An Apology to Jon Finkel

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
I actually doubt this will impact her negatively at all. Sure, she'll be a target for a while, but soon enough everyone will forget this ever happened. What I'm hoping, though, is that people who shrug off such internet callousness, who see treating people badly as "no big deal," might pause and think about the genuine implications of doing this to another human being. The ship has sailed on giving Alyssa a conscience, but perhaps we can stop the next would-be Alyssa from forming. It's a small chance, I know, but I'll take what I can get.
Sadly, the sort of person that displays that kind of callousness toward others is the sort that lacks empathy with others. They only consider the immediate, local consequences of their actions. If nothing bad happens for Alyssa, the only visible consequences to those people are "fame" and "money." They aren't forced to see that doing this to others doesn't just allow the same to happen to you, it ensures it.

If we are only able to appeal to conscience, rather than consequence, I'm afraid we're stuck preaching to the choir. Thankfully, the article was mostly seen by folks more apt to sympathize with Jon than with Alyssa--a sort of "false flag" tactic.

Fenix7

Jun 14, 2011
I love you Susan Arendt.

It made me incredibly angry when I first read that woman's blog, but after reading your opening post I was reminded that not everyone is like her. THANK YOU.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
GunboatDiplomat said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Well. I have only one thing to say to Alyssa Bereznak. Fuck you, whore.
Ah, now this is refreshing honesty. Alyssa doesn't want to fuck someone for seemingly frivolous reasons. Therefore she must be a prostitute. And prostitution is morally wrong and womens fault. So we won't call it prostitution but whoring. Then its a hop skip and jump to saying she deserves what she gets. Assault, beating, rape. Why stop there?
Thanks for putting words in my mouth there. Yeah. Assault, beat and rape her. That's what I said. She is not campaigning for women's rights. She isn't a crusader. She is a rather callous person that chose to publicly humiliate a man whose hobbies weren't her own. If this had been a man doing the same about a woman, I'm quite confident there would have been the same uproar.

My comments came from a personal experience I've had with women like her. Defend that utter ***** all you like. What she did was wrong and I'll use whatever language I please to describe her.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I would just like to address a few points very quickly, then let everyone carry on with the discussion:

1. However reprehensible Alyssa's actions, it is not ok to wish physical harm upon her. That's uncool and just plain bad karma. Don't do it.

2. Similarly, mocking her for her appearance is no better than mocking someone for enjoying a good game of Magic. We can't all be supermodels. So knock that shit right off, ok?

3. I understand that I don't actually speak for all of womankind, and that it wasn't necessary for me to apologize for something I didn't do. It was simply my way of expressing my outrage at the unprofessional, callous, and indecent way she behaved, and to offer support for someone who I felt deserved better treatment. Speaking for myself, kind words from strangers can sometimes mean even more than those of friends in times of stress and strife. Your friends have to stick up for you after all, but strangers have no such obligation.

4. During my tenure at this site, The Escapist has won six Webby Awards and was named as one of Time's Best 50 Web Sites of the Year. Before joining The Escapist, I wrote for numerous publications including 1up and Wired. As one of the few female editors in this industry, I get plenty of recognition all by myself - I don't need to write about something controversial to increase my visibility, or pad traffic. I chose to call attention to this matter because it was something that mattered to me personally, for a variety of reasons. None of which, I can assure you, was sucking up to the male members of our audience.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Samurai Goomba said:
Good to know you gave this complex and highly intelligent post the consideration it deserved.

The problem isn't that neither of you speak for womankind, the problem is what this article is saying, is that staff at the escapist who happen to be female believe they should apologize on behalf of all women, everywhere, to a bunch of men for the actions of ONE woman. You really don't see how you're enabling sexist, passive-aggressive "internet nice guy" behavior by supporting this idea that women have an obligation to apologize over one stupid person? I sure feel no such sense of obligation to say "sorry" to womankind when Bob Chipman is drooling over female movie stars or slapping up cheesecake pictures in an out-of-place way.

What I'm trying to say, is I don't care what your opinion is about the actual issue. I just feel we're already living in a regressive state of society for women in terms of basic rights and how they are perceived by men (check some the new shows coming out in the fall if you don't believe sexism is making a mainstream return in the 'States in a big way), and this article is enabling sexist behavior because of a) who the readership is (primarily young males, including some who already have sexist biases against women) and b) how this article is presented (that this is somehow the problem of all women.)

Thanks for your time, everybody, hopefully we'll get some discussion out of this topic somewhere down the road. I've already seen several fairly blatantly anti-female posts come out of this article thanks to flimsy rationalizations and "oh this woman is a jerk, and I remember some woman from my past broke my heart, so all women=bad" nonsense, so I think my point is well-supported by circumstantial evidence.
The irony here is staggering. A guy was publicly humiliated by a journalist in such a way that implies he is the kind of 'disaster date' that awaits women who venture into the online dating realm simply because he has a hobby that others might consider geeky? And that's not sexist in any way shape or form, to stereotype him as some kind of neckbearded basement dweller because he's a champion fantasy card player? What's more, you're willing to immediately make the kind of presumptions about men that you preach against men having about women, ie, that most of the people on this site are sexist young males. I thought the entire point of this article was actually to encourage that people make less presumptions, IE: 'Hey, we're all ladies who like geeky pasttimes, don't assume on the basis of one shitty date that all women will dump you because of this.' You couldn't have missed the point any further.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
To be honest I think the problem is that Ms. Bereznak and her defenders seem to be missing the reason why everyone is pissed off entirely. For example:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/08/alyssa_bereznak_gizmodo_magic.php

Not only does she completely miss the point entirely, she also manages to do much the same as Ms. Bereznak did. Manages to be incredibly insulting for no reason at all. I must say... Stay classy.

