Amazon Declares Diablo III Its Most Preordered PC Game Ever

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'm interested in the game despite the online DRM and cash shop (neither of which should affect me too much, as I always have an internet connection and I don't plan on touching the cash shop), but I think I'll wait for it to come out and get reviewed first.

Blizzard usually makes good games though, so I'm sure it'll turn out well.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
MetallicaRulez0 said:
People "taking a stand" against DRM are hilarious. It's an online game, therefore it requires a connection. SHOCKING!

Should it have an offline mode as well? Probably. Is it the end of the world "Oh my God this changes my opinion of the game entirely" sort of issue? Not even close.
You. You feel the way I do. Let's create a bonfire and dance around it and spit on people who don't feel the same way!

. . .I don't know where that came from. Anyway, I don't get why this is such a big deal but companies steadfastly refusing to heed the call of security experts to beef up the places where they store things like, you know, personal information and credit card numbers goes off like a shameful . . .er, I should probably stop there.

And don't get me started on facebook, which. . .hm, yeah.

My biggest issue with D3 is the limited party size. There are TOO MANY people I want to play with, and so few slots. With a limited time to play, it's going to get messy.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
UnderGlass said:
Yeah me too. I love Diablo and I've essentially been waiting for this game for a decade now and you just can't maintain or live up to that kind of hype. My friend confirmed my fears when he played the Beta. He said Character creation seemed to be scaled back...no idea why they would go for that in a game like Diablo.

It seems a little lifeless to me aswell, not sure why. Art style is just...underwhelming I guess.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
MetallicaRulez0 said:
GeorgW said:
I was hoping that people would take a stand against their always on DRM bullshit, but I should have known better. Hopefully it'll be good, personally I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.
People "taking a stand" against DRM are hilarious. It's an online game, therefore it requires a connection. SHOCKING!

Should it have an offline mode as well? Probably. Is it the end of the world "Oh my God this changes my opinion of the game entirely" sort of issue? Not even close.
Well, there are other things I don't like about the game from what I've seen, the DRM is just the worst. The thing is, with this DRM there arise a whole lot of trouble, such as no mods or maps, which was a big part of Diablo 2. To add to that my and many other's internet connection isn't all that stable, which of course makes the game pretty much unplayable. So yeah, it's a big deal.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
Hammeroj said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:

It requires a connection because Blizzard wants to control their customers more, for whatever reasons. There's nothing that makes it any more of an "online game" than D2 was on any significant level. Maybe it's shocking because there isn't anything that screams "online only"? Where the hell do you think the outrage came from, butthurt pirates?

It may not be an issue for you. But for everyone who:
A) Doesn't have a stable internet;
B) Lives in shitty (as far as this issue goes) places like Australia;
C) Wants to play outside of the comfort of their house;
this is potentially an issue, and potentially a big one.

Now I've said this before numerous times. You're not obliged to be outraged at the DRM, hell, you're not even obliged to care about other people having problems with it. But don't marginalize the issue just because it doesn't affect you.
Whatever reasons? Wanting to create a more stable and secure environment is the reason. Not every company is out to diabolically control their users.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Didn't like the D3 demo much at all with the virtually game-breaking teleporting enemies and lag, that was.easily the biggest deal breaker for me.

Not surprised this is the biggest pre-order for Amazon though, it's not on Steam after all and was the cheapest outlet excluding supermarkets.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
freakonaleash said:
Hammeroj said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:

It requires a connection because Blizzard wants to control their customers more, for whatever reasons. There's nothing that makes it any more of an "online game" than D2 was on any significant level. Maybe it's shocking because there isn't anything that screams "online only"? Where the hell do you think the outrage came from, butthurt pirates?

Now I've said this before numerous times. You're not obliged to be outraged at the DRM, hell, you're not even obliged to care about other people having problems with it. But don't marginalize the issue just because it doesn't affect you.
Whatever reasons? Wanting to create a more stable and secure environment is the reason. Not every company is out to diabolically control their users.
But this is Activision we are talking about, of course they want to control their users.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Mr.Amakir said:
freakonaleash said:
Hammeroj said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:

But this is Activision we are talking about, of course they want to control their users.
No, this is is Blizzard we are talkin about.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Crono1973 said:
....and Blizzard is rewarded for their always online DRM and real money auction house. How many companies will follow suit?
Hopefully a lot, the RMAH may be the best thing that has ever happened to gamers!
Whether I make $0.00 or $20.00 a year for casually playing a video game, it's all win.

On topic, I'm extremely surprised to see this. I knew Diablo 3 was big, but I just assumed that over %50 of it's player base already got the game for free through WoW. Didn't expect Amazon to do so well off of pre-orders.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I won't be getting it. Not only does my internet randomly disconnect for days at a time, I found the closed beta (I was in it for months) to be extraordinarily laggy and severely boring.

It really saddens me the game has so many pre-orders.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
TheBobmus said:
Eh, give me some reviews first. Not on board the hype train at all.
Ditto, and I really enjoyed the first 2 Diablo games. Diablo III, not feeling the love. I'll wait for reviews from actual players, and not the Payola crew. If it lives up to the hype, then I'll consider it. Still looking forward to Guild Wars 2 more.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Crushing disappointment for all the good little boys and girls!

(Cynical? Moi? Well, we'll see.)

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
This will shortly be followed up by another achievement "Most PC players disappointed in a game at one time ever."

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
As if it wasn't obvious that this game is gonna be bigger than CoD,let's be serious now :p.

Myself,I will get it from annual pass of course so I can play earlier with a few hours(can install the game on the 14th and play it at midnight).I also preordered the Collector's Edition that is coming on the 16th if I can recall correctly.

I got my Steelseries Diablo 3 Mouse,QCK Barbarian Limited edition mouse pad and drinks/food and I'm all good to go once the game launches.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
babinro said:
Crono1973 said:
....and Blizzard is rewarded for their always online DRM and real money auction house. How many companies will follow suit?
Hopefully a lot, the RMAH may be the best thing that has ever happened to gamers!
Whether I make $0.00 or $20.00 a year for casually playing a video game, it's all win.

On topic, I'm extremely surprised to see this. I knew Diablo 3 was big, but I just assumed that over %50 of it's player base already got the game for free through WoW. Didn't expect Amazon to do so well off of pre-orders.
Why is the RMAH the best thing that ever happened to gamers? Do you intend to turn playing games from a hobby into a business?

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
Crono1973 said:
babinro said:
Crono1973 said:

Why is the RMAH the best thing that ever happened to gamers? Do you intend to turn playing games from a hobby into a business?
You either earn $0 if you have no luck with loot, or get something. IF you are going to be playing 24/7 already anyways due to addiction. Why not make money. There is no downside. The black market exists anyways. Think of the RMAH as any futures exchange. It reduces counter party risk.

Also drugs should be legalised.