American Humour is Terrible

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian) for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.
your an idiot, South Park is not Canadian, Trey Parker is from Colorado, and Matt Stone is from Texas, and The Big Bang Theory does not represent american comedy, channels or time slots that specifically do comedy like Adult swim and Comedy Central are ones that can be used to judge. Judging from this thread your views are bias and prejudice in the first place, as you base your entire argument around one show in one instance (though the big bang theory is not a good show any way) And The Office is not a Bad show in the US side, its actually pretty funny, I doubt you've even watched to be Honest, and if you have then you simply didn't get do to, well you know, NOT BEING AMERICAN, its not just a re shoot of the same episodes in Britain just with american characters, it takes the basic plot setting around the office and uses that as a basis for the show, AND Britain got the Idea of the show in the first place from the US, (remember Office Space?). As for shameless I haven't even heard of the show much less seen an american re-interpretation.

More proof of your prejudice is also shown, by the way, how you look at crap that we think is also crap, and act like every one in the US likes the shows. You simply go around stating turds that came out of america and compared them to a few British shows, not only claiming that all american comedy is stupid (oh and you said that South Park is not american and credited it to Canada) but at the same time saying that British comedy is the best, you don't talk about any other foreign comedies, and only state shows from Britain.

Your prejudice dribble is fine on other forums, and in your own country, but on these forums have some respect for other countries.

(ps. I don't hate British comedies, I actually like them, better than a lot of american shows, but this does make it have the best comedies in the world. )

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
The big bang theory is one of my favorite shows, i think its hilarious........

and i find most sitcoms to be hilarious too

like how i met your mother, and two and a half men

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
seniorsharptothetouch said:
The_Emperor said:
OK
Mitch Hedberg
Doug Stanhope
Bill Hicks
Daniel Tosh
George Carlin
Russel Peters
Pablo Francisco
Louis CK
Modern Family
House (not comedy but it's funny)
Scrubs
Southpark which is american, matt and trey are from colorado.
Chris Rock
Simpsons
Futurama
Family Guy
American Dad
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Saturday Night Live
Flight of the Conchords
Metalocalypse
The Venture Brothers.

You really suck at threads and comedy.
Daniel Tosh is German, the Concords are from New Zealand, Russell Peters is Canadian, both Matt Groening and Stephen Colbert have Canadian roots (Matts Dad and Stephen's Grandma!)
Conchords is HBO (that counts as American to me since it was an American sitcom). The origin or the comic is not entirely the origin of the comedy imo. Tosh is on Comedy Central and grew up in florida, being born in Germany does not make his comedy German to me. I didnt know he was born in Germany though, thats new to me, it would be impossible to know without wikipedia.

isn't John jewish? lol. I dont think he counts as israelite comedy.

Maybe your right about Russell Peters I forgot he was canadian really but the other guys I would consider American comedy, and damn fine comedy at that!

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
Matt Oliver said:
scrubs halirous show
I'm not sure if you're intentionally typing that wrong or you really can't spell worth shit.

OT: As others have said, it's all based on opinion.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
You know what's worse? Generalizations based on two widely hated shows (of the same shitty genre). Try harder.

In the mean time, I'll be watching Arrested Development, Monty Python, and the Chasers War on Everything, not giving a single fuck what country any of them came from. Because that's silly.
I agree. I hate Ben Stiller but i don't avoid american movies because of it. I just avoid movies with him in them. And in the end no matter what country there all going to have examples of shity humor

Jamie Jacobson

Aug 4, 2011
Look I honestly don't have a problem with american comedy. However I find that there are shows out there that started of good and could have great potential but the humor and story plot dries up and they become less interesting to watch as if they had lost the spark they originally had. take South Park for Instance It started off as a great idea, it was funny and unique but now as i watch the later seasons, all they seam to do is trash everything in sight i mean isn't that the job of critics?

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
I'm sorry but I'm british and I love the Big Bang Theory and did actually laugh at that clip despite seeing it before.

Its called an opinion.

I like some english comedy too, such as the Inbetweeners, Gaving and Stacy and the IT Crowd etc. doesn't mean that American humour is awful. Its all down to opinion and taste, just like music or films or anything like that.

CaptainLoserPants

Nov 6, 2010
I'm 22 and I still laugh at shows like Adventure Time and Misadventures of Flapjack. Call me immature? Meh, whatever, as long as I'm happy and laughing, I don't care if someone finds my sense of humor immature.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
South Park is from Colorado, as I'm sure has been mentioned. But the OP is forgiven, because Brass Eye was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Same with Sacha Baron Cohen.

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Proof positive that intelligence and comedy are totally different thing that can work apart or together.

Tennou486

Dec 26, 2008
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian)
Matt and Trey are from Colorado and Texas respectively. They currently live in L.A. That's not Canada, genius.