The Reverend

Jan 28, 2008
All the bruhaha aside, I very much doubt Mr Finkel is not going to have a shortage of female suitors after all this has died down.
I reckon Ms. Bereznak has done Finkel a (albiet inadvertant) favour by posting her article, and also given MTC a bit of exposure too.
Bright sides, this situation has one.

Herr Uhl

Sep 25, 2010
Considering the amount of bile I've seen thrown at her over the last few days, the guys and girls of "nerdland" are infinitely more vicious than her.

Naming examples of bad dates is bad form though.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Isn't Kotaku on the Gawker network? I always knew these guys weren't really gamers. Just a bunch of pricks and nerd-haters.
Plus, their new website's UI is really bad.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
When is this damn thing gonna be dropped? I've heard about it through 3 different sites now and it really doesn't deserve all the attention it's getting.

Yeah, people say shit about other people on the internet, it happens. Anyone on the internet for any period of time develops the thick skin to deal with it, and Jon was no different, if you read any of the AMA on Reddit, you'll know he essentially shrugged it off as a typical mean-spirited thing that happens every day on the net.

Can we all get over this and drop it?

Feb 13, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
There is, however, no way to say this nicely. While I have great respect for your contributions to the escapist forums in most discussions, I feel you're just plain wrong on this point, or are giving undue weight to certain areas.
That's fair enough. It'd be boring if I was right all the time. :)

I think you've made some tremendous leaps of faith though with my train of thought.

And I think we'll leave the question of whether it was right to post it to those involved. Two gents discussing whether ladies have a right to post something would shatter the irony meter.

It's not right that you should have to "suck it up" when you feel unhappy. It isn't. And you shouldn't. WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT and so forth. :p
Yep
However, this is EXACTLY the excuse given for why many men will decide all women are evil, or all women are only good for sex, etc.
Whoa...hold on Skippy!
This forum ...
WHOA MULE WHOA....

Let's step back a bit.

You're talking about these lot aren't you?

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming
We may recognise these little tykes from online games and forums. They aren't representative of us in any way. They also will say they'll fuck anything that comes their way. That's not misogyny, that's mindless misanthropy. Huge difference.
Do you perhaps remember me apologising for David Icke or Keith Vaz (as they're Leicesterites)?
'Kay. I don't think you should feel obligated, though.
I do though. And so does Susan and the others from their posts. We care about how our particular group is viewed, but it's incredibly difficult to look after all of the mouths at once.

The insinuation women are smarter is as laughable to me as the claims made on the Nice Guys forum that women are only good for sex.
They're emotionally smarter because they have to be. We get off really lightly in puberty given what women go through, and they have to learn how to cope with their body. We don't. Never have done really. We just fall back on fight/flight.

so some of the guys will respond with insinuations of violence because they've been hurt in the past and want to associate payback. This isn't a bad thing. Sorry, I really think it is.
This is catharsis in the same way that an FPS or a driving game is. Except, unlike these examples, this "catharsis" is damaging to real-life people and affects society at large when enough people believe it.
You want to pick a YouTube video at random and see how may insinuations of violence there are on it? Do you think they bleed through to the real world? Do you think Religion, Politics, Science, Cheese, Grapes, DRM don't cause these same insinuations?

Your opinion doesn't sound unclouded by anger if you're saying women kinda deserve to be railed against by sexist men because OH NO those men got dumped. :)
And if I had have said that, I would have kicked my own ass. What I'm saying is that guys that get dumped rail against women. No deserve in there. It's an excuse, nothing more. And not a valid one. Equally the women who rail against men.

For every case like yours where a genuine nice guy got thrown over for no good reason (my assumption), there's an imbecile who THINKS he is amazing who women rightly steered clear of when they realized he's a creepy Kevin Bacon serial killer in the making.
Agreed. But a lot of those Kevin Bacon types are actually serial womanizers. They're not representative of the "nice guy", they're just appearing as it.

but I see a lot of sexism online
Man, I see far more sexism in real life.
and I don't think these kinds of articles help.
I think they do. Susan and co. definitely think they do. On the balance of probabilities, they have a better chance of being right, as they have a LOT more experience in that area.

As I said, you can see evidence of sour grapes morphing into "women who aren't nerds like Susan are evil and mean" sentiments already in the comments.
Again, ANY YouTube video. This is nothing to do with reaction to Susan's words.
Well, I've got a billy club. You round up the woman-haters, I'll bop 'em on the head while you shove a picture of Mary Wollstonecraft in their faces.
There's a little bit more to it than that...

GunboatDiplomat said:
Germaine Greer once wrote something like "most women have no idea how much men despise them."
She also said "You're only young once, but you can be immature forever. "

But the one I like for this situation is
Germaine Greer said:
The most threatened group in human societies as in animal societies is the unmated male: the unmated male is more likely to wind up in prison or in an asylum or dead than his mated counterpart. He is less likely to be promoted at work and he is considered a poor credit risk.
Root of all evil, I'm happier you seem to be on the soft, fluffy end of misogyny rather than the physically violent end.
Oh, you little tease with your insinuations.

mi·sog·y·ny n.Hatred of women.
That's funny, I thought I was defending Susan and co. No matter.

Here's a funny little thing though, Gunboat. Try typing misogyny, misanthropy and misandry into the spell-checker. Which one does it ignore as a real word?

Which one doesn't seem to be recognised?

(By the way, I do love the way you've managed to turn a discussion on dating into one on abuse, battery and rape - that takes real misdirection)

For an example, how about this?
Or as one of your fellow travellers puts it:
Fellow travellers? Doc Theta Sigma? That's quite a strange link to make, given that the only thing we really share is being male. Do you have a dislike of men, Gunboat? Would you call it a hatred?

Either way, I don't think I'll be paying you any more attention. Your blatant use of smokescreens, absurd reductions, ad hominem attacks and trying to relate your privileged position to the women who suffered to bring you freedom sickens me.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
I'm sorry Jon had a bad date, but hey, I'm single and wouldn't begrudge him for being a nerd. I also knit too. (Well a lot actually.)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I would just like to address a few points very quickly, then let everyone carry on with the discussion:

1. However reprehensible Alyssa's actions, it is not ok to wish physical harm upon her. That's uncool and just plain bad karma. Don't do it.
That should really go without saying.
Susan Arendt said:
2. Similarly, mocking her for her appearance is no better than mocking someone for enjoying a good game of Magic. We can't all be supermodels. So knock that shit right off, ok?
Yes, let's not lower ourselves to her level eh?

Vuirneen

Nov 16, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
There are such things as knitting machines? I had no idea...
They're old tec, too. My grandad used one to make jumpers for my mum and her siblings.

Vuirneen

Nov 16, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
That'll do it. I remember when my mom switched from smaller needles to larger ones because of problems with her hands. The next pair of wool slippers I got didn't fit so well!
And they were probably really thick, too. I hope she worked out the new gauge for your second pair.

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
I read about this a day or so ago. I myself am a mtg player, though i don't play all that often now. It made sad and a bit angry to read her article, partly because i am a mtg player myself, partly because i know of, and respect Jon Finkel (though my favourite mtg player of all time is Kai Budde; can't beat the Juggernaut, heh :) ). But what makes me angriest of all is that i think this is at least partly what she wanted: publicity. After all, as they say: there's no such thing as bad publicity.

So the fact that we're talking about her, and giving her more exposure means she kind of achieved her goal, i think. I'm not saying what she did should be overlooked, because it shouldn't be. But letting her have the publicity she wanted, seems wrong somehow.

Also, for all the people saying she has the right to an opinion: she does, but as a professional journalist, she does not have the right to slander in her articles an individual that has done nothing wrong, and blast him on professional techblog, based simply on her personal feelings.

I do agree though that this apology was not needed, in my opinion. It's a nice gesture, sure, but ladies, you were not the ones that did this. It is not you fault. I have never understood why people apologize for things that are not their fault.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
So, do the ladies of "Geekland" all have ridiculously perky breasts and over-sized eyes? Do any of them look like normal women?

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Varya said:
Great that you bring it up, it's people like her that makes us (well, me at least) hesitate before mentioning our geeky side.
On the contrary. This is exactly why you should mention your geeky side early on. There are women out there who like nerds. If there weren't, I wouldn't be very happily married for the past two years to a girl I started dating over 10 years ago in high school. You deserve to know up front if you're dating a potential shallow ***** like this woman.
Maybe I should have expressed myself more clearly. That's why I feel insecure about it, but that doesn't mean I don't sport my Green Lantern T-shirt right now.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
questionnairebot said:
Varya said:
questionnairebot said:
I just have a single Question...Why is this news or notification worthy? I fail to see the need to know about the high school type girls bad mouthing needs to be seen. If she wants to be a ***** let her. If she thinks treating other people online is fun or cool then let her. If we all stop talking about her eventually she will go away.
If a journalist publicly humiliates someone for no good reason, she deserved to be shunned. Besides, this is the internet, it's been buzzing about her all day today and yesterday. Internet will always be buzzing. It's good then that the Escapist talks about it, and officially distances themselves from unprofessional journalism.
But if it was never brought up here i would have never heard about it and my day would have continued as it always does. With relative easy and no care for what a girl says online about someone.
So we should actively try and keep people from finding out that a "professional" journalist is being a *"@$? We should let people who have already heard of it believe the journalism and gaming community is OK with it, since it's not brought up. Ever herd about silence being a form of consent?
It was already big news, whether you knew about it or not, so the right thing to do is address it.