or a "soft" one that's still a sequel to the first two. Also, Bob, don't think I didn't notice the SEXISM tag at the bottom.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i know nothing about the movie and I'm already cringing take that any way you will but not as sexist