I agree that Family Guy isn't funny, but shows like Futurama, Metalocalypse, Scrubs and Arrested Development are all great examples of American humor. Not all British comedy is gold either. I personally like Brainiac: Science Abuse (only the Richard Hammond series, that is), but I also think that the Peep Show is a waste of time (based on the episodes I've seen).

The point is that humor is different to everyone. What will make one person laugh out loud will make the next person cringe. Deal with it.

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
seniorsharptothetouch said:
The_Emperor said:
OK
Mitch Hedberg
Doug Stanhope
Bill Hicks
Daniel Tosh
George Carlin
Russel Peters
Pablo Francisco
Louis CK
Modern Family
House (not comedy but it's funny)
Scrubs
Southpark which is american, matt and trey are from colorado.
Chris Rock
Simpsons
Futurama
Family Guy
American Dad
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Saturday Night Live
Flight of the Conchords
Metalocalypse
The Venture Brothers.

You really suck at threads and comedy.
Daniel Tosh is German, the Concords are from New Zealand, Russell Peters is Canadian, both Matt Groening and Stephen Colbert have Canadian roots (Matts Dad and Stephen's Grandma!)
...Okay? Unless we're talking about Native American comedians, all American comics have roots somewhere else. Saying Stephen Colbert counts as Canadian because he has a Canadian grandma is ridiculous, especially considering that the Colbert Report is almost entirely about America.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Dr Red said:
Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch.
You could have added the Simpsons in there as well. It was once just the opposite, to. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
Oh look.

An anti american elitist individualist hipster thread that announces how much better Europe is doing compared to the states in an area according to an opinion that generalizes in several areas and ignores whole pockets of the genre....

Is it Thursday already?

On Topic: That's just your opinion. Sure there are some stupid shows, but you barely covered your reasons why American humor is apparently terrible. Have you watched John Benjamin Has a Van? It's a decent show by Funny or Die that has some great dry jokes here and there.
Or how about Regular Show? Sure, it's animated, but I find the dry and surreal humor to be very entertaining.

xplay3r

Jun 4, 2009
Is American humor terrible?
Louis? (both the show and Louis C.K.'s stand up)
Wilfred (which was a remake of an Australian show but from what i understand the original was much more sit-com-ey)
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Archer
Frisky Dingos
South Park (which IS American Matt and trey are from Colorado)
The Daily Show
Colbert Report
Arrested Development
Bored to Death
East Bound and Down
Mystery Science Theater 3000
George Carlin
Lenny Bruce
Richard Prior
Eddie Murphy
Curb your Enthusiasm
Parks and Recreation
Community
The Whitest Kids U'Know
Kids in the Hall
Blues Brothers
Cone heads
Dave Chappelle (both stand up and his show)
Lewis Black
John Capurulo
Terry Gilliam (Yeah one of the python members WAS American)
ANY Mel Brooks movie
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Mad Magazine (the magazine not the show)
Doug Stanhope
Patton Oswald
Leslie Neilson
Daniel Tosh
Bill Hicks
Zack Galifinakis
the Big Lebowski
Burn After Reading
Scrubs
The Tick
Sam Kinson
RENO 911!
David Cross
Penn & Teller
Clerks
Mallrats
Black Dynamite
Pixar Films
Zombieland
Movie Bob
That Guy with the Glasses
XKCD
Bo Burnham

Hmm....Maybe your right.

Now I'm not saying I don't like British comedies. in fact I LOVE British comedy one of my favorite shows of all time is Spaced. I love Shaun of the dead and hot fuzz. I love the IT crowd and doctor who (which isn't REALLY a comedy but its funny sometimes) i LOVE Monty Python.

Shows like the big bag theory and Two and a Half Men are aimed at the broadest demographic. Like Movie Bob says, people like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. It's fluff it's just a quick dollar. not all American humor is like that just the cash grab, shotgun demo, crappy, primetime, fluff is like that.

Don't generalize like that. It's like saying everyone under the age of 18 like Justin Beiber or Lady Gaga. It's simply not true. There are a lot who do. but there are also A LOT who don't.

P.S. Feel free to tell me if you think I missed something on my list.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Brit humor is only funny the first time, then gets weird...cause they can't even spell the word right

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Intelligence isn't necessary for humour. If it makes someone laugh, it succeeds in being funny.

Getting a few shows and calling them more intelligent than other shows doesn't mean that suddenly an entire country is void of being funny.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Let me just leave this here, it explains my thoughts.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Bigotry.
When will everyone learn to hate everyone and everything equally? That way we can only give each thing or person a little bit of our hate, so that we can only hate each other a little bit, and not for being what we are but simply being.
Have a good day TheYellowCellPhone. I hate you. ;)