American Humour is Terrible

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Dr Red said:
voetballeeuw said:
Other people like American humor. It's called an opinion. You're not right, and neither are they.
My point is that the jokes involved are less intelligent than those in British shows. Go watch Peep Show. That is genius. Compare it to any widely viewed American comedy show. I'm not arguing which is subjectively better, I'm arguing that British comedy is more intelligent. Please read my post and understand it before replying.
Ever watched a Judd Apatow movie (Superbad, Knocked up, 40 Year old Virgin etc.)? Almost all the jokes in those are really witty and intelligently written. And I'm British so it's not as if I'm defending my own country here.

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
godofallu said:
For a second there the OP almost made me hate British people. Then I realized that I can't think all British people are lack-witted simpletons just because one is.
This this this soooo much. As an America, I kinda find the OP's remarks offensive. People's taste in comedy varies. Just because you didn't laugh at it doesn't make it "unintelligent". Also, South Park is American, and not very funny IN MY OPINION. Just because I don't laugh at it doesn't mean I have to go on a forum and stereotype an entire fucking nation as boring dumbasses. You can't really argue that some comedy is better than others, because different people laugh at different things.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
You know what's worse? Generalizations based on two widely hated shows (of the same shitty genre). Try harder.

In the mean time, I'll be watching Arrested Development, Monty Python, and the Chasers War on Everything, not giving a single fuck what country any of them came from. Because that's silly.
^This
If the show is good watch it. If its bad then dont

Dec 27, 2010
The truth of the matter is that you only seem to be examining sit-coms, which inevitably will result with the conclusion that the sit-coms from Britain are better. But not all American humor is awful. I'm not going to say it's better because it's subjective, but don't respond to that by saying that I got it wrong, that your saying it's not as intelligent, because;
a) You're generalizing multiple mediums from multiple nations, therefore you're wrong.
b) The thread's title is "American Humour is Terrible".

Anyway, in terms of sit-coms, nothing will top Father Ted, and because of that Ireland has better humor than every other nation in the world.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
First: Humor is subjective. I highly doubt you have seen any American tv programs.
Second:
I love how a thread like this can stay open for so long. I bet if someone made one with the EXACT same title only it said "British Humor" It would be shut down and the poster would would be banned or suspended.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Just throwing it out there, I haven't seen a British comedy show that I have enjoyed since Month Python. I've seen some amazing comics, read witty commentaries, but no TV shows. The first Red Dwarf episode was one of the worst attempts at humor I can remember, and nothing about it seemed intelligent.

Some shows I do like are How I Met Your Mother, The Simpsons, Futurama, Psych, Archer, and Big Bang Theory (mostly because I enjoy how Sheldon reacts).

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. That shit is golden.

And, actually, it IS your sense of humor. You're basically taking your opinion and trying to make it fact.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
It's unfair to generalise and say "American humour is bad" when what you really mean is "lowest common denominator American sitcoms are generally bad". I can point to plenty of periods in history where the wit and humour in American film and TV far exceeded its competitors for the most part. Need I remind you that Britain has its fair share of lowest common denominator garbage that somehow lasted forever? An awful lot of British sitcoms in the '60s and '70s were just about how many references you could make to your naughty bits or how many things that sounded like rude words you could say.

So, yeah, both sides of the Atlantic have produced rubbish that's meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator and that doesn't have much if any merit as comedy, in my opinion. For every American sitcom that thinks just being random or obnoxious is funny, you have a Britcom that's just about putting on a lower-class accent and talking about breasts.

Although, I must admit, it does irk me that America canceled great comedies like Police Squad! and Arrested Development for being too witty. If you ever need evidence that network executives think you're an idiot, it's that; when they cancel shows on the grounds that they think viewers are too dumb to pay attention or get the jokes.

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
I would say there is alot more inuntillegent and just plan not funny humour from America than any other country (most of it from those dreamfull sitcoms), but to say all of it is bad is a massive overstatment.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
godofallu said:
For a second there the OP almost made me hate British people. Then I realized that I can't think all British people are lack-witted simpletons just because one is.
Nah i agree with you, while most american humour is shit (Two and a half men, big bang theory) There are still just as many good shows as in britain

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Personally i think Family Guy is bloody hilarious, albiet a lot of the jokes aren't exactly high-brow. Someone also implied that Futurama's a very funny show- i beg to differ. I love Futurama, but at best the show makes me chuckle. Family Guy has me laughing my ass off.

I have also come across some pretty funny American stand-up comedians, Reginald D Hunter comes to mind, he's done live shows in the UK.

Americans can be funny of course, like any nationality- personally though i think Britain and Ireland does humour better though. :p

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
Dr Red said:
voetballeeuw said:
Other people like American humor. It's called an opinion. You're not right, and neither are they.
My point is that the jokes involved are less intelligent than those in British shows. Go watch Peep Show. That is genius. Compare it to any widely viewed American comedy show. I'm not arguing which is subjectively better, I'm arguing that British comedy is more intelligent. Please read my post and understand it before replying.
What about the Colbert Report or the Daily Show? Those both have intelligent jokes. Perhaps an expansion of the concept of American humor would help. Just a suggestion.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian) for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.
I respectfully disagree. I really like The Big Bang Theory, though the new series is lackluster. Friends can die in a pit of fire though. Actually, not die. Suffer for eternity.
I hate that show.

Anyway, I still think that this is a matter of opinion more than anything else, I don't like The Office and Shameless, so there you go.
British comedy sitcoms peaked at Blackadder, for me. I have yet to find something that I enjoy more than that.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
Brit humor is only funny the first time, then gets weird...cause they can't even spell the word right
well its only spelt right your way if you pronounce it hyoom-or (trying to spell the sounds :p) which is just wrong

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
I'm a Brit myself and so should naturally be biased
but i have to disagree with you my friend
Just because some American comedy is crap doesn't mean they all are

I know us British fellows like to gloat about our 'Blackadders' and 'Fawlty towers's' and other widely loved shows
But for every 'Father Ted' and 'Red Dwarf' theres 50 'Two pints of Lager and a packet of crisps's'

America is no different. 'Scrubs' for example is one of the funniest sitcoms i've ever seen
same goes for 'My name is earl' in fact

i'm just saying you probably shouldn't tar everything with the same brush

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Nickolai77 said:
Personally i think Family Guy is bloody hilarious, albiet a lot of the jokes aren't exactly high-brow. Someone also implied that Futurama's a very funny show- i beg to differ. I love Futurama, but at best the show makes me chuckle. Family Guy has me laughing my ass off.

I have also come across some pretty funny American stand-up comedians, Reginald D Hunter comes to mind, he's done live shows in the UK.

Americans can be funny of course, like any nationality- personally though i think Britain and Ireland does humour better though. :p
I completely forgot about Futurama and standup comedians. Reginald D Hunter and Rich Hall are some of my favourite comedians.
Also, I find Penn & Teller funny, although they're entertainers/magicians, so I'm not sure they count in this debate of American humour.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian) for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.
Uh huh, how about Friends? And what British humor is everybody constantly raving about?