An Apology to Jon Finkel

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I knew nothing of the date or anything until I read this article and I simply can't believe this. So very sorry Mr. Finkel on behalf of all good-hearted women who would loath to be around someone like Alyssa. You're the better person for taking it so well and there are much better women out there who would not only not mind you playing Magic, but would join in the game! Better luck to you sir.

And way to go Susan for calling Alyssa on her crap. It's mean girls like that, that makes it harder for men and women to interact.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
Nimcha said:
Sheesh, way to overreact. People publicy humiliate each other over internet all the time, why did this go viral?
Because it is a story of
1) Dealing with internet drama as you should. "Respawn and carry on" and all that.
2) Why we have to police our borders. people SHOULDNT be publicly humiliating each other every day. Most of the time its harmless, but some peoples weak points are exposed and take massive damage from it.

One of our own has been wronged, and thats not cool. Im not suggest she be greifed until she bleeds, but she should know that turd wont float.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Huh, I had not heard of this before, but yeah, that was not a very classy thing to do. If you want to bash someone for being a jerk on a date, that's one thing. But for having a "nerdy" hobby? Come on.

Makes me glad I have a wife who plays Magic with me.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Gizmodo Australia is way ahead of you:

(Not my screenshot, credit goes to grumblichu over on Reddit)

Link to artical:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/08/alyssa-bereznak-just-reminded-us-that-women-can-be-predators-online-too/

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Yet more proof, that it you don't need to have a dick, to be a dick.

Honestly, I don't have a clue about MTG or anything like that, but some people really need to let the little things slide when looking for love.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Who... wait.... what?

No idea who any of them are, nor what's going on.
You have to read the article. I know that may be hard but it's generally what you do on a news site.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
I don't usually condone violence but her physical and emotional pain would really better my mood.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Great that you bring it up, it's people like her that makes us (well, me at least) hesitate before mentioning our geeky side.
I don't really think you should have to apologize for her behavior, yet it's still nice to see that you distance yourselves to her.

As you said, the bad part wasn't not wanting to date a nerd, it was using MtG as the sole excuse to dismiss him, then call him dishonest and finally blog about him, using his name. That's a major dick move.
questionnairebot said:
I just have a single Question...Why is this news or notification worthy? I fail to see the need to know about the high school type girls bad mouthing needs to be seen. If she wants to be a ***** let her. If she thinks treating other people online is fun or cool then let her. If we all stop talking about her eventually she will go away.
If a journalist publicly humiliates someone for no good reason, she deserved to be shunned. Besides, this is the internet, it's been buzzing about her all day today and yesterday. Internet will always be buzzing. It's good then that the Escapist talks about it, and officially distances themselves from unprofessional journalism.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Didn't he win the World Series of Poker?

That's 3.5 Million reasons for that wench to shut her damn mouth.

haaxist

Sep 21, 2009
Way to go for enforcing the stereotype that women are shallow, asinine bitches who won't give a man the time of day if he isn't into EXACTLY the same things as she is. I would like to add my apologies on behalf of that conniving troll's behaviour. So sorry that you wasted your time on this pretentious twat, Jon.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
OH! FOR SHAME! He's actually a really good looking guy. Hell I'd date him and I'm picky with my guys. I feel the incredible urge to throw something rotting at her on a stage now.......However I will be nice right now and just say for shame to her because seriously, she is so lucky to have gotten that second date

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Monoochrom said:
I find it rather ironic that people would look down on something like magic, but then they watch poker tournaments...
In that case, the irony is that the good Mr Finkel has been doing a lot of poker playing in recent years (shortly after he dropped off the M:tG scene, or sort of, since about 2005-2006-ish).

Also, you can safely bet that he's the one who's got all the money. He's a freakin' hedge fund managing partner for fuck's sake!

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Ah, our Queen has spoken--and spoken well. If Alyssa finds nerds and their hobbies despicable, I'm sure they return the favor in equal amount.