An Apology to Jon Finkel

pillinjer

Feb 12, 2010
666Chaos said:
Abandon4093 said:
Who... wait.... what?

No idea who any of them are, nor what's going on.

Some girl went on a date with Jon Finkel. She was turned off by the fact that he played MTG. She then went and wrote on a blog about how nerdy it was and talked about her date with him.

Now a bunch of idiotic twats are blowing the whole thing out of proportion. The intelligent thing would have just been to ignore the attention whoring little ***** that she was. Sadly that will never happen and the mentally retarded drones of the internet are giving the girl exactly what she wants.
You forgot the fact she published it on a major tech blog. Its a little different from putting a personal blog from putting it on something like the escapist or in this case gizmodo.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
666Chaos said:
Abandon4093 said:
Who... wait.... what?

No idea who any of them are, nor what's going on.

Some girl went on a date with Jon Finkel. She was turned off by the fact that he played MTG. She then went and wrote on a blog about how nerdy it was and talked about her date with him.

Now a bunch of idiotic twats are blowing the whole thing out of proportion. The intelligent thing would have just been to ignore the attention whoring little ***** that she was. Sadly that will never happen and the mentally retarded drones of the internet are giving the girl exactly what she wants.

Sorry about the rant I just think that the people making a big deal about it are far far dumber then this girl.
She didn't write on a blog, she was paid, as a journalist, for her work, which called him out by name. She shouldn't get to earn a living by being a jerk to someone who did absolutely nothing to her. He had his personal life exposed on a successful publication - he didn't ask for that, or deserve it. Whatever your think of the content of the post itself, her decision to use his real name was reprehensible; her employers clearly agree, as they edited it out after the fact.

But if you'd like to think I'm an "idiotic twat" for thinking that she should act like a professional, that's fine, too.

Esper Empress

May 10, 2011
I understand what she did was wrong, but I've met more guys who made fun of girls for being nerdy to (like me and my friends), so it's a two way street. She did what she did and that's the end of that. Luckily, Jon is a mature enough guy to laugh it off and just get on with his life.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
666Chaos said:
Susan Arendt said:
She didn't write on a blog, she was paid, as a journalist, for her work, which called him out by name. She shouldn't get to earn a living by being a jerk to someone who did absolutely nothing to her.

But if you'd like to think I'm an "idiotic twat" for thinking that she should act like a professional, that's fine, too.
I simply think that the intelligent thing to do would have been to ignore her instead of giving her all of this attention. Since when has making a big deal out of something as minor as this ever been a good idea? Her being unprofessional is an issue that should be dealt with between her and her employer. Was she out of line? Well the answer to that is obviously yes. Should we make a big deal out of it? I really dont think so. If people have a complain about it they should email the company she works for. If they get enough complaints then they would probably drop her. When the very man she was apparently humiliating doesnt really care about this issue why should we?

Instead we are just giving her and that site a ton of free publicity.

I also feel as a journalist you should learn how to read as well. I never once said you were an idiotic twat for thinking she should act like a professional. I said people who are making a big deal out of this when it really is not one are idiotic twats.

The only thing that could possibly make this situation any more hilarious is if she was on a contract where she got paid by the number of hits on her articles/blog whatever they are.
I can read quite well, though perhaps I simply was incorrect in my assessment that you thought I was making a big deal.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
So this is what the commotion that I could vaguely be aware of through my smartphone during the workday was all about? I thought that girl had strangled someone. And all she did was write a slightly mean post about how some guy is a nerd and that's bad?

God. Grow up, nerds.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
questionnairebot said:
I just have a single Question...Why is this news or notification worthy? I fail to see the need to know about the high school type girls bad mouthing needs to be seen. If she wants to be a ***** let her. If she thinks treating other people online is fun or cool then let her. If we all stop talking about her eventually she will go away.
but she's not a high school type girl, she's a journalist and should be professional.
now imagine if she didnt write on the internet, and this was in a national newspaper. and it was about YOU.

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
Thank you, not for the apology, but for stopping double standards that appears to happen a lot these days. If a man does something quite often it is sexist, but if the shoe's on the other foot, it's perfectly acceptable.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
I saw some of her twitter updates, and yes, she is indeed a stuck-up, rude, bad person (I could say other words, but I won't). Girls can be snarky and stuck up just like guys.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
Christa Charter said:
I think she's lucky she got a second date with him. I'd hit that (y'know if I was single).
yes!! ^ She should feel lucky. MTG champion? Totally my type.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
I'm not gay but if I was to go for any man it would be a Magic world champion.

I jest, I jest, but seriosuness that was a complete dick move to judge him on a harmless passtime he enjoys, but to publicly insult him like that. How is playing a card game any more geeky that playing video games? If a girl has a problem with my geeky interests then she is a girl I don't want to be with, no matter how attractive.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Alas this is neither the first nor the last time that someone has or will be looked down upon because of something ultimately insignificant like their hobbies.

Nimcha said:
Sheesh, way to overreact. People publicy humiliate each other over internet all the time, why did this go viral?
While that is true that a) doesn't make it acceptable and b) doubley isn't acceptible where in this case the person who was named and shamed hadn't actually done anything wrong (enjoying something that is typically viewed as 'nerdy' isn't exactly grounds for publicly chastising someone).

Susan, you're apology is accepted and in return I hereby appologise for the equally tactless behavior shown by men (I personally believe that men and women are just as bad as each other when it comes to acting like this).