All male Fox News panel freak out over the numbers of women providing the main income in households

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Right now my wife isn't working, as she is going through nursing school, but as soon as she is a nurse, she will make more than I do as a paramedic (with two jobs). I can't wait for her to be making that much money. I couldn't care which one of us is making the money, as long as we can support our family.

These guys are idiots (obviously). Who cares? Really? Why should anyone care, other than the fact it doesn't fit into the old '50s way of seeing things.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
I would like to say, don't worry, these old farts and their ideals will die off soon enough. Unfortunately, these old farts are the types to beat their ideals into their children. With a 9-iron if necessary.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
Alarien said:
The Baby Boomers are -to put it simply- a pretty fucking stupid generation. These last twenty years have really showed us their true colors. As it stands right now, we're just waiting for this generation to die out. Give us a few decades and America might make it all up.

Or we'll get worse. Who knows.
Honestly, I agree that the Baby Boomers are a pack of drooling idiots.
Let's be fair, they're not all bad.

Al Gore is a pretty decent guy, as far as I'm aware.
That's the worst part about it. Much the way Faux News and its followers reflect on the rest of the US, those people also reflect on Baby Boomers who aren't sexist, racist patriarchal assholes.
My father is waiting for his own generation to die so that his children's generation can finally move forward (he has told me as much). I can't imagine how that feels.

I kind of wish I could talk to those... anchors... face to face. I can point to the changes in our culture and our economy that have put so many women in a position to be the primary breadwinner for their families. I could talk for hours about our economic transition to a service culture and the disenfranchisement of those who are culturally encouraged to manufacture, repair, or maintain things that have become disposable imports for the sake of bottom-line profit. The irony inherent in the values these idiots espouse will never cease to astound me.

Or maybe I'm just bitter, as one of the disenfranchised. Oh sure, I could get a job in manufacturing, put my many technical skills to use outside of my hobbies... for about ten bucks an hour. Instead I stand around in a uniform with a pistol in evidence on my hip to make people think twice about robbing my employers for... considerably more.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
A lot of people on this site argue about how there's no sexism in the workplace and women get less pay because of 'life choices'. No, old people like this are the reason. People born in the 40's and 50's are still in charge of a lot of companies.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
Lilani said:
Nantucket said:
I believe women are dominant because raising a family has to be one of the hardest things you'll ever do in life.
Men swan off to work everyday thus leaving the woman alone with a temperamental human being. You don't stop - they are demanding little cretins from dawn until dusk.

I don't see any shame in a woman's expected role in life.
If she wants something more then all the best. But maintaining a household, working on a marriage (which isn't easy! I've seen my parents fight, struggle and cry) and raising children to be acceptable people of society is not easy.
There's one other thing I'd like to point out, and I'm quoting you to make sure the message gets through because editing doesn't always work.

I want you to think about what you're saying, here. Like, really hard. You are saying that another human being should live the life they want because you have decided that what you want for them is more important. That human being has plans for themself, they want to go in a certain direction and live their life a certain way. Just like you. But that person is just a bit different from you, and that is just enough for you to feel they just aren't worthy of chasing that dream.

You want women to give up their ambitions and not live the lives they choose for themselves because you think the most they can contribute to the world is popping out babies. That is absurd. That is vile. That is obscene. You do not tell another human what they can and can't do. End of story. The only way you can believe you have any authority to tell women what they are and aren't best suited for is if you think they are naturally subservient to you. So if you reply to either post I've made to you, let it be this one. And respond in one of two ways. You can tell me that women are inferior to men, are unable to choose for themselves the lives they should lead and so need men to get them pregnant so they always have something to do. Or, you can tell me that you were wrong and that women deserve the same level of human dignity and autonomy as anyone else on God's green earth.

And don't fucking tell me having a kid is the hardest thing I'll ever do. I know plenty of single moms who are doing just fine because their baby-daddies either ran off or got themselves thrown in jail. Where I'm standing, that shit's pretty easy. It's convincing stubborn fuckers like you that I deserve to do what I want regardless of the presence of my vagina that seems to be an insurmountable task.
I am afraid that is some way: you did misquote me.
I have stated throughout this forum that if women do not want to have children and be the primary caregiver then good on them. There is no issue here. I plan to pursue my own career.

I am pursuing my own career.

However, when the time comes and I settle down I will need to make a decision when it comes to my children. I will probably quite work and conform.

I'm not telling anyone how anybody should live. I am stating my opinion and I'm sorry if you find it obscene but please read this again: I AM NOT FORCING IT ON ANYONE. I STATED PREVIOUSLY THAT IF YOU WISH TO PURSUE A CAREER WITH CHILDREN THEN GREAT. Me? I'd raise my family.

Also, I like how you decide to insult me just because you disagree with me.
Very mature.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
dfphetteplace said:
These guys are idiots (obviously). Who cares? Really? Why should anyone care, other than the fact it doesn't fit into the old '50s way of seeing things.
In of themselves, those people aren't anything to be concerned about, but they have hordes of like-minded people listening to what they say. Those are a worry.

Exasperating/amusing (more the first) to see people slowly realise that sexism actually does exist.

Cap:nice job

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
CNN had an opinion piece on this too

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/30/opinion/drexler-women-breadwinners/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

It DOES bring up that in relationships where the woman is the primary earner, the men are more likely to be depressed caused by their diminished status in the relationship. Still that is a speedbump that will just have to be worked through.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ryotknife said:
CNN had an opinion piece on this too

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/30/opinion/drexler-women-breadwinners/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

It DOES bring up that in relationships where the woman is the primary earner, the men are more likely to be depressed caused by their diminished status in the relationship. Still that is a speedbump that will just have to be worked through.
Well that article comes across as more "This is kind of a social issue that may or not be the result of breaking away from more traditional roles, but proper communication and healthy decision making can help overcome this problem."

As opposed to Fox News, which is more like "TEH WOMEZ ARE TAKING OUR JOBZ! TEH WOMEZ NEEDZ TU STAY AT HOMEZ! IT'Z IN OUR BIOLOGY!"

In other words CNN is ok with the concept but pointing out that there are some growing pains that come along with it, while Fox News is still stuck in the 1950s

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Nantucket said:
I am afraid that is some way: you did misquote me.
I have stated throughout this forum that if women do not want to have children and be the primary caregiver then good on them. There is no issue here. I plan to pursue my own career.

I am pursuing my own career.

However, when the time comes and I settle down I will need to make a decision when it comes to my children. I will probably quite work and conform.

I'm not telling anyone how anybody should live. I am stating my opinion and I'm sorry if you find it obscene but please read this again: I AM NOT FORCING IT ON ANYONE. I STATED PREVIOUSLY THAT IF YOU WISH TO PURSUE A CAREER WITH CHILDREN THEN GREAT. Me? I'd raise my family.

Also, I like how you decide to insult me just because you disagree with me.
Very mature.
It wasn't very mature, but I still find the sentiment very insulting. That you consider it our "expected" role in life, that somehow by not choosing that I am abnormal and am not fully using my capabilities as a woman. That one is lesser for it, and also that men are somehow ill-equipped to do so. Trying to think of it that way just makes me feel even less like having children. If there's any shame in it, it's the shame of putting myself in a situation similar to those who feel a woman has any sort of inherent duty to give up on everything she desires to raise a kid, and that men do not have a similar duty, and that for some arbitrary reason the two aren't allowed to trade roles. The very thought of such a thing makes me resentful of a possible future with children.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
'MERICA FUCK YEAH!

What I want to know is why are there so many people online who support it (regarding the second link)? Since when did reactionaries use the internet, I thought they were still caught in the "golden-age" of the 50s....

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Fox news, embarrassing thinking conservatives 24/7. In their mindless babbling, though, they do hit on at least one legitimate point. The family dynamic has been breaking apart across America, and it has some nasty consequences, such as a severe lack of empathy compared to our previous culture.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
It's true, society as we know it is falling apart. Women earning more than men....it's unnatural! Will they ever be satisfied? I mean what'll be next for these people?

The vote?

Fair and equal character representation in games?

We should never have taught them how to read lads....

The world is fucked.

On a more serious note Fox must have a working time machine because these guys are obviously from the 1940's.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Eddie the head said:
The first guy said 4 out of 10 households rather then just reducing it tow 2 out of 5. Is basic math that hard? Why is that the thing I notice the most?
Meh. Reduction is over-rated.

A ratio out of ten can actually be more useful sometimes anyway. Also depends on what you're comparing it to.

For instance, some common screen aspect ratios:

4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 16:10

But would it not be easier to relate these together if they shared a common unit?
4:3 is 16:12, after all...

And let's not even start on the whole 2.21 ultra-widescreen thing... ;p

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
BiscuitTrouser said:
Darken12 said:
This my favourite brand of anti-feminism, the kind that mangles my very profession and passion to justify itself.
Anti-science has to be one of my most hated phrases ever and dammit i feel your pain.

Anti science is a hatred of looking, recording, being vigorous and asking questions.

Anything outside of those things that a person takes issue with is anti YOU and you need to deal with it.

I hate the way people try and push personal agendas with biology. Biology doesnt ever freaking declare people SHOULD and thus AUGHT to act a certain way based on gender, height, race or sexuality. At best it predicts how people MIGHT behave and what they MIGHT do and even then a lot is based on a savage evolutionary past spanning millions of years which has now been extremely briefly molded by 3000 years worth of cultural teachings and civilizations.
Pretty much. I can ignore prejudice, racism, anti-feminism, homophobia and the like, but what it always gets me is when they cite things they don't even understand to justify their points.

I wish that we implemented a system whereby before you can use the word "natural" or "biology" or "science" in your argument, you're required to thoroughly describe the function of the cytochrome P450 or how to retrosynthesise 3,4-dihydro-1(2H)-naphthalenone from benzene.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
In other news; the sky is blue and Fox news is still staffed by Howler Monkies. Seriously is Fox "News" just a troll on the rest of the world to make Americans look really stupid, so when we drop our guard, BAM WORLD INVASION. Welcome to planet, AMERICA!... fuck yeah.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
These guys are freaking out? I'd hope and pray that the woman in my life makes more than me. I'm going to be a teacher, that 'aint exactly the most profitable job in the world.

Maybe I think it's normal because even now my mom makes most of the money, and when I was little my dad was stay-at-home looking after me. They're around the same age as these guys, 60+. I don't know what these peoples' problem is.