Amazon Declares Diablo III Its Most Preordered PC Game Ever

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
This will shortly be followed up by another achievement "Most PC players disappointed in a game at one time ever."
Or record number of eggs in Naysayer's faces?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
JoelChenFA said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
This will shortly be followed up by another achievement "Most PC players disappointed in a game at one time ever."
Or record number of eggs in Naysayer's faces?
It wouldn't bother me. I really really wanted to like Diablo 3 but after playing it for awhile, it sucked too hard to possibly like it. I'd love if Blizzard patched it to the point it existed as a game, instead of just as a means to gouge people for money.
Blizzard is a company with many awful business practices but unlike EA and Activision, everyone sucks them off at every opportunity. Blizzard can do no wrong.
I was a Blizzard customer for a long time but lately, what once was a trusted company for me, now I view with incredible caution and wariness.
We'll see if they can turn it around but I definitely won't be buying any of their products as a knee jerk reaction.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah, good thing I have to wait for a few months until I can play it.

They better have lots of backup servers on hold, otherwise this is going to be a disaster.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for the reminder, got my copy now :D

antipunt said:
But...like...everyone's brother's sister's landlord's pet cat is playing it. I'll be missing out skype moments with friends, it'd be a travesty
I am actually paying 60 bucks for something similar. Not for the game or even the friends, but because i am curious about the social aspect and how will people react to this enviroment.

The game with no LAN and overpriced real money services seems indeed a little underwhelming.

icnfde

Dec 27, 2007
Uhhh yeah you would hope it would be the most pre-ordered PC game considering Blizzard practically gave the pre-orders away to everybody who re-subbed for WoW MoP...

That's just as bad as the people claiming that Wii Sports is the most successful selling game of all time because every Wii shipped with it (people in the mainstream media actually said this).

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
DAMNIT!

There are only so many hours in a day.
Now I have to split them between WoW, Starcraft 2 AND Diablo 3.

I should be getting days off for this.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
icnfde said:
Uhhh yeah you would hope it would be the most pre-ordered PC game considering Blizzard practically gave the pre-orders away to everybody who re-subbed for WoW MoP...

That's just as bad as the people claiming that Wii Sports is the most successful selling game of all time because every Wii shipped with it (people in the mainstream media actually said this).
It doesn't include those figures.
Like the artical said, these are just the Amazon pre-sales.

Not the Battle.net store, not the retail stores, just Amazon.

Valorik

Mar 19, 2009
It's unsurprising it has more preorders than a game like say Skyrim on amazon, since for one thing, it's not available from digital distributors besides first party at Blizzards own website. I think if there were more places to purchase it wouldn't be running so high.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
GoaThief said:
Didn't like the D3 demo much at all with the virtually game-breaking teleporting enemies and lag, that was.easily the biggest deal breaker for me.

Not surprised this is the biggest pre-order for Amazon though, it's not on Steam after all and was the cheapest outlet excluding supermarkets.
You do realize the beta was hosted on ONE single server, likely not even one in your region, for over 2 million people. Lag won't be an issue once it goes live.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The hilarious thing is that you have to have a constant broadband connection to play it. You can pre download it onto your machine right now, it's PC only and yet we still have to wait for the retail release?

WAT. The silliness, it burns.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Valorik said:
It's unsurprising it has more preorders than a game like say Skyrim on amazon, since for one thing, it's not available from digital distributors besides first party at Blizzards own website. I think if there were more places to purchase it wouldn't be running so high.
I think it's not so much that it's not available elsewhere, but that the places it is available are insanely overpriced. Seriously, it's £15 cheaper for me to get a physical disc in a physical box driven to me in a van burning diesel by someone being paid a salary than it is to simply download it, and it's still available to play at exactly the same time. Why would anyone be stupid enough to pay 50% extra for no benefit whatsoever? Digital distribution is great for the convenience it offers, for the generally lower prices, and for the ease of keeping older games available. Take those benefits away and of course people are just going to order from Amazon instead.

As for all the hate, I just don't get it. If you don't like the game, don't play it. Simple as that. Other people do like the game and want to play it. Why exactly is this a problem? There are lots of games that I either have no interest in or have tried and actively disliked. I don't feel the need to wander the internet shouting abuse at everyone who enjoyed them, I just play other games.

Mythic Falcon

Mar 5, 2012
After playing the beta I just lost all interest. It wasn't even the bugs and lag that got to me, because I am aware that those are always issues that are going to come up in a beta. It is the game itself. I did not feel fear.

Playing Diablo I and II, I would travel into the deepest dungeons and caves, slowly making my way through the almost pitch black darkness, when suddenly out of nowhere I would be swamped by a horde of skeletons and imps trying to tear the flesh from my bones. I would fight for survival, barely making my way through and crawling to safety with the help of my last town portal scroll. In D3, I could waltz into a basement or a cave and immediately see where all the enemies were and the art style did nothing to help. They have WoW'd the graphics and I no longer find the monsters scary.

In the previous games, the enemy animations and art gave me chills. I remember the little shamans that move lightning fast, jumping all over the place. The vultures swamping me throughout the desert with their weird heads. Something about the stuttering, staccato movements and attacks were what enthralled me. D3 doesn't have that feel. It's like WoW, just from a top-down isometric-style and without dwarves. That doesn't really appeal to me.

Perhaps it's just me, but the DRM and RMAH are just two things that don't draw me to the game, the real problem is that it no longer feels like Diablo to me.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
I'm one of the Amazon pre-orders. Very excited to finally play the full version. Played the beta several times over with different classes and was generally very pleased. Love the art style, don't need another generic-looking Titan's Quest out there. And they finally got rid of attribute points. Dumbest feature of all Diablo games and I'm glad they realized their error.

Gonna go Wizard first then probably Monk. Might try out an HC character too.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
I'm going for it. I don't care about the DRM. I understand why they would want it with a REAL cash money auction house. I also don't ever plan to play it except with friends so no skin off my nose.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Mythic Falcon said:
After playing the beta I just lost all interest. It wasn't even the bugs and lag that got to me, because I am aware that those are always issues that are going to come up in a beta. It is the game itself. I did not feel fear.

Playing Diablo I and II, I would travel into the deepest dungeons and caves, slowly making my way through the almost pitch black darkness, when suddenly out of nowhere I would be swamped by a horde of skeletons and imps trying to tear the flesh from my bones. I would fight for survival, barely making my way through and crawling to safety with the help of my last town portal scroll. In D3, I could waltz into a basement or a cave and immediately see where all the enemies were and the art style did nothing to help. They have WoW'd the graphics and I no longer find the monsters scary.

In the previous games, the enemy animations and art gave me chills. I remember the little shamans that move lightning fast, jumping all over the place. The vultures swamping me throughout the desert with their weird heads. Something about the stuttering, staccato movements and attacks were what enthralled me. D3 doesn't have that feel. It's like WoW, just from a top-down isometric-style and without dwarves. That doesn't really appeal to me.

Perhaps it's just me, but the DRM and RMAH are just two things that don't draw me to the game, the real problem is that it no longer feels like Diablo to me.
Scary monsters in Diablo? Ehm. Well people have their fears i quess.
As for darkness, sure it fits into Diablo's world n' stuff, but if i wanna play dark games i just turn my monitor off. Take that for a darkness.
You could always turn your brightness into minimum, yes?

I myself loved D3 art style, it's timeless and propably will age 10x better than "realistic" graphics.

This wasn't "your opinion is wrong, mine is right". I just offered different point of view